VDO C2 DS Computers

• Programmable odometer
  • Twist-Click mounting

Submitted by Mitch Cooper

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2013

Strengths:    Looks great. Promise of fine German engineering.

Weaknesses:    Never worked after battery was replaced several times in spite of HOURS spent with hard to decipher manual in hand.

Bottom Line:
Felt cheated given that I paid over $80.00 for this item at a well-known retailer. I should have kept my receipt. Not everything German is well-engineered I guess...

Submitted by Hooben a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2010

Strengths:    Wireless but still really good on speeds and information. Unit is easy to unclip from handlebar mount so that you can take unit off bike when you need to. Simple yet modern design makes it seem like it would be worth more.

Weaknesses:    Battery is only good for about 1,000 miles, then phantom speeds will begin to appear. Unit was flashing 89 mph on an easy ride. Then other times the display will come on and appears to be ready, but no information will load. Display just reads zero, then it's time for 2 new batteries which cost 5 bucks for a set of 2 from my local department store.

Bottom Line:
This is a great unit out of the box, can really give you real time views on your speed and cadence. Numbers are very easy to see and it is nice to scroll through information during your ride by just pushing the up or down arrow. You can buy it without the wireless cadence then add it on whenever you want. Display will automatically sense it. There is a clock feature on the top that is always there.

Favorite Ride:   Club Rides

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Cateye was the best computer I have ever had, but the VDO is better looking. More technical looking.

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR 2009

Submitted by MTSchnur a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to setup, use, and good display. Good battery life. Low price.

Weaknesses:    None really.

Bottom Line:
I have this computer on my 2 road bikes and my wife's bike. It works really well, is easy to use, and had good battery life. The only trouble I have had is once it stopped reading, and I reset it on the fly and it worked fine again. My wife can even use it!

Favorite Ride:   Texas Hill Country

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Other VODs, Trek units.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Vortex, Trek 5900.

Submitted by nobama now a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Strengths:    Clean mounting with no wires, easy to read.

Weaknesses:    Cadence reliability and battery life.

Bottom Line:
The C2 didn't work well from the start, and it was replaced by my shop. Since then on the new one the cadence has never worked reliably. Batteries go quickly. This is my first wireless unit and it's clearly not as reliable as wired. I'm guessing other units work better than VDO's, and I'll find out.

Favorite Ride:   Any time on a bike