Polar RS300X Heart Rate Monitors

Get all the essential heart rate features with this good-looking and simple-to-use training computer. RS300X is compatible with S1 foot pod? and G1 GPS sensor, so you can combine heart rate with speed and distance. Only then you can truly make sense of yo

Submitted by Alwyn a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2016

Strengths:    Good Value as long as strap holds up

Weaknesses:    Strap does not last longer than a year, previously Polar would replace the strap at no charge or a very small fee. Now from 2016 onwards they charge you 20% of what a new bundle costs just to replace a strap.

Bottom Line:
I have to relay my disappointment in the Polar brand.

I have had the Rs300x since 2009. Although the wrist strap broke every single year since I got it I was still a loyal fan because the strap was usually replaced free-of-charge, at worst I was charged R80. I have recommended the brand to friends and family throughout the years because of the good support received.

Clearly 2016 has seen a change in attitude from Polar relating to customer service and as a result you will also see my attitude and recommendations to friends change accordingly.

I handed in my unit with Kelebogile(KB) Malela at IHF Products in Midrand, Gauteng, South Africa.
Service Report: Event T# 60229046

He said that they are very much aware of the problem with the Rs300x wrist strap, "how can one not be", was his words. The suggested solution is to fit a strap from RS100 watch, which might perform better.

After returning the watch with the new strap he informed me that the service charge is R370! (a new unit with HR strap Retails for R1695 currently)

I told him I will not be willing to pay that much, it is unreasonable. How can they expect me to pay such an amount every year, because clearly that is how long these straps last. I will be willing to pay R80 like before. He went to the back and returned with the old strap on the unit and asked me to sign the R0.00 invoice as proof that they returned the unit.

Now I might be able to understand the attitude change from Polar if it was a unit that had been discontinued for a couple of years but it is still being promoted on the Polar website and sold in leading sports stores.

I am hoping something can be done to remedy this situation, otherwise I will have to convert myself to your biggest competitor and advise my wife and friends to do the same, at least the feedback regarding their after sales service is positive.