CatEye Heart Monitor/Cyclocomputer Heart Rate Monitors

Cateye CC-HB100 Heart Monitor/Cyclocomputer

Submitted by Tommy Goggia a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2007

Strengths:    All in one cool looking unit that can be bar or stem mounted. Lots of functions on its multi display.

Weaknesses:    Overly complicated functions. You had better bring the instruction book with you until you figure out how to operate this thing.
The chest unit has wired sensors that attach to the elastic chest band, not as convienent as other brands.
The biggest problem is battery consumption. It could cost $20 or more just to keep this thing powered for a year.
There are better choices.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Cateye CD300 Double Wireless cyclecomputer/heart rate monitor.

Favorite Ride:   Maui north shore

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Polar = good, Garmin GPS, better yet.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Six/13 team Edition with Garmin GPS.

Submitted by Keith a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2004

Strengths:    It's a Cateye. Heart Rate Monitor and cyclocomputer.

Weaknesses:    No Cadence. Has been up-dated, hence no longer made. It was expensive at the time

Bottom Line:
I've used this product for over 2 years and have changed the battery only once, and did this only because I thought it was about time. Love the product, but as said before no cadence. It works well have have encountered no problems at all.

Favorite Ride:   Roadie

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Mity 2, Mity 3.

Bike Setup:   Guerciotti, Chorus (04) Specialties crankset. Look 396 pedals.

Submitted by Phil a Racer

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2004

Strengths:    Value for money (cycle computer + HR monitor)
Reliable cateye technology

Weaknesses:    Eats batteries
Strap loses elasticity after a few months
Bit chunky looking
No cadence
No audible beep when training outside HR zone

Bottom Line:
I agree with other reviewers, the CC-HB100 eats batteries and is subject to interference at times (eg. near overhead power lines for rail). The strap starts to lose it's elasticity after awhile also and is a bit chunky to look at. It survives the rain quite well however and I don't mind the value for money.

Favorite Ride:   Roads

Purchased At:   Branford Bike.com

Bike Setup:   KHS 1000
Shimano 105 full setup

Submitted by 3dman a Weekend Warrior from Westminster, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Strengths:    Nice HRM cycle computer combo.
Straight forward installation.

Weaknesses:    I wish it had cadence reading capability.
You don't get any HR Zone info and it wont tell you what your max bpm is.

Bottom Line:
I've read a few of the reviews that really down this unit ( i.e rain problems, battery problems, buttons are goofy - whatever.) I can honestly state that I haven't had any of those problems. I have used my Cateye in the rain a lot (heavy rain even) and it's never freaked out. Overhead power-lines have caused erratic heart rate readings or no heart readings but I think this is a minor problem (for me) since I really don't ride by any powerlines. As far as battery life is concerned, this unit has out-done itself. I been using this thing for everything from tracking my caloric burn while I work or walk my dog to riding to you name it. I use it daily and still haven't had to replace my batteries. I've owned for exactly one as of this writing. The buttons function pretty much like any other Cat-Eye computer I have used in the past.

Over all this unit is a great value and a workhorse to boot! I say buy it if you can score a good deal on it.

Favorite Ride:   Anything with steep inclines!!

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   A handful of Cat-eye computers since 1988.

Bike Setup:   Old Schwinn Prelude (don't laugh!) All new Shimano 105 gruppo.

Submitted by Vikingbiker7 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2002

Strengths:    big numbers

Weaknesses:    calorie counter can not be accurate
Eats batteries
buttons are unlike any other Cateye
bulky, ugly on your bike

Bottom Line:
This thing is hungry for Batteries. I have put three in the strap and one in the head unit. I loose my HR if it is cool and I don't wear a vest. This thing is huge and looks goofy. I have changed mounts and the Mity3 is lower.

Purchased At:   NOC