Planet Bike Protege 8.0 Cyclocomputer Computers

3.77/5 (13 Reviews)

Planet Bike 8.0 Protege Computer features a four-line, easy-to-read macromonitor LCD display provides upTo five pieces of data at a glance. Mode changing is easy: pushThe computer forward inThe spring loaded bracket andThe computer isThe button. Auto start/stop and LCD shut off Heavy-duty, oversized wire harness and ultrasonically welded case ensure a durable, weatherproof unit Fits handlebars 25.4-26.0mm Current speed Speed comparator RideTimeTrip distance Dual odometer (for 2 wheel sizes) Aver

Submitted by ChazMan428 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to read
Water resistant
Durable
easy to use
Overall great value

Weaknesses:    no illumination for riding at night/early morning

Bottom Line:
I LOVE THIS COMPUTER!!! In reading some of the others reviews I noticed they are older, so thought I'd give more current info. I've not had any sensor problems or any problems with it whatsoever. I've ridden through a heavy rain with it and no problem. I had been using the 5.0 model but it didn't give me the info I wanted. However, the mounts are the same so the new computer fit into the mount for 5.0 no sweat! The mounting hardware didn't fit my handlebar but clever use of velcro fixed that. There are four settings to cycle through and two of them are odometer readouts. One of them is digital clock so no need to wear a watch. Current speed, ride timer (which automatically stops when you stop and continues when you do)and ride distance are ALWAYS displayed, along with up or down arrows to show if you are currently above or below your average speed. One thing I like about it is that you can slide it out of the mount slightly (to disconnect from the terminals) when you don't want to collect data, such as a warm-up or warm down session, or other slow-downs that would effect average speed. It's easy to read and does everything I want. The best way to calibrate is to inflate the front tire to riding pressure, measure the circumference, convert to millimeters and input that number into the computer. The reference numbers that come with the instructions probably won't work because all tires expand differently when inflated. High-mileage riders may want to recalibrate every 500 miles or so as the tire wears because it will become slightly smaller.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Planet Bike 5.0

Submitted by meeshu a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2008

Strengths:    Displays most parameters on screen simultaneously without having to push a button to scroll through various parameters like on other computers.
Very good price!

Weaknesses:    Computer plastic case does not appear to be durable and might not survive a good knock or fall on a hard surface.
One sensor did not work right out of the box!? Wondering about the quality and reliability of these computers.

Bottom Line:
Purchased two of these computers (to minimize shipping costs, and to have one computer as a backup in case the first computer fails).
I like the idea of having most parameters displayed (like this computer does) without having to manually scroll through parameters.
It was fortunate that I ordered two computers as one computers' sensor unit didn't work. This was disappointing.
Although I prefer computers to display most(all) parameters simultaneously like this computer, I probably will NOT buy another Protege 8.0 computer, given the questionable quality and reliability.

Purchased At:   Cadenece Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Cateye and Sigma.
Both brands are generally reliable and durable. But, both require manual scrolling in order to view all parameters.

Submitted by dogmeat a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2006

Strengths:    Just the info I need in an inexpensive, nice looking easy to use package. So easy to install and set up.

Weaknesses:    No backlite

Bottom Line:
Just what I need, with no extra crap.

I can read the display without my glasses on. I've had it in the rain, and had no troubles. For $24 bucks, I wouldn't bother swapping the unit to another bike.

I have a cat-eye for the bike on my trainer with cadence-- ICK! OK, I got cadence- but who needs that on a road bike?

Wireless? Who cares, it's one cable wrapped around your brake cable housing- looks cool.

Favorite Ride:   New Glarus via O

Purchased At:   BashCar

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   Serotta

Submitted by davido8 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2005

Strengths:    Nice display. Good price.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't work

Bottom Line:
When I first bought this computer I was really pleased. The display is very large and the numbers are quite visible. The problems started to occur when I began using it. The manual says that you can use it on two bikes but when I would swith the computer over to my mountain bike the computer would recet. This happened a lot. Then when I was on a 50 miler the computer just pooped out. I was going 40 downhill but it said that I going 5. My magnet was lined up and everything. Now its working again this week. I can't figure it out.

Favorite Ride:   Alpine Loop