Polar CS200cad Heart Rate Monitors

3.17/5 (12 Reviews)

The wireless CS200 is a true cycling computer that gives you all your cycling speed and distance information, along with your heart rate data. With the ability to link to your PC, the CS200 is more than just a cycle computer. Easy to reach button design t

Submitted by miaomiao a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2011

Strengths:    very comfy chest strap. head unit picks up heart rate signal flawlessly. backlight for night riding. easy to setup (the head unit). max/min HR zone limit. workouts can be downloaded.

Weaknesses:    sealed/disposable speed and cadence sensors. hard to find correct positions of sensors relative to the head unit. carbon frame/fork might disrupt the signal from the sensors (according to polar tech rep). head unit just freezes if it receives no signal after a while

Bottom Line:
had to change the speed sensor position twice. first position, no reading registered at low speed (slower than 10kmh). second position, no reading registered at high speed (faster than 45kmh). third position was fine, but the head unit must be placed on the handlebar. if put on the steam, no reading. all three positions were within polar's recommended range shown in the manual. cadence sensor is placed at the seat tube. sticks a mile out, ugly. distance from the head unit as per manual.

head unit loses the signal from the cadence sensor if 1L bottle is placed between the sensor and the head unit. signal is fine with 600ml bottle. weird. polar tech rep says it might be due to the carbon frame and fork.

however, i shall keep this CS200cad because the heart rate function is very reliable and the strap is super comfy. once the sensors positions are sorted out, the unit works flawlessly. except if when you make a coffee stop in the middle of your ride and you leave the unit for a while without pausing it, the unit just freezes. you need to restart it.

Similar Products Used:   Sigma Sport STS wireless

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3 w/ DA

Submitted by Lior Carmel a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2011

Strengths:    Accurate measurement

Weaknesses:    Communication method to Polar web site
Short memory
No GPS

Bottom Line:
As I summary this products after 6 months use, I found is a low entry level cycling computer. The most critical weaknesses i found was the communication method to the polar web site and the internal memory. The webLink method which is based on transmitting sounds is quite sensitive to interuptions. This causes you to try several times to transmit the file's info to the web. The second weakness is when you want to use the lap's info feature. If you choose to use the 1 km. lap setting, than after one 50 km. ride there is no left memory for the 51 st. km. The memory is already full.
Be aware the this computer doesn't have a GPS feature so altitude is not countable.
I won'r recommend this product to others

Submitted by sreichwein a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2011

Strengths:    Lots of functions! Yet, still simple to monitor and track just the basic info. The display can be easily set to view the info you want. Large, easy-to-read display. Very comfortable HRM strap and unit.

Weaknesses:    Sealed batteries in the speed and cadence sensors. However, if your not afraid of x-acto knives, you can replace yourself (check YouTube for videos). The menus aren't quite intuitive, but not hard to learn. The cadence sensor had to be mounted on my down tube, based on Polar recommended distance to the computer, instead of the chain stay.

Bottom Line:
The CS200cad is packed with more features than what would be used by any cycling enthusiast. Therefore, if you're looking for all of the basic cycling and HRM functions, you'll find them here. If you want to track your exercise and health, this is a great unit. If you want to track your routes and elevations, consider a Garmin. The wireless units have been very reliable - dropping signal no more or less than other brands such as Cateye. Like another reviewer, I had occasional jumping of heart rate readings, but this was solved with proper adjustment of the strap. Overall, I'm very happy with the product and would recommend to serious athletes.

Favorite Ride:   Pacific Coast Hwy in OC

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cateye micro 100

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR C2 w/Ultegra and Mavic Ksyrium

Submitted by mnlavey a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2010

Strengths:    Combines key features - speed, cadence, HRM. Easy to install. Once you go in Pause mode you can walk away and the device picks up your HR once you approach the bike.

Weaknesses:    The HRM occasionally displays an unrealistic max heart rate. I thought it might be someone else in the group who was close to me, but this has happened on rides alone so I am not sure the cause. This is a minor frustration in my book, given all the other features which have worked with no problems.

Bottom Line:
I have been very pleased with this device. I've used it 4+ years with minimal problems. It's easy to take on vacation and install on a rental bike because its entirely wireless.

Favorite Ride:   Riding up, then down Mt. Haleakala

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Vetta, Cateye

Bike Setup:   Felt F1 w/ Dura Ace, Ksyrium SLs

Submitted by jmilford a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2010

Strengths:    East to use. Large read out

Weaknesses:    Cuts in and out often for no reason. Battery changes are a pain and sensors are sealed units expensive to replace.

Bottom Line:
I have gone trough two of these units over the last 4 years. I agree with most reviewers, the unit is great when it works correctly. The single on HR and SPEED do cut out often and batteries are a pain. Can't see why the sensors are sealed and cost $40 each.

Similar Products Used:   Have used Cateye wired and wireless units for speed and cadence.

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR 2

HRM: Polar cs200CAD vs Cateye V3 or other?

Hi all, I'm in the market for a heart rate monitor and it'd be great to get people's thoughts. I was about to buy the polar, but then I read a thread on this forum with a few people having pointed out reliability issues. Obviously polar are huge and I thought I'd be getting a good product, per ... Read More »

Polar CS200cad for wife?

We ride for fun and fitness and I have found my CS200cad a great feedback tool for me. I'd like to get one for my wife but she doesn't like the idea of a starp across her chest and so much so that she only wears bras when she absolutely has to. For fit, do the chest straps fit properly under th ... Read More »

Garmin 305 vs. Polar CS200CAD

hi guys, ive been riding for about 8 months now. I have a cateye on my bike now, but I want the option to store data and really keep track of whats going on while im riding. The reviews on the Garmin sound great and ive only found a few on the Polar, but it also sounds good. :mad2: I know this is a ... Read More »

polar cs200cad vs cateye v3

I'm in the market for a new computer. I'd like to go wireless cadence/HRM/speed. In my price range I've narrowed my choice down to the above units. Right now I'm leaning towards the Cateye due to the fact I can use it on a trainer as well due to the single sensor. Am I correct in assuming the Po ... Read More »

Flight Deck vs Polar CS200cad mileage

To all, I just compared my Flight Deck to my Polar CS200cad. I use both, the Flight Deck for speed and cadence, the Polar for time and HR. They seem to differ by about 3% on the mileage, the Polar being lower. Circumference settings are 0.5% different. Any ideas? TIA, GregRead More »