Planet Bike Protg 9.0 Cyclocomputer Computers

Planet Bike Protege 9.0 Wireless Computer

Submitted by tony a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2011

Strengths:    big screen

Weaknesses:    doesnt work after short period

Bottom Line:
terrible product. first one started misreading 6 mos into use. ordered 2nd and that one started misreading one month into use. dont waste your money on this.

Purchased At:   cambria

Similar Products Used:   cateye

Bike Setup:   trek 5200. SRAM Force.

Submitted by strohman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to use while riding.
Easy to read with its big display.
Very affordable.

Weaknesses:    None really, but I wish it were wireless!

Bottom Line:
I got lucky when I picked this computer. It has a nice sized display and it gives plenty of information, including time, time of ride, distance, speed, average speed, and total miles for your whole season. It also gives you the temperature, but that can be a little off at times. It's easy to read and easy to operate. On top of all of that, it's a great deal! Why spend $100 or more when this works so well for a fraction of the price. I used my first Protege 9.0 for 2 years, then when I upgraded my bike, I left it on there and bought a new one for my new bike. I have had this one for 2 years and I just replaced the battery yesterday, but the Protege is still going strong!

Favorite Ride:   Anything without traffic

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   2006 Specialized Allez Elite

Submitted by CircaRigel a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2010

Strengths:    Accuracy
easy setup
ease of use
durability

Weaknesses:    inaccurate temperature readings if left standing in sun

Bottom Line:
I used the wired version many years ago and for many years when I was a triathlete, and even as I was starting my training for the Triple Bypass. I never had any issues with it. It was simple to use and easy to read, and its accuracy was superb, although after 13 years the display had darkened some. Temperature readings tended to be off if the bike was out left standing in the sun, but that wasn't really what I considered an essential function. It was certainly better than the wireless Ascent Delta I replaced it with (and am now trashing)... so much better that one really can't compare.

Favorite Ride:   Lookout Mountain

Shimano Tourney Megarange rear derailleur
Mavic SSC dual-pivot caliper brakes

Submitted by cgk a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2008

Strengths:    relatively easy to set up, cheap

Weaknesses:    Not very waterproof - computer shorted-out from sweat dripping on it. Very easy to accidentally reset. Occasionally stops working for no apparent reason

Bottom Line:
Although this product works reasonably well at times, it has some undesirable traits. The method of scrolling through the data (pushing the computer) can often result in an accidental reset of your ride data (very frustrating). It is also not very waterproof. On occasion, it has stopped working when exposed to even a slight amount of moisture. Had to completely dry out (2days) before it was working again. Temperature feature is not very useful because it is only accurate when not in direct sunlight. I decided to replace this computer with something more reliable after I lost all of my ride data half way through a double century ride.

Favorite Ride:   all

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   cateye, sigma

Bike Setup:   Ti road bike

Submitted by Scott Cater a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2008

Strengths:    Dependability, easy ro read, easy setup

Weaknesses:    Temperature gauge is not accurate in direct sun

Bottom Line:
After trying 3 different VDO computers and finding all of them to be buggy, I gave the Planet a try. I am very pleased with the performance so far. It shows lots of info and is easy to read. Set up was not too difficult compared with others I have used. It releases easily from the mount via a button and in general seems to be well made. I've put 1500 miles on it and it has not been buggy at all. The info display is large and easy to read. I found the temp gauge to be more of a gimmick than useful, but it's fairly accurate as long as it's not in direct sunlight. Overall I love this thing and hope that it keeps up the flawless performance.

Favorite Ride:   STP