Nike hrm[triax Heart Rate Monitors

3.56/5 (9 Reviews)

· Graphic display accuracy · Ergonomic transmitter · Durable wrist unit · 2 programmable training zones

Submitted by speedfreak1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2005

Strengths:    Nike quality. Easy to use. Very reliable. Like anything else we buy, the manufacturer knows more about their product than we do so READ THE MANUAL!! There is some helpful data to be reviewed after your workout.

Weaknesses:    Offset strap & rotated display face.

Bottom Line:
I'm describing the Triax C8. This HRM/watch has worked perfect every time I've used it. I've never worn the transmitter any other way than with Nike logo right-side-up, so I don't know if the other way makes a difference. As far as wetting the under side of the strap, if you do that, it always works. But there have been many cold mornings when I didn't want to do that & it worked fine dry anyway. Ocassionally if you don't get a HR reading, cycle through the modes (bottom left hand button) back to the RUN mode & you should get an HR reading then. Being a cyclist, I like the handlebar "doughnut" that comes with it. I don't like the offset strap design & rotated display position, however. The feature I like the most is the LAP TIMER. I have a 10.5 mile loop that I do & being able to recall the times & avg. HR per lap (3 or 4 laps per training ride) helps me stay motived on those final laps. Also, the total time in, above & below your specific HR range is great info, also. I've only used this for 6 months, so i can't comment about battery life other than to say the original batteries still work fine.

Favorite Ride:   the one I'm about to do

Purchased At:   a nike distributor

Similar Products Used:   No other HRMs

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR1 alloy, full ultegra, 11-23 cassette, Ksyrium SLs w/ Michelin Pro Race (club rides/long distance) or Mavic Cosmos w/ Hutchinson Carbon Comps for training.

Submitted by John a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2003

Strengths:    easy to use,looks good, the graph seemed a great idea & was part of the reason for this purchase but didnt find it that useful.good price for features

Weaknesses:    metal cover fell off within a month,fixed under warranty.
after 22 months, part of strap came off ,light doesnt work ,case looking suspect re crack.
to fix will cost NZ$250.
have only used as day watch,HRM for running/cycling

Bottom Line:
I like the watch/hrm but....
beside weaknesses below it uses batteries
faster than I expected.
The chest strap doesnt work reliably on the female body

Purchased At:   New Zealand

Similar Products Used:   Now have a Polar.Nike was first HRM and will be last Nike

Submitted by Jess a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2003

Strengths:    Function, user friendliness, and looks!!!

Weaknesses:    Kinda pricey at 90 bucks but it is a name brand and looks really nice.

Bottom Line:
I've read the many reviews about the nike hrm's and they have certainly mixed reviews. I have a triax inspire. I think it's the base model and may be discontinued now. I love it. It works all the time. I must admit in the beginning I was starting to think some of these reviewers knew what they were talking about but as I learned it was I that was doing something wrong. First you have to wet the back of the strap/monitor on your chest. Secondly, you have to put the strap on correctly. It cannot be upside down or you will get erratic and inaccurate readings. Once I actually read the manual I learned about the water on the strap. The manual did not mention anything about wearing in correctly though. I woke up one early morning and put the strap on my chest with the nike symbol upside down. My whole reading was erratic and sometimes it would lose reading. I was sure that my watch sucked but then I noticed i had it upside down. I didn't think this would hinder it's performance but it did. So if you are having problems with yours I would suggest you try both of these fixes before you take it back. Also, read you manuals! Excellent product and it sure does look alot better than those expensive Polars and all those other "high end, pro" hrm's.

Purchased At:   watch world

Submitted by Arturo Chang a Cross Country Rider from Caracas, Venezuela

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Strengths:    Good looking easy to read specially when you´re riding, easy to use and heart rate monitor gives accurate readings.

Weaknesses:    Wrist wrap looks weak

Bottom Line:
I´ve read negative comments about this but it works for me and Polar models are too expensive.

Purchased At:   Planeta Sports Isla

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hard Rock 2003

Submitted by Will a Racer from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2003

Strengths:    Large display, very stylish, easy to use, and price.

Weaknesses:    I wish the the hear rate that is dispalyed when the watch is in chrono mode was bigger...that is one feature that Polar has that i miss.

Bottom Line:
I received the Trix 100 hrm from my girlfriend for xmas, and at this time I have no issues with it's performance. My local running shop sells both Polar and Nike hrm's, and i did hear that when Nike first came out two years ago with hrm's, they had quality issues. But , the guys and gals at my shop told me that they have not had any complaints or returns lately. Infact many who work there prefer the Triax hrm to Polar based on style and simplicity. I have owned two Polar's in the past and i do prefer the simplicity of the Triax.

Favorite Ride:   Dipsea

Purchased At:   Nke Town S.F.