Sigma Sport BC 1606L DTS Wireless + Cadence Computers

2.86/5 (14 Reviews)

The BC 1606L DTS wireless provides a better overview of the essential information during a ride by hiding the total accumulated functions and cadence if not installed. The backlight gives optimal readability of this information even in the dark. An integr

Submitted by Rob a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Strengths:    - feature set would be nice if it actually worked

Weaknesses:    - speed transmitter mount requires constant readjustment
- speed transmitter requires very close proximity to the magnet to work.
- short battery life
- consistent dropouts from the speed sensor

Bottom Line:
I picked this up because I liked the set of features and thought the convenience of the wireless transmitters would be worth the price, oh how wrong I was. Out of the box the speed transmitter constantly cut out rendering any distance totals, or speed averages useless. I tried multiple fixes including replacing all batteries (several times in a month), adjusting the speed transmitter closer to the magnet, eliminating possible sources of EMI (cell phone, lights, etc..) due to several "too many signals" error messages, and modifying the speed transmitter mounting system (trying to reduce movement while riding). After all of these efforts the dropouts improved, but still happen at least once a ride and requires me to adjust the speed transmitter before and during each ride. I finally gave up on and started using my phones GPS to track distance and speed and only use this for cadence.

I would highly recommend avoiding this computer.

Submitted by ponyboy1995 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2011

Strengths:    -Easy to install
-Accurate
-Nice large screen with multiple functions displayed.
- Easy to use
-Inexpensive
- Wireless

Weaknesses:    None found yet.

Bottom Line:
I have had this unit for about 6 months. It was easy to install. I have read in other reviews that the sensor and the magnets have to be almost touching for it to read correctly. I have not had this problem. Mine reads fine and the sensor & magnets are no closer then on my wired units on other bikes. I have also read that battery life is bad. I have not changed a battery in the 6 months that I have had it so again I am happy with that. I will probably buy a set of batteries just to have ready.

Purchased At:   Bike to Nature

Similar Products Used:   Sigma wired

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez Sport

Submitted by martian4000 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2010

Strengths:    Clear Readout

Weaknesses:    See Review Above

Bottom Line:
Poor design, especially the speed sensor mounting system. I super glued the two parts or mine together and cut the back side lip off to eliminate any spoke rub and used zip ties. Also mounted to the front of fork to reduce any possible chance of sensor getting sucked into spokes. All sensor (speed & cadence) need to be mounted on same side or the bike or they don't both work. In my case the left.

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Submitted by reedgann a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2010

Strengths:    looks like a cyclocomputer

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
This thing is a horrible piece of junk. I'll just cut to the chase:
-magnet must be so close to the sensor for the sensor to work that more often than not the magnet was hitting the sensor just to get a reading.
-eats batteries like crazy
-the sensor mount is poorly designed and never stayed put, requiring constant adjustment while riding. This is both dangerous and irritating.

Favorite Ride:   Wherever

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   cateye strada wireless, ciclosport

Submitted by carl bentley a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Strengths:    Ease of use, big screen, backlit.

Weaknesses:    Stopped reading whenever led lights or gps were switched on.

Bottom Line:
I have owned several sigma computers and have always found them to be easy to use and fit.I used the BC1606L wireless for only a short time though on my touring bike. I found that whenever I had my flashing LED light and/or my separate gps unit that the computer would stop reading and just act as if the bike was not moving. This happened with 2 diffeent brands of LED lights and the problem was never solved. I ended up going back to my wired sigma on my touring bike and the wireless sigma went onto my mountain bike only. No other problems apart from this.

Similar Products Used:   Sigma 1106, Sigma ROX 9, Cat Eye products in the past.

Bike Setup:   Surly Longhaul Trucker Expedition Spec.
Specialized Rockhopper Expedition Spec.
Specialized Roubaix