CatEye V2c Computers

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

Broadband for your bicycle. The beloved Strada design takes a huge leap forward with the new wireless V2c. The latest 2.4GHz digital data transmission virtually eliminates interference and cross-talk, while the large screen simultaneously displays speed, cadence and time information. New integrated buttons keep a low profile but provide great feel and control.

The patent pending sensor unit combines the speed and cadence sensors into one sleek, reliable piece that mounts on the chainstay. The FlexTight™ bracket fits virtually all stems and handlebars.

V2c: Half a million times faster than other wireless systems. Step up your cyclocomputer performance. Step up your personal performance.

Functions:
Current speed & cadence
Average speed & cadence
Maximum speed & cadence
Distance
Odometer
Countdown distance
Timer
Lap time, distance, average speed & number
Total time, clock & date

Pace arrow speed & cadence

Specifications:
Fits almost any handlebar or stem: 22-31.8mm
Fits almost any fork: 11-55mm
Batteries: CR2032 x 2 (1 each for head unit and sensor)

Submitted by CO Cruising a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2011

Strengths:    Having a single sensor mount for odometer and cadence, not on the front fork, has worked out very well. Characters are easy to read. Provides flexibility to use hear rate monitor for other activities.

Weaknesses:    The battery in the sensor tends to be a bit short lived, lasts about one season, but is available at the local grocery.

Bottom Line:
The V2c has worked great on my road bike and it does not interfere with my Polar heart rate monitor. Installation was straight-forward. I did pad the spoke magnet a bit with a small piece of frame saver tape as not to damage the flat spoke, no slipage. I've ridden in some adverse weather at high altitude without any issues.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Micro Wireless

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R3, Specialized Fusee SL Wheels, Specialized Carbon S-Works SL Handlebar

Submitted by Tommy Walker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2010

Strengths:    Ease of use; allows you to set display. The broadband marketing pitch is a good one because I have not had problems where some of my friends have had problems with the different brands they use.

Weaknesses:    Documentation. It's easier to figure out how to use it as oppose to referring to the manual.

Bottom Line:
Great product. I have not had any trouble with this other than the battery going out on me before an events. It has always been accurate and never had a transmission problem.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere with open roads

Purchased At:   Contees

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Strada

Bike Setup:   Cervelo RS, with Ultegra Group. Shimano RS80 Wheels

Submitted by Sknyskiman a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2008

Strengths:    Easy installation and sturdy construction. Quick data transmission. Nice mounting system. Seems very water resistant (maiden voyage was in VERY WET weather!)

Weaknesses:    Slightly small display and buttons a little harder to operate.

Bottom Line:
I bought this computer because it's the only wireless one on the market with the rear wheel sensor. With the proliferation of indoor trainers hooked up to the rear wheel, I don't understand why more companies haven't gotten on this way sooner. Seems like a no-brainer.

I previously used a Cateye Astrale wired computer with the rear wheel sensor, but switched to Specialized wireless last spring, not thinking about the recurrence of the dreaded winter indoor workouts.

Connecting this unit was very easy, and managed to do it late at night without screwing things up. The setup squence was documented reasonably well in the manual and easy to follow. Understanding the operating conventions between manual and automatic operation was also straightforward.

I love the Cateye wheel magnet too, because they don't gouge your spokes the way some others do, and don't look clunky. I was also able to mount a magnet to my Mavic R-Sys wheel's carbon (oversized) spoke with no problem.

All functions work very well. There doesn't seem to be an unusually long delay in data transfer from the sensors. The V2c even seems to be a bit quicker than my Specialized Speedzone wireless computers.

The display might be a little on the small side for some folks who are used to larger models. However, as I become more familiar with this unit, I can pick up data more at a glance than when I first started using it. The display light is a really nice feature too.

The buttons are a bit harder to operate since they're so small,and also seem to require more force to activate. On the flipside, you get a very solid feeling of this computer when pushing the function buttons.

Overall this is a very nice computer, and is solidly compact. The stem mounting system also allows you to place the computer more forward which makes viewing easier when in the standing position.

I've always been very satisfied with Cateye computers and other products. I rated this a 5 in spite of the minor inconveniences, because this unit delivers all that I'd want from a bike computer of this style.

Favorite Ride:   Sonoma/Mendocino County coastal hills

Purchased At:   Norcal Bikesport

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Astrale, Vetta, Specialized (Turbo and Speedzone models)

Bike Setup:   Carbon wrapped Landshark frame, SRAM Red components, Mavic Ksyrium ES wheels, FSA Wing handlebars, Look Keo pedals, Michelin Pro tires.

Submitted by tholeebiking a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2008

Strengths:    ease of setup, clear display.

Weaknesses:    faulty transmitter, need to turn on computer everytime you stop for an extended period of time. buttons are somewhat difficult to push

Bottom Line:
I bought this computer from an Ebay user that was selling it because he had an SRM. The V2c is easy to set up. I have been having some problems with the transmitter hanging. To restore service, you need to reset the transmitter and set the computer to rediscover the transmitter. I called Cateye tech support and described the problem to them. They had not heard of many problems and determine the problem to be a faulty transmitter. They are sending me a new one. What great customer service! We'll see if the replacement fixes my problem. I have been a cateye fan for many years.

Favorite Ride:   Polhemus loop

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   cateye astrale (original one), cateye cd300dw

Bike Setup:   cervelo r3 sl with dura-ace, easton ea90 slx wheels, fizik aliante saddle, syntace seatpost

Submitted by theychosenone a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2008

Strengths:    Better display unit, bigger numbers to see compared to the Cateye Double Wireless. Smaller and compact unit.

Weaknesses:    Unreliable unit. The Cateye Double Wireless didn't give me as much trouble.

Bottom Line:
Purchased this a couple of months back. Although settings were correct and in Auto mode, the transmitter often stops transmission to the computer unit so halfway through a ride, the speed and distance measurements stop completely. I had to reset the transmitter, and resync it with the computer, before things start running again. Annoying..

Hopefully the exchanged unit will work better, which is taking a while to get to me too.