Sigma Sport BC 1609 STS Wireless Computers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The BC 1609 STS is a versatile wireless computer that would be at home on any handlebar. Whether used for training or recreation, you?ll find all the information you need right at your finger tips. Featuring a stopwatch, temperature display, backlight

Submitted by Joel

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2014

Strengths:    It does what it does. Perfectly. Simple, capable, multiple bike support, auto start and stop, good, clear display, waterproof (as far as I can tell, we've not gone underwater, just rain), nice computer mounting system.

Weaknesses:    Less than intuitive setup, although easy to use afterwards. Front pickup is a bit squirrelly on my Carbon aero fork, but a bit of double sided tape keeps it in place.

Bottom Line:
I've had my 1609 since, well, I can't remember, it's been a good long while It is the most reliable piece of equipment I own. I've used it on a MTB, hybrid and road bike without a problem of any sort apart from initial setup mistakes on my part. Note: The cadence sensor needs to be close to the pedal end so that it approaches with a reasonable speed.

I use my unit with two different bikes, having bought a sensor kit for the second one. As far as I can tell, using mile marker and gps on my phone, the accuracy is better than I can detect, although making adjustments are simple if they are needed. I truly apreciate the ability to stop average speed and trip duration calcs if I'm actually stopped. One bell/whistle that would be nice is to detect those stops a bit quicker and go back to where the last pulse was received - I'm assuming the delay is to allow for a missed couple of pulse, which is what you want, but once it realizes none are coming, it would be simple to pause the ride back when the last pulse was received.

This isn't a weakness, but after all this time, the chrome on the side (the little band in the picture above) is coming off. Probably due to the abuse it has seen, including being the sole survivor on a crash that killed my MTB and nearly its rider.

One thing I'll note is that I was initially aprehensive about the wireless part, but that has turned out to be a non-issue. Battery life is great - I've never used them up, but just replace all three each year. At some point I'll get lazy and find out how long they live, but certainly in several thousand miles/1+ year range.

At some point I could see moving on to something with more capability because I would want features I get from my iPhone without carrying that around. Until then, this is all I need.

Submitted by Typetwelve

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight, accurate, long battery life, easy to read.

Weaknesses:    None, really.

Bottom Line:
What can I say? This unit is easy to read, accurate and does what it needs to do. The display is a bit limited but personally, I don't care. Mph/distance is all I really want see in real time anyway. I ran this all season for MANY hrs and everything worked flawlessly...and no battery issues. Giving what I paid for it (under MSRP) and what I expected out of it...I have no complaints.