Garmin Edge 500 Computers

3.23/5 (13 Reviews)

• Store Price

Sharpen your cycling performance with the GPS-based Edge 500 Bundle, a lightweight cycling computer for performance-driven cyclists that attaches easily to the stem or handlebars of your bike.

Submitted by Sknyski

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2013

Strengths:    Smaller size

Weaknesses:    Corruptable files
Training Center no longer supported
Intermittent operation
HR function doesn't always work
Calorie count is nowhere close to accurate in comparison to bonehead calculations

Bottom Line:
Lots of touted features, but this is the most buggy and unreliable bike computer I've ever used. It's like Garmin stuffed more features than a unit this size could handle. Sort of reminds me of an MS Windows OS - crash here, crash there, corrupt files/operation, etc. Garmin software Training Center also is no longer supported, Garmin tech support gave me some really lame excuse for discontinuing this program. When another product comes on the market with similar capabilities THAT WORK, I'll junk this unit in a heartbeat.

Submitted by ajc

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2012

Strengths:    Works sometimes.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work most of the time. My edge started out ok but has been getting harder and harder to connect with my computer. I try every reset type trick there is and it just sucks. Also the water resistant window plug for the mini usb port is pretty useless after the first week when if falls off your crappy expensive cyclometer.

Bottom Line:
I've had cheaper computers that worked way better. The only thing this has going for it is connectivity to sites like garmin connect or strava. As it is mine wont connect to either of those so my summary is that I'm frustrated and dissapointed with the unit. Wasted so much time trying to make adjustments that would help it communicate.

Submitted by Jordan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, easy to use, tons of data, all in one device (speed, cadence, heart rate, power all available in one spot), secure mount.

Weaknesses:    Garmin Training Center, glare on screen, battery life. Expensive (but worth it in my mind)

Bottom Line:
Data Machine. Provides all the data I need to maximize performance right at my fingertips. Later I can analyze my data check elevation, grade, heart rate, speed and cadence at a SPECIFIC point in right as well averages and maximums. There is sooo much data. If you are a data nerd it is fantastic

Purchased At:   Jack and Adams

Similar Products Used:   Strada Double Wireless, Polar S150

Bike Setup:   Felt FC Frame, Full Rival Group, Rol D'Huez Wheels, Fizik Arione Saddle

Submitted by jumpstumper a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2011

Strengths:    Small size, lightweight. Easy to read screen and fairly accurate

Weaknesses:    Fatal software bugs in course feature results in unit freezing and requires the 4-button reset trick to restart it.

Bottom Line:
Garmin Edge 500 is rubbish. It will do the basics fairly well - speed, cadence, altitude but the main reason I purchased this unit was for the follow course feature. Well, this feature is broken on the Edge even with the latest greatest firmware from Garmin. The unit will freeze up every time I follow a course and I'm not the only person complaining about it. Several fellow riders have the Edge 500 and every one has the same problem with the course feature. Garmin support sucks - I'm NEVER buying anything from Garmin again.

Purchased At:   amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Polar.

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Madone 6.5

Submitted by Cyclist20 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2011

Strengths:    easy to use, easy to read, easy to set up, lots of data in a small package.

Weaknesses:    Inaccurate HR monitor readings due to static between HR strap and jerseys/baselayers.

Bottom Line:
Design is great and stem mount is super easy to utilize. Most of the problems with course map and lost data have been fixed in subsequent updates to the firmware. What has not been fixed is the HR monitor issue. When it is cold(even cool)with dry air the HR monitor gives sporadic readings. Why? Well, the answer FINALLY received from Garmin was, I quote: "Technical shirts and bike jersey's may cause static with the HR monitor and that is why you're seeing the spikes. It may have been that the old battery had enough voltage to be picking up the static with the monitor and with a new battery it may be more sensitive. I'd recommend wearing a cotton shirt under your jersey to resolve your issue." Yep, cycling specific clothing seems to create static which provides the poor readings. Just wear cotton? Seriously? Tight jersey's help (less flapping in the wind). Works flawlessly in late spring through early winter.

Purchased At:   Probikeoutlet