Sigma Sport BC 1009 STS Wireless Computers

Sigma BC1009 Wireless The Sigma BC1009 STS is the wireless version of the popular and easy to use wired version. All the essential functions including average speed, maximum speed, current/average speed comparison and total trip time are ...

Submitted by fredbiker a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2012

Strengths:    ~ It just works!
~ Minimal to no interference
~ Mileage is very accurate
~ Easy to read
~ Setup is a snap with great videos
~ Small profile and footprint on bike
~ Easy to operate controls
~ Great value at under $100

Weaknesses:    ~ Resetting can be tricky

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 1609STS model - not sure if it's an update of the 1009STS pictured, but one of the pictures was for the 1609.

Purchased this computer during this past Christmas to pair up with my new bike. Did lots of research on computer looking for two main features: 1. It had to be wireless and 2. I needed cadence as well. After my research two computers bubbled up to the top: this one and the Cateye Strada Double.

I was swayed by the great reviews and Cateye name and went with that one first. I can't say that the Cateye was good or bad because I never used it. I simply could not get it installed on my bike. The cadence receiver just would not install on the chainstays in any way, shape or form. Back it went.

Before going with the Sigma, I did my research again, only this time on ease of installation, especially with irregular shaped stays. What sold me on the Sigma was the numerous YouTube videos showing how installation was a snap. The Sigma uses both zip ties (part of the problem for me on the Cateye and my specific frame) or you can use the provided O-rings. Well installation for me was as easy as the video showed. The frustrating hour I spent with the Cateye, only to give up, was contrasted by the 10 minutes it took me to get the Sigma installed!

As far as the computer goes, it just works! No interference at all on the wireless - I do have my iPhone 4S with RunKeeper and music going on all rides. The distance has always been with .1 miles of GPS distance. Having an accurate cadence reading has improved my riding tremendously, especially my climbing where I can now see if I'm spinning enough. I have my computer mounted on the stem - the Sigma has options for stem or bar mounting all with the same hardware. Viewing is fantastic in low light and sunlight and you can play around with contrast to get it where it works for you. Working the controls is easy enough even with full fingered gloves. If I have one gripe, it's that it takes a bit of getting used to when resetting the previous rides data. If you accidentally get into the setup menus, it takes a while to get out. Minor gripe really.

Fantastic computer w/ cadence for under a $100 bucks. Check out the videos on it and then go get it!

Favorite Ride:   101 HWY in SoCal

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Cateye CC-RD400DW Strada Double Wireless Cycling Computer

Bike Setup:   2011 BH RC-1 Ultegra

Submitted by Maxfli a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2010

Strengths:    Screen is very clear. Unit function as expected, providing the current speed and trip distance by default. You can also select trip time, max speed and average speed.

Stem or Handlebar mount provides flexibility.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
The Sigma 1009 STS wireless bike computer works very well after the installation. Screen is very clear and the buttons are pretty easy to figure out even without referring to the manual.

All the data that I need are there. Max speed, average speed, trip distance, time taken, odometer, clock.

Favorite Ride:   Around the lake