Polar cs200 Heart Rate Monitors

2.67/5 (12 Reviews)

heart rate monitor, cycling computer, cadence meter

Submitted by JoeBloggs a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2015

Strengths:    Keeps record of 7 rides.

Weaknesses:    Not water resistant as it is supposed to be.
Even the cheapo's wind back that time once it is realised the bike is no longer in motion. Not Polar.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely dreadful - never buy Polar.
Not water resistant as it is supposed to be.
I have had 2 units fail in 5 years - just out of the 2 year warranty both times and will Polar do anything . NO! I never hose my bike down and always take the computer off when cleaning it. The first got moisture in it from being turned upside down on some dewey grass. The handlebars prevented it from coming firmly in contact with the grass so the grass could only have brushed it. The second just started doing odd things like wanted settings to be reset almost every time the thing was turned on or off. The guy at Polar said it must have got moisture in it. This time it could only have been rain drops.
It also takes 5 seconds to realise the bike has come to rest - which is ok - but even the cheapo's wind back that time once it is realised the bike is no longer in motion. Not Polar
The heart monitor strap packed it in and had to be replaced - just out of warranty again.
It seems to be subject to interferance - I have had it add 3km to the ride distance mid ride. It also can pause itself when the bike is in motion - usually only for 100 metres or so.

Purchased At:   Fitness Maintenance

Submitted by Kevy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2012

Strengths:    Reasonably easy to attach sensors etc. Small size

Weaknesses:    Trying to use the buttons to scroll through functions or adjust on the bike is difficult. The cadence sensor stops on average once a month for a day or two. The most annoying thing about the computer is that mine seems to need 3 1/2 minutes of constant movement before the computer actually registers it as a ride and the pause function kicks in if you stop. I live in Auckland NZ and I amuse myself a lot with the fact I can ride 15km, having to stop at almost every intersection or set of lights and the computer still hasn't logged a single km yet because I haven't cycled consistently for 3 1/2 minutes.

Bottom Line:
I've had mine for 3 years. It has performed pretty well in that time except for the weaknesses above which are a little annoying rather than majors. I just get the feeling I could have spent half the money on something else and got the same level of performance.

Favorite Ride:   Kaukapapa Return via Peak Rd and Ridge Road

Similar Products Used:   El cheapo's which are still going strong

Bike Setup:   De Rosa Idol

Submitted by Jtibbitts a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to use. Many options

Weaknesses:    Unreliable---loses heart rate signal very often, with difficulty getting signal back. Gives wildly incorrect heart rate results when going downhill or into a strong wind. Chest strap SHOULD NOT be laundered.
Unresponsive product support.
No way to determine which of several batteries is going dead.

Bottom Line:
The CS200 has not been reliable for me. I think my biggest complaint is that the heart rate signal is frequently interrupted with the monitor reading "0". It can happen at any time during a ride or training, and is often difficult to re-establish, usually requiring that the unit be turned off and on a few times. This makes it nearly useless for tracking your training fitness or statistics. Replacing batteries, repositioning the strap, wetting the strap more thoroughly dont seem to improve the problem. I also have had difficulties getting support from Polar, as they do not return calls or e-mails.

Favorite Ride:   Marin County

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Submitted by dhtucker4 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2011

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    About everything

Bottom Line:
The Polar CS200 is the WORST Bike Computer I have ever used.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Wireless, Paramount, FlightDeck

Bike Setup:   Airborne Manhattan Transfer, with 10-speed Campagnolo Chorus (Zipp 300 crankset), Mavic Kysrium SSC SL wheels, Deda classic bars, Thomson seatpost.

Submitted by tferguso a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2010

Strengths:    I liked the strap.

Weaknesses:    See review - the unit didn't track my heart rate accurately

Bottom Line:
You'll find this same review under the CS200cad, which is the unit I actually owned. But this review applies to both, since it's the same base unit.

I used this monitor for about a year, until I got my Garmin Edge. The main problem I had with the Polar product was it's inability to accurately track my heart rate. It would fluctuate (while I was riding) from ~55 to ~220. It almost seemed as if it were measuring 1/2 my heart rate, or double my heart rate. It would sporadically jump from what I thought was about right (120-150 bpm) to around half that number, then stay there for a while, then go back to the range I expected. Then jump to around twice the bpm, then back down. I don't mean to say that it continuously did this. It would also track my heart rate accurately (or, at least in a reasonable range) for some periods. But the periods of inaccuracy were substantial, like 20 to 30% of my ride (usually 1-2 hrs of riding, so 15 to 40 min of incorrect readings). Enough so that I ignored all the results dependent on heart rate.

I was surprised by this - I think Polar is in the business of tracking heart rates. I thought their parent company made health care equipment?? I tried everything I could think of to correct the problem. New batteries, making sure the contact was good (moist) on the strap, limiting distance from strap to the unit, etc. Nothing helped.

Anyway, suffice it to say that my Garmin Edge 305 (which I've used for 4 years now, usually 5-10 times per week), has never had any of these issues.

I tried to Craig's List the CS200 a while back, but to no avail. I just tossed it out - an expensive experiment.

I liked the Polar's chest strap more than the Garmin's. That's why I gave the unit 2 stars instead of one. I wish I could use it's strap with the Edge.