Sigma Sport 1200 Computers

1.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Sigma 1200

Submitted by J

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2013

Strengths:    Display is bright and clear. Button are good sized too.

Weaknesses:    Everything. Mounting system, instructions, doesn't actually work etc.

Bottom Line:
Crappy instructions. Not much detail in them. Worst thing is that you only get 5 measly millimeters between the sensors!!!! That's less than 1/4". I have 3/8" and cannot adjust it any closer. (Too bad they don't offer a sensor that is taller). I can't offer any more of a review because I can't even get it to work.

Submitted by Georaz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2007

Strengths:    Great set of functions, easy to set up and use, small, good display size, easy to remove computer from mount when leaving the bike unattended

Weaknesses:    Buttons are too easy to press - just touching them switches the computer to the next mode/display, wire looks frail but hasn't broken yet

Bottom Line:
This is a great computer in many respects. Easy to use and set up, looks good and just works.

I also use my bike for commuting, and being able to simply twist the computer out of its mount in a few milliseconds to bring it with me, is a great feature! The display is large and easy to read with its large digits. Mounting and setting it up takes a couple of minutes.

It does have a few problems, though. The buttons are far too easy to press - in fact, just touching them will activate the buttons, so you often find yourself switching modes when all you wanted to do was to rotate the computer around the bar or twist it off to take it with you. Not a major problem, but it's kind of annoying to have to press the mode button 6-7 times to get back to the mode you want to use, after you switched mode by accident.

The other problem is that it has a countdown feature. The feature itself isn't the problem, but it is implemented as one of the modes, and pressing the wrong button by mistake (which is easy to do, as I've explained above), you enter some kind of setup for the countdown mode, and getting out of it again to get back to another mode, is fiddly and takes time. Sigma should make it so that the setup can't be accessed while the computer registers forward speed.

This computer allows you to reset each mode (max speed, average speed, trip distance, riding time, et c) individually. Good if you only want to reset one or a few things. A pain if you usually want to reset everything every time...

It has a stopwatch mode, which I like. I've used it on my commute, to find how much time I spend not rolling. Starting the stopwatch the second I roll away from home, and stopping it when I come to a stop at school, tells me the total time it took. The time riding is recorded in another mode, and the difference between the two is the time I spent stopped at red lights.

After having been inactive for a while (maybe five minutes), it goes into some kind of energy-saving mode, where only the clock is displayed. Nice feature, as the clock is usually the only thing you're interested in when you're stopped for a while. It activates instantly when you press either button or you start riding again.

If cadence or wireless operation aren't required, this computer is excellent value and has pretty much everything the majority of riders want and need.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere in Bohuslän

Purchased At:   Clas Ohlson (Swedish

Similar Products Used:   Sigma Targa (fairly similar, but not as easy to use or set up)

Bike Setup:   Simple singlespeed strictly for road use - commuting, training rides and such...

Submitted by mudslinger a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2006

Strengths:    lcd screen had good visibility - when it worked.

Weaknesses:    low quality, low reliability, poor control buttons

Bottom Line:
The computer has a nice display, and I got the rubber bands to work OK . . . but the thing chewed through a set of batteries in only a few months and it finally stopped working altogether after a total of 6 months use. Plus, the buttons were real sticky and wouldn't cycle properly even when the thing did work. Sigma ought to be ashamed for selling such a poor cycle computer, and I would never buy another Sigma product based on this experience.

Favorite Ride:   to and from work - 13 mile roundtrip rain or shine!

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Replacement Cateye Micro Wireless is being shipped as I write this review.

Bike Setup:   2006 Lemond Poprad with disc brakes. Very sweet bike.

Submitted by Dr. Crash a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2005

Strengths:    Display still working after I chucked it against the wall. I had to stomp on it twice before it cracked.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work

Bottom Line:
The instructions seem to be for another computer. How do I know? For a wireless computer, there sure do seem to be a lot of wires all over the drawings. But that's not the problem. After spending 2 hours tweaking around with the thing, I briefly got it to register a distance reading (0.1 mi). Still no speed reading. I don't have too many requirements from these little gizmos, but it would be nice if they at least pretended to work.

Favorite Ride:   Cougar Mountain

Purchased At:   team sponser

Similar Products Used:   Many cateye's including the indestructable mity 3.

Bike Setup:   Wilier alpe d'huez, campy chorus

Submitted by LoneWolf a Racer

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2002

Strengths:    Great display, made to be transferred between two bikes, lots of computer features, fairly easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Mounting system shows lack of engineering know-how and in-field testing.

Bottom Line:
The features on this computer are great. Too bad the mounting system is absolutely horrid. The rubber bands used break easily, and are not big enough for oversized forks. The adhesive backing on the sensors comes off easily, and honestly, they should design a retension system that doesn't use this in the first place. While I like the computer's features (esp. its telling me whether I'm above/below/at my average speed) I will not buy another Sigma Sports computer until they can fix the mounting design. Do not buy the wireless kit either, it's worse yet as it requires line of sight for proper transmission between sensor and receiver.