Vetta RT55 Computers

• Auto Start/Stop

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Deacon Dave a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2008

Strengths:    Ease of setup and day to day reset.

Bottom Line:
    As a recreational rider, age 70+ years, who rides 30 to 60 miles a week at a pace of 15 mph in the moderately hilly roads of NH the computer meets all of my needs. It is easy to setup and easy to reset. I get about 2 years battery life.

Favorite Ride:   NH 20 to 30 miles

Purchased At:   Goodale Bicycle NH

Bike Setup:   TREK 1200 (bought in 2003) in standard factory set up. I have used Shimano 105 clipless pedals in the past and currently use KEO with LOOK compatible clips and Specialized shoes.

Submitted by Stacy a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to install.

Weaknesses:    Read above.

Bottom Line:
    The cyclometer is a "piece". Only once have I been able to get it to reset on a new ride. And while I wish I had the power to claim this as truth, it states my max speed is 106.4mph. Can't get an average... and even now while my bike is stored away, the cyclometer is jumping into inhuman speeds.

I really regret this purchase.

Favorite Ride:   Plano Hills (PBA)

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   2005 Trek 1500 WSD, Ultegra rear, 105 front, Race Lite wheelset, Keo pedals.

Submitted by psjack a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Don't work

Bottom Line:
    Reads way high after a year. A year ago touring in France the thing was remarkably accurate. It match the km markers to within 0.1km in 50. about a month ago it started to read high, a little bit at first but it's got worse. I rode Seattle to Portland 206m; the Vetta read 256.5m. The contact on the back was iffy. Occasionally it would read zero when it shouldn't. I thought the high reading may have been tire wear but for the Seattle to Portland ride I had a brand new tire (same brand). Going to ask REI for my money back.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Looking

Bike Setup:   Vanilla Trek 520. Specialized Armadillo tires.

Submitted by gdawson44 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2006

Strengths:    Was less expensive by 5 dollars than a product I knew and would vouch for.

Weaknesses:    Poor design concept: inability to calibrate wheel distance without removal of battery. My unit performed poorly and was highly errant.

Bottom Line:
    I used Cat Eye products pretty much exclusively until the need came for another bike computer. I figured, how hard could it be to screw up a bike computer? I mean, it's a big enough name, it's on the rack with the other nice ones, it's not priced like a cheapo WalMart Bell computer. It must be as good as any of the others. That's where I was wrong.

I'll be fair enough to say maybe I got a bum unit. Then again, maybe not since it reached a scorching 2 point something rating on this site.

From the get-go it has a poor design. Yeah the buttons are crummy, but more importantly, trying to precisely dial in the correct wheel distance setting requires taking the battery out each time and then resetting every parameter. A colossal pain. You can change the odometer without removing the battery but you cannot set the wheel distance. Did they think this through?

About a week after I bought it I noticed a strange problem: the speed read zero while trucking along. No problem, I thought, the sensor nust have slipped. Nope, it just decided to read zero sometimes. Shortly after, the unit began making up for lost time and decided to begin reporting 35mph speeds at something more like 10mph. Admittedly, coming off a 30 mile ride with stats in the computer saying I went 75 miles and hit a peak of 51mph looks impressive, though I'd rather have a computer that wasn't telling fishing stories. Also, when trying to reset the values to zero before a ride, sometimes it felt like resetting and other times it absolutely would not reset. This unit has ticked me off to the point I want to tear my teeth out.

You may think, hey, this guy set the computer wrong or otherwise fouled up the works. I'm certain I didn't. I've been meticulous in trying to troubleshoot, tried to fix this thing over & over again, and I've simply determined that something is inherently wrong with this item. I don't know if this is typical for Vetta but I'm not taking another chance. I'm going back to my trusty Cat Eye computers.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   REI Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Cat Eye Enduro 8/Mity 8

Bike Setup:   ActionBent Road Runner

Submitted by drichi a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2004

Strengths:    Nice color. Works well while it lasts.

Weaknesses:    Flies out of the mount very easily---very poorly designed mount. Try to change screens etc while riding and it is likely to fly off the bike. Poor water resistance. Mine died in its first real rain storm. Battery outlasted the computer.

Bottom Line:
    Had it on mine for one yeat and 5,000 miles. Perhaps that is a good life, but the first heavy rain of about 20 minutes ruined it. Would not read speed, no matter if I cleaned and dried the contacts or no matter what I did. Gave up and tossed it.
    The maintenance screen I never figered out. One part sets the hours, which was easy to understand, but it had another small number above the hours which made no sense.

Favorite Ride:   Tamagawa