Polar CS500 Heart Rate Monitors

2.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The Polar CS 500 Cycle computer with Cadence is a ?revolutionary functional design that raises the functionality of cycling computers to a whole new level. Includes Altitude + incline&decline. Helps improve your performance by combining your body infor

Submitted by alipson

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2012

Strengths:    Good clear display

Weaknesses:    UNRELIABLE

Bottom Line:
I have two Polar 600 computers for my bikes. I've had six sensors go bad over the first 12 months. It has been so unreliable. I told my bike shop and they said "we've seen lots of problems with the Polar sensors".

Also, the Polar fitness web site is buggy. It's been down a lot and doesn't allow me to save data.

I think I'm gong to switch over to the Garmin EDGE 800. I heard that their web site is fast and reliable and that there sensors work. Any thoughts?

Submitted by ltcol20 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2011

Strengths:    Large display. ascent and descent. Good hr capture.

Weaknesses:    Only one hr zone. Data link to computer not reliable. Temperature not accurate

Bottom Line:
This unit is not what I would call a great value. It has some neat features that really don't help me train. A big miss on only have one hr range for training. Wish the sales guy would have told me this. This is for a serious cyclist? My old s510 at least gave 3 zones. Big waste of money. Connectivity to PC is not reliable. Multiple phone calls to Polar with no success. Will not buy Polar next time. Temp not reliable either.

Purchased At:   Polar Svc Ctr

Similar Products Used:   Polar s510, Cateye, VDO

Submitted by wassler a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2010

Strengths:    reliability, accuracy, large display, good computer connectivity, looks pretty good for a polar product

Weaknesses:    not as user friendly as other Polar products I've used, limited training features, only comatible with Polar personal trainer webservice (no stand alone software available) No backlight (outdoor training during winterdays might be less convenient)

Bottom Line:
Okay.. I needed a new hrm. the old S510 warhorse was showing clear signs of old age. So it was time to let it retire and get a new hrm.

I settled for the Polar CS500. from now on i'll be comparing it to the S510.

basic features:
I t beats the S510 hands down in this regard. Herat rate and cycling read outs are just spot on all the time. No weird reading, no breaks,.. Just good reliable functioning. Added to that you get aheight and temperature meter too. Win for the SC500.

ease of use.
here the CS500 shines less. While the rocking buttons work pretty well and convenient on the bike, making adjustments on settings is a bit less convenient with this device because you are have one button too little. Like when changing a value you can only go up. If you overshoot you have to go up until reset. Not a huge thing. But I liked the 4 buttons on the S510.

training features.
Here the CS500 truly lets me down. No ability to store multiple exercise sets, no interval training guide. All feature that are available in the old S510. Big dissapointment here. especially for a product that's marketed for serious training.

Computer connectivity
hands down win for the CS500. the W.I.N.D. data link works very well. You do need your hrm to be close to it. But it works much better than the sonic clink the S510 has. Only downside is the fact that the CS500 is only compatible with Polar personal trainer webservice. Which is kinda limited in features.

Conclusion:
The CS500 is definately a good product. thou people looking for enhanced training fetures should look elsewhere. Though for people who just want to have a reliable hrm that accurately records the training It's hard to beat this one.

price is about right so 4 is a fair score. for value. Overall I give it a 4. I'd rather give it 3.5 Mosly due to it's lack of being your personal training coach.