Vetta RT77 Computers

• Auto Start/Stop

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by croswell1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2005

Strengths:    Nice looking. Easy to read data. Very reliable.

Weaknesses:    Sensor magnet for the cadence needs to be anchored better to the crank arm.

Bottom Line:
    This is for the Vetta RT77. Computer worked flawlessly right out of the box. Have had no problems with it in over two years I've been using it. It's great. Cadence feature works beautifully, although the sensor magnet came off the crank arm after repeated wet weather riding. Reattached with some 3M double sided tape. The instructions were pretty good. Could not ask for a better cycle computer in my opinion.

Favorite Ride:   Any hard road / anytime

Similar Products Used:   Cateye 'Astrale'
    Sigma BC 800

Bike Setup:   Tommasini lugged steel beauty with all Shimano '600'. 8-speed. Mavic 'Open 4 CD wheels.

Submitted by wolfprime a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2005

Strengths:    Fits oversized bars
    Installation is fairly straightforward
    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Provided directions are very poor
    Cadence didn't function on my unit
    I didn't like the feel of the buttons
    Button presses seemed unintuitive to me (holding vs single press etc)

Bottom Line:
    I bought this computer purely for the cadence feature. I already had an inexpensive computer, but it lacked cadence so I thought this would be a good upgrade. Wrong. I could never get the cadence to work. Everything else worked, but even the cheapest computers provide those features these days.

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Planet Bike

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez Sport Triple

Submitted by Agitprop a Racer

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2004

Strengths:    Cadence, cadence, cadence.

Weaknesses:    Install instructions, small buttons, screen size.

Bottom Line:
    I purchased the RT77 a couple of days ago and set about installing it. My comments here are purely about installation and are offered only for first-time cyclocomputer buyers/installers. Here goes. . .

The RT comes with instructions which are reasonably clear as to the use and controls of the computer. Where the instructions fall down dramatically is on intallation/wiring of the device. There are no instructions or diagrams on clean routing of the cadence cable. Without having installed 3 cyclocomputers in the past, I would have been at a total loss as to how to run the cadence cable properly. If you are installing your first cyclocomputer, expect to pay a bike shop to install it for you--which changes the economics of your purchase significantly.

All of the preceding said, once the computer was on the bike, it worked well. As other users have said here already, the buttons and screen could be larger, but for $29, I am happy with the performance of the RT77 thus far.

Favorite Ride:   SF hills

Purchased At:   Sports Basement (in

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Astrale, older Cateye products.

Bike Setup:   '04 Bianchi Pista.

Submitted by medellin a Road Racer from Chihuahua, Chih., Mexico

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2003

Strengths:    Cadence
    Easy to read display

Weaknesses:    Sometimes I struggle to reset the daily odometer

Bottom Line:
    Down here is pretty dry, BUT I've been caught on the road raining, and the unit has worked as before. I like the cadence option. It has been now in two road bikes, I'd to add a piece of cable to mount the speed sensor on the rear wheel (trainer blues), no problems either there.

Very pleased with it.

Favorite Ride:   the Namiquipa climb (42k)

Purchased At:   Perfomance Bike (01)