Garmin Edge 205 Computers

3.67/5 (12 Reviews)

Take your ride to the next level with the Edge 205—Garmin's GPS-enabled personal trainer and cycle computer. Perfect for touring and the trails, the lightweight Edge is the ultimate fitness partner. With the easy-to-use Edge 205 on your bike, you always know where you're going and how far you've gone. For advanced cyclists, the Edge 305 is available with either a heart rate monitor or a wireless speed/pedaling cadence sensor to help you achieve your personal best.

The Edge 205 measures speed, distance, time, calories burned, altitude, plus much more.

Submitted by Bob a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2010

Strengths:    Rechargable, competent data recorder, clean look, easy to switch between bikes

Weaknesses:    Speed, gradient, and altitude are dismally inaccurate. More like estimates than actual data.

Bottom Line:
The Garmin 205 is just okay. It doesn't suffer from the reliability problems of the 305, but it's moment-to-moment display is woefully inaccurate. I've seen consistent errors of -5mph while riding under tree cover. The altitude is plus or minus 100 feet, which makes the gradient data absolutely laughable and the cumulative altitude gain (on Garmin Connect.com only, not able to display on the unit) 25% high (compared to my Cateye altimeter)

On the plus side, it's easy to switch bike to bike and has a very clean look, no wires, magnets or fork pickups. I use it mainly as a data recorder, as its distance and average speed are spot on, and there are numerous tools you can use to track your data and compare it to others, Strava.com, Ascent, etc. I like the rechargable battery so I'm not always polluting landfills with dead watch batteries.

I guess I like it in spite of its limitations, but if I had paid the $249 asking price I might feel differently.

I have my eye on an Edge 305 with heart rate and the speed/cadence sensor.

Favorite Ride:   Mt. Hamilton

Purchased At:   Gift from friend

Similar Products Used:   Avocet, Cateye, Polar, CiclioSpport, etc.

Bike Setup:   Tommasini Sintesi with Ultegra/Dura Ace, John Howard with C-Record, Single Speed Bob Loblaw Law Bomb

Submitted by itsvegasbaby a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2009

Strengths:    Extensive data collection

Weaknesses:    Poor reliability
Poor battery life
No cumulative mileage so if you go out of town and are not by your computer to download, you will lose your data.
Handle bar mount is pretty cheesy

Bottom Line:
I have the Edge 305 and am happy with it for the most part. It collects extensive data that allows me to compete with myself ride for ride so I think it is a good training aid. I have used the 305 for about 10 months now. It has just recently started shutting down every time I go over a bump or some rough pavement so it is going back to the factory today. The handle bar mount is pretty cheesy. For this kind of money, you should get something a little more substantial than a zip tie.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere with the wind at my back

Purchased At:   Amazon

Bike Setup:   Trek 2300

Submitted by rileyvmiller a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2009

Strengths:    NONE. it does everything a $15 cyclo-computer does only WORSE!!!!

Weaknesses:    Basically, everything. The "mapping" functions are terrible, and the "cyclo-computer" maths are also terrible. Here's a re-cap of suck-ass "features" for the Garmin 205. Plus a few others that just came to light.

1. Very Inaccurate. 22MPH or 27MPH? 4% or 16% Gradient? MAKE UP YOUR $&#@ing MIND!!!!
2. The GPS "Navigation" is utterly useless.
4. No heart rate monitor (WTF?)
5. No Cadence (WTF?)
6. Battery life sucks horribly
7: Complaining about the 205 doesn't make me feel better
8. The colors don't match my bike
9. It got my sister pregnant
10. It does not remove unwanted lipstick stains on my collar
11. It is not microwave-safe
12. I think it's a racist. At least culturally biased.

Bottom Line:
I'm sorry, but I am EXCEPTIONALLY disappointed with this piece of crap. I will innumerate my gripes: 1. Very Inaccurate. Any trees or light clouds, and the thing fluctuates +/- 3MPH. Don't even BOTHER with the altitude reader. I was on a climb I know for a FACT is 8% continuously. On a clear day it said I was doing 22%. Golfclap. 2. The GPS "Navigation" is utterly useless. It doesn't display road names or EVEN ROADS. It just drawn a freakin' LINE and tells you which direction North is. If you get lost, GG, the 205 is about as useful as a blow to the head. 3. No heart rate monitor (WTF?). 4. No Cadence (WTF?) 5. Battery life sucks horribly, 5-6 hrs tops.

Look, I could go on, but frankly this is just making me even more pissed off. Gripe #6: Complaining about the 205 doesn't even make me feel better!!!

Clearly this piece of #&$@ was designed by some hotshot engineer's intern and rushed into production. Someone should get the $*#$ing chair for this.

If I could give this thing negative points, like the SAT "guessing penalty" I would. I truly, truly would.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike Sho

Similar Products Used:   Malfunctioning toaster ovens, my first car (toyota tercel WAGON with cow seat covers and a blown head gasket), lamps that go through 1-2 light bulbs per week.. basically anything that sucks is a product similar to this one.

Bike Setup:   Cervelo Soloist D/A

Submitted by Andrew242 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to use. Customable screens. Durable. Very cheap!

Weaknesses:    No heartbeat recording (easily fixed).

Bottom Line:
I bought my Garmin Edge 205 cause i love bicycles, and i love technology. Me and my friend used to talk to why gps wasnt used on bikes before Garmin showed us what it could be like. It replaced my Sigma BC1600 cadence right away.
I nowdays use it with my Garmin Forerunner 50 to record my heartbeat and cadence and imports it in sporttracks which merges the gps-data and heartbeat from garmin fr50.
And the maps in sporttracks comes from google maps, so its superb.

Favorite Ride:   Bianchi

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Bianchi racer

Submitted by eedwards a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2008

Strengths:    Records alot of information. Buy this if you want to keep track of your training.

Weaknesses:    Quirky. Not a replacement for a good bicycling computer, no "off" switch and limited battery life.

Bottom Line:
I bought this thinking that it would replace my bicycle computer -- wrong. You still need a good cycle computer. The Garmin 305 is a training tool to capture a large amount of data and present it for comparison of various workouts. Once you have a good route saved (not an easy task) and the virtual training partner is working, the training rides are great.
I am disappointed that the full analysis tools are only available by subscription so, you have to pay an extra annual amount to maximize usefullness of the collected data.
The Garmin 305 is subject to battery run-down, satellite signal loss, quirky random shutoff's, and other things that make it undependable. When it is working, it is very good -- to make sure that it is collecting data, you have to watch the timer. When the timer stops, the unit has stopped collecting data even though it continues to show mph, cadence, heartbeat, etc. it is not collecting the data.

Favorite Ride:   Rockies climbs