CatEye Strada Computers

• Programmable Odometer
  • Auto start/stop
  • Auto power-saving mode
  • Pace arrow
  • Universal speed magnet and sensor

Submitted by heathb a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2010

Strengths:    Very cheap to run and own. Reliable. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    The wires can be a little unsitely to those that obesess over every little detail of how their bike looks...seems a lot of people these days have this problem.

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure why all these other reviews are so bad. Of course some of these people are posting that this is a wireless unit. It's actually a wired computered, thus making it extremely reliable. I've got several of these on my bikes along with a cateye cadence wired as well. Never had a problem. I have had problems with the wireless cateyes and the agrivation of having a computer stop reading during a race brought me to the conclusion that wired even though lacking the sexyness of a wireless system, is still the way to go even in 2010.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cateye double wireless, Cateye V2c, Cateye strada wireless. Blackburn Nero 4.0.

Bike Setup:   Madone 6.9, Cervelo S2, Trek XO1 for commuting. Redline cyclocross.

Submitted by twain a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2010

Strengths:    - light
- easy to read screen
- easy to use
- coded wireless transmission
- looks cool
- easy to set up

Weaknesses:    - sensor is sensitive; needs to be close to the magnet
- the trip odo resets to zero if you stop riding for any length of time. This blows away the avg/max speeds. It does have an "odo 2" that measure total distance since reset but I wish the reset time was longer in the standard mode

Bottom Line:
I found this on Jittery Joes website at a ridiculous discount. It has the JJoes logo and looks pretty darn cool.
Fortunately, I haven't had the same durability concerns as others. I love that it's wireless and coded; I don't get interference from telephone lines and the timing triggers at races. It's also cool how it can mount on the handlebar or stem.

Favorite Ride:   Old La Honda

Purchased At:   jittery joes online

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Wintech (elegant a bit of a PIA to set up)
db4lw-the cheap wireless Perf bike ones. They actually work great but are prone to interference (I went 70mph?!)

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R3 and Scott Plasma

Submitted by petewrig a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2010

Strengths:    Design, look

Weaknesses:    Everything else, it just simply DOES NOT WORK

Bottom Line:
Nice design, would be great if it worked. It does not work. I have been through three, they are consistent, all three failed in the exact same thorough way. First was replaced by Cateye, third I stupidly was talked into by LBS because "they have fixed the problem" I believe what makes it nice (the way the unit sits in the harness and is itself the only button) is also what makes it fail. After some riding, perhaps from vibration the connection to the harness contact points fails and you look down and realize you are going '0Mph' which means your mileage is not right, which means if you are on a 200 mile cue sheet brevet you are lost, which makes you want to hurt someone at Cateye.

Favorite Ride:   road

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by Slip Stream a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2009

Strengths:    Its menu is easy to operate.

Weaknesses:    It does not work.

Bottom Line:
Piece of crap. It is inaccurate at best. It displays 0 mph more often than actual speed. Do not buy this cyclopoter.

Favorite Ride:   Tarmac or dirt between here and there

Purchased At:   all3sports

Similar Products Used:   Many other Cateye cycloputers.

Submitted by schlaefer88 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to read and operate.

Weaknesses:    Unreliable on bumpy rides.

Bottom Line:
I agree that this unit becomes unreliable on long rides over bumpy roads. I bought this unit for my weekend fun bicycle and have used it now for three century rides as well as several longer rides. During the Tierra Bella century ride I noticed that the computer would suddenly register 0 then 12 then finally return to my downhillspeed (30mph). This happened quite frequently during the ride, particularly when the road vibration was great (poor pavement, higher speeds). At first I thought that the vibration had moved the sensor in relation to the magnet, but this was not the case. While the odometer is usually accurate, it ended up loosing 7 miles on a 100 mile ride. Not acceptable.

Favorite Ride:   Look 451

Purchased At:   SVBC Auction

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Mity, Performance Axiom.

Bike Setup:   All Ultegra, Look ergo post, Rido saddle. Bontrager RaceLite(?) wheels with Ultragator Skins.

Novara Divano or Novara Strada

Hey guys I am new to biking in general and I thought my First bike should be a road bike. I have looked around for some entry level road bikes like the Cannondale CAAD8, Trek 1.1, Giant Defy series etc. But I have only had the chance to test out the two Novara Bikes. The Novara Divano and the Novara ... Read More »

TDF Garmin or Strada Ride?

Any one know if they publish any of the riders Garmin/Strada stats? I think it would be cool to see.Read More »

ideas for attaching Cateye Strada computer pickups?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has ideas on attaching my Cateye cadence pickup? The LBS installed the computer when I purchased the bike and they chose to use small zip ties to attach the magnetic pickup to the crank, the problem is the zip tie doesn't hold the pickup firmly in place, allowing it to ... Read More »

CatEye Strada Cadence Bicycle Computer CC-RD200 stopped working :(

Hi All, I had bought this bike computer: CatEye Strada Cadence Bicycle Computer CC-RD200 and suddenly now its not sensing anything. The computer is working but looks like the magnets have some problem. anybody else experienced this ? I havn't even completed a year on this one so I am plann ... Read More »

Cateye Strada wireless computer recs..?

the trusty ol' Cateye Vectra that I've had since the early 90s died tonite...hard to say how many miles that thing has logged... so, given it history of reliability, I kinda want to stay with Cateye. looking at the Strada wireless... anyone have comments...like it, hate it?Read More »