Trek Incite Alpine DW Computers

16 functions, including altimeter and compass

2.4 GHz digital wireless data transmission eliminates cross-talk and increases range to 3 meters

Works with either standard sensor (included) or optional Integrated Speed Sensor designed for use with SpeedTrap technology

Upgradable to digital wireless cadence and heart rate

Submitted by sdeblebo a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2010

Strengths:    Large clear display. Buttons are easy to activate with gloves on.

Weaknesses:    Inaccurate altitude, compass and temperature guage. Altitude is measured in feet (no option to measure in meters). Difficult to follow installation instructions. Non-intuitive in use.

Bottom Line:
I have had the Trek Incite Alpine for about a month now. I was tempted to buy it as it was a bargain price for this computer. However, it is one of the worst computers I have used.

The instructions are not easy to follow and in use the computer is not intuitive e.g. you have to select "Clock" and then "Trip time" then press two buttons to reset the trip data.

The altimeter is usesless, it never gives the same elevation despite returning repeatedly to the same place. The altitude is measured in feet. I can't find a way to display this in meters despite having the option for imperial/metric measurements for other parameters.

The compass has never worked properly despite recalibrating many times and is of dubious benefit anyway, even if it did work.

If you remove the front wheel e.g. to pack the bike away in the car, you have to "bind" the sensor to the computer again - this requires that you press the the two buttons either side of the computer while spinning the wheel.

Favorite Ride:   Off road

Purchased At:   Allterraincycles

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Flight Deck, Cateye, ADO

Bike Setup:   Colnago with Dura Ace groupset.

Submitted by Ian D. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2009

Strengths:    Once it's set up, it provides useful information and is very accurate.

Weaknesses:    Trek's instructions are a bit difficult to read/understand.

Bottom Line:
Right off the bat, this computer gets a five out of five from me due to its handy features and accuracy. Though Trek’s installation instructions are pretty poor, I don’t believe in knocking the rating down just for that. I was able to work through the lousy instructions. This review is based on my perception of the quality and function of the computer itself. I have used Cateye computers for over ten years and never thought I would switch till I came across this Trek computer. The main thing I was looking for was a computer that could have a wireless speed and cadence sensor attached to the rear chain stay. When I was on the trainer I wanted to be able to monitor my cadence and speed etc. I looked into some 2009 Cateye computer models that had rear mounted speed and cadence sensors, and I didn’t find very many good reviews. I was still willing to give the Cateyes a shot, but none of my local bike shops had them in stock. Finally, while visiting Portland, OR, I ran across the Trek Alpine Incite DW at the Bicycle Gallery. Upon learning that the speed sensor could be mounted on the rear chain stay and seeing the other features of the computer, I decided I’d try it. I liked the altimeter, compass, and thermometer features, and I liked that I could add on the cadence and heart rate sensors. This computer also allowed me to measure the “roll out” distance of my wheel and enter the exact millimeters instead of a general wheel size. If you don’t want to be that exact you can just enter the code for your wheel size. So far I have had zero problems with the computer. I have compared its speed readout while riding next to my buddies and it reads the same as their computers. The trip meter also appears to be very accurate. Trek’s instructions about how to “re-start” the computer when it goes into sleep mode are confusing but I have had no issues getting the computer to re-connect of “pair” with the sensor. I just spin my wheel and press the button when the screen reads, “Pair?” I have had no “cross-talk” problems, a problem I did experience with my old Cateye. I am in the process of getting the cadence sensor and I’ll write a follow-up review when I get it installed. Overall, I really like the Alpine’s features and I am especially glad to finally have a wireless rear chain stay mounted speed sensor.

Favorite Ride:   Seattle to Portland (STP)

Purchased At:   Bicycle Gallery, Lak