Garmin Edge 705 GPS Bundle w Street Maps Computers

3.62/5 (13 Reviews)

The Edge 705 pushes you to do your best, then shows you the way back. It is both a trainer and navigator. This GPS-enabled cycle computer knows no limits. Get heart rate, cadence, speed, turn-by-turn directions, and power data (from ANT+Sport®-enabled third-party power meters) - the works. Even share your data with other Edge 705 buddies after your ride. All wireless with a color display, this is no ordinary cycle computer. The Edge 705 comes with a built-in basemap, plus it has a microSD card slot for adding map detail and storing workouts, courses and saved rides. Just plug in detailed MapSource® City Navigator® street maps on a preloaded data card and get turn-by-turn directions on a sunlight-readable, color display as you pedal. Add optional topo mapping for your off-road adventures. The Edge snaps easily into the included bike mount.

Submitted by Richard P. Handler, M.D. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2010

Strengths:    design is very good

Weaknesses:    Garmin is not reliable or honest. The aggravation of dealing with them is totally counter to the pleasure and relaxation of cycling. I would never purchase another Garmin product

Bottom Line:
I have the 605 which differs from 705 only in absence of cadence. My comments apply to both the 605 and 705. The unit itself is well made and thought out. Ot displays clearly and can be configured in many ways. Altitude measurements at times are off, but in general very sensitive and accurate When used properly with a ride plotted on a PC and downloaded to the Edge, ot deisplays a clear route, like an old AAA Trip Tic. Riding the maze of country roads in England it has been perfect. Here's what is wrong: Garmin is an unsatifactory and unreliable comjpany, with misrepresentation, hidden charges, and lack of responsiveness to queries. Beware: 1. If you buy the maps on conveniet micro SD cards, they will load an infinite number of times in any Edge, but they cannot be uploaded to a computer so routes cannot be platted and theunit really fucntions only as a bikie computer and altimeter. 2. If you buy maps on CD-ROM or download, you cannot transfrer them to a another computer i.e. if it is in your desk top machine, you cannot also have it in your lap top, and visa versa. 3. Purchasing any form other than the micro SD may now be impossible. GArmin told me I'd have to duplicate my map purchases on CD-ROM, so I budgeted this and ordered right off the Garmin web store, using a drop down menu to select CD-ROM. The email order confirmation stated micro SD. On the phone the store informed me that there is no version other than micro SD. htey directed me to technical support. Reaching technical support by phone is nearly impossible. They have not replied yet. My daughter-in-law had a similar experience - took them 30 days to respond to email. GArmin store directed me to return the microSD. Turns out they charge 15% restocking fee even when the problem is their fault

Favorite Ride:   So many to choose from!

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   there are no similar products from any other manufactuer yet. better to wait

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Veneto

Submitted by CrazyMadCyclist a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2010

Strengths:    GPSAbility to set up courses for training and race eventsEasy to installAnt+ to connect to power units eg iBikeAcquires sattelite reception rapidly8 data field displays for key in-ride dataRobust -- handles shock and wet conditions with not problems

Weaknesses:    Useless analysis Training software (Garmin TRianing Centre)Cant see purpose of compass screen when doing a course- useless info Useless and inadequate documentationWebsite FAQ not much use for anything other than basic Maps are VERY expensive (USD150)Help desk is useless

Bottom Line:
As a long time Polar user it took some consideration to switch and after 6 months i have no regrets. The gps unit is fantastic and has some useful features such as being able to use a course /virtual partner to train against, or I have used it in race situations where i get advance warning of wapoints of interest like summits or pre-planned attack points.The Garmin software is the let down and is quiet useless and some features do not work properly. I have found that SportsTrack (free) and Training Peak (expensive) far more useful to track and analyse rides/history and maintain a training plan. For course/ route designs the two most usefull tools i found are http://ridewithgps.com/ and http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/. Maps: Garmin offers 3 formats generally, ie SD Card, Download or CD. Whilst i always used download as is convenient, I think it would be better to buy the cd/DVD as this will enable you to access the map from you PC. Note that download and DVD options lock the map to the specific device.

I found that the cadence/speed sensor is easy to setup and attach to the bike. I would hint that approack is best to setup/tilt the cadence side first then adjust the arm to suit the space between spoke and chainstay (easy). Also you can, contrary to the FAQ on the Garmin site, use two cadence sensors on two different bikes.

Accessories: I have an iBike and upgraded to get Ant+ firmware. This works really well with Edge 705 where it is easy to get Power measurementThere are useful youTube clips for using course builder sites and setup of the Edge eg screens or accesories

Favorite Ride:   Cervelo s2

Purchased At:   Wiggle and download

Similar Products Used:   Polar cs600x - with gps : GPS acqusition and data recording was not as good as the Garmin. Small screen.

Bike Setup:   Cervelo s2DuraAce 7900 groupsetDura Ace c50 clinchers for training and Zipp 404 for racingFSA handlebars/stemTRP Carbon brakesfsa Ceramic bb and crank

Submitted by Fixed a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2010

Strengths:    Lots of features. Bright at night.

Weaknesses:    Impossible to see in bright sunlight; speed display very erratic without cadence/speed sensor attached; cannot map route on computer with detailed datacard map in unit; very expensive.

Bottom Line:
This was a complete waste of money, and I'm returning it. I had high expectations for the 705, wanting one since the day they came out. Waited for 20% off discount at Nashbar, and snatched up one with the whole package.

I wanted one primarily for these reasons: 1) I have many bikes, and it would be nice to switch one computer among them, only having to add a stem or handlebar mount (I bought 6 extras at the same time); 2) the display looks large and bright in the marketing photos; 3) the ability to map out routes in advance and receive prompts during a ride.

I was very disappointed. First, I ran the unit on my commuter bike, with my wired computer still mounted. I found that the speed display varied all over the place, within about a 3 mph range while riding on straight, level, unobscured roads. Seems that the cadence/speed sensor is required to have an accurate speed display, not just to fill in data if GPS signals are obscured. I'm not about to buy extra speed/cadence sensors for each bike, as they are expensive and I don't care about cadence display, anyway. The unit is worthless for speed display without the sensor added.

Second, the display is fine in the dark, with the backlight turned on, but I found it impossible to see in bright sunlight. Even though the numbers are large, in some settings, the background of the numerical display is also dark, with very little contrast. I found myself having to concentrate hard to read it, almost running off the road while doing so. Also, in map mode, the names of the roads are far too small to read while riding along, and you can't really read road names and see enough map area to tell where you are at the same time, requiring lots of zooming in and out.

Third, I thought I was having difficulty registering the included data card detail map, as I could not route with any detail while the unit was attached to a computer. Garmin told me I also have to purchase detail maps for the computer, as well, so even more $. I can't get it to map out a cycling route with the unit, other than a basic point to point route, which I rarely do.

Bottom line, I'm returning it. I would not use it if it cost $50, much less 10 times that.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   All sorts of bike computers, but first GPS.

Bike Setup:   13 bikes.

Submitted by tstrawbridge a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2010

Strengths:    Custom data fields
Maps!
ANT+ support
Garmin Connect

Weaknesses:    Garmin Training Centre is a joke. (I use Garmin Connect, much better)

Bottom Line:
This unit is great. The negative reviews on this product are mind boggling to me. This unit has done everything it has promised and more. I love this thing and take it everywhere with me. Works great with my Bontrager Duotrap.

Favorite Ride:   Bowmanville-Peterborough-Bowmanville

Bontrager Race Shoes
Garmin 705

Submitted by Phil Edwards a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    See above

Bottom Line:
I have never had such a missfortune as to have purchased this pile of crap. Cadeance mount will not fit onto Fulcrum Zero spokes, and the sensor uit does not fit close enough to the wheel on my cabon Time. So OK not Cadenace, I can live with that. Next the heart rate monitor does not work, tried to change battery in chest strap, still not working, OK I can live with that. Next I mount the thing onto my bike, go for a ride and then comes the pleasure of trying to install all the necessary programmes to use the device on my laptop. Yes you guessed, I can't get that to work either. OK I have a solution, I take my Garmin and laptop into work and get my head of IT within a huge organisation to sort it for me. Yes I can now download my rides onto my laptop, however I can't publish them on the web as garmin do not support any system other than Vista. Took it out yesterday in a storm and guess what, it now does not work anymore at all. Little rubber button to control the thing has come off as has the cover for the power lead etc.
Please please do not buy one of these things unless you want a divorce or a holiday in hospital.

Favorite Ride:   Merlin