Performance HR400 Heart Rate Monitors

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Performance HR400

Submitted by brianhk91 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2008

Strengths:    Low cost and great reliabity.

Weaknesses:    na

Bottom Line:
Always worked for 6 years. For the price you can't go wrong. I ride about 2000 miles per year and I replace the batteries about once per year (no big deal takes 2032 and 2025).

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   none

Submitted by Dudley Dorite a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Strengths:    Easy to use, displays HR in BPM as well as percentage.

Weaknesses:    Chest transmitter seal on the one I had. Don't know if anyone else has had that problem.

Bottom Line:
This is the second Axiom that I have owned. The previous one, an HR100, I gave to my son-in-law when he started training for triathlons. He is still using it a year later. I replaced the both batteries before I gave it to him. This one ran for over a year before the batteries had to be replaced. I replaced both at the same time in this one. Then about 6 months later, the chest strap seal didn't seal and I got sweat in it and it quit functioning. I got a new chest strap transmitter, $40, and it has been working fine since then. It stays in place on my mountain bike over the roughest terrain. I am looking now for one that records HR and cycle data but have no complaints about this one.

Favorite Ride:   Walker Ranch

Purchased At:   Performance Store #1

Similar Products Used:   Polar, don't remember the model, but it was the cheapest they had for $150. It showed HR and sounded off if over or under HR, but nothing else. The Axiom provided many more features for less price.

Bike Setup:   LiteSpeed Appalachian Cross Bike
Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-E-Koo Dirt Bike

Submitted by spinjunkie a Racer

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2002

Strengths:    cheap easy to use

Weaknesses:    loses signal quite often

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the HR600. The monitor works okay, and believe it or not, it does out perform the polar 510 I just had (too complex and lost signal constantly). For the money it is an okay buy. This one has issues with losing the signal. I have found the telemetry starp has to be completely doused with signal gel. Even then, I have had to stop and wet it with spit once it dries about halfway into my ride. I don't think any one makes a fool-proof monitor, so my advice is to get a cheap one. That way you wont feel bad once it fritzes out.

Similar Products Used:   polar and nashbar cheapo