Polar S625X Heart Rate Monitors

3.07/5 (14 Reviews)

The Polar S625X is like having a performance lab with you on every workout. All the heart rate, running and cycling data you will ever need is available right on your wrist. The S625X delivers continuous running speed without relying on where satellites are positioned. With the optional cycling and power sensors and enhanced training tools like the Polar OwnOptimizer™ recovery test, plus altitude and ascent for route profile, the S625X lets you cross train and put the power of information to work for you.

Submitted by KEE

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2013

Strengths:    monitors in the pool, always works, durable, a complete product for the triathlete

Weaknesses:    got locked into old accessories, bike, running cadence

Bottom Line:
I purchased this watch at the end of 2004. I now have over eight years of data from this watch. The watch is awesome. I have sent it to maintenance twice in all these years to get the battery replaced. I will get another polar after my experience with this watch. Many of the complaints on here is about PC sync. Lets see. You take the polar usb and place it in the usb port on your laptop. You hit a button on the watch until it says connect (very simple). You hold the watch still facing the IR port. You hit transfer on the software and done. It works every time. If you have problems with com ports and USB on your laptop you cant hold Polar responsible. I have eight years of data! Amazing product that I dont even need to replace with a new Polar because it works still today.

Submitted by Earthdog58 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2009

Strengths:    Great when it works

Weaknesses:    HRM jumps around too much.

Bottom Line:
4th polar monitor I've owned and this is the worse. When it's working it's great, but Oh when it plays up!
Connection to the PC works fine for weeks then throws a strop and you spend ages reconnecting.
HRM is the main pain, according to the unit I'm at 232 while standing still and can drop to zero while climbing a hill. "Check status" comes up on the majority of ride and the odd run. Which throws out the average at the end (yes I know you can use the software to correct this, but after 6hrs on the road I don't see why I should have to spend an hour correcting 10+ spikes).
Battery life can't be checked, so you end up changing them more than needed.
using the gel makes no difference to the transmitter, nor does it seem to matter how wet it is.
I've sent the thing back several times, but with no improvement in reliability and will probably get a garmin shortly.

Favorite Ride:   Tonbridge castle 100 mile

Bike Setup:   Road use only

Submitted by Nicholas Farley a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2009

Strengths:    Accurate on speed, distance, and HR when in use.

Weaknesses:    Can't download. Breaks down often. Unbelievably frustrating.

Bottom Line:
Polar 625x. Does the job on the bike, but it has had to go to the service centre in Adelaide about 3 or 4 times. Battery runs low without an indicator. Buttons seize up. Won't down load without deleting a ride file. I don't know why Polar has a reputation for being reliable, because this, and those of some of my mates, is awful. How can a heart rate monitor be susceptible to sweat????

Favorite Ride:   Ridley Damocles

Purchased At:   Melbourne

Bike Setup:   Ridley Damocles with Record.

Submitted by jonjc a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2008

Strengths:    Functionality - ability to use for both cycling and running

Weaknesses:    SERVICE SERVICE SERVICE - They dont fix anything just try to sell you.

Bottom Line:
I have the Polar S625x and do like the functionality and capabilities. Unfortunately, recently I have had to work through the gaultet of their service and support structure and it was a nightmare. They use a third party (which I understand) but in my situation it felt like they were more interested in selling me ANOTHER watch rather than fixing mine. They have this "great" trade in program that is basically the same as buying a new watch, i didnt bite on the "hard sell". Here's the funny part, after I finally got the watch returned, I replaced the battery myself and it worked again!!!!! They suggest you mail in the watch to replace the battery - DONT DONT DONT, one more time DONT. Its easy, four screws in the back and a REALLY REALLY EXPENSIVE battery. Since I am in the business of customer support, I shared my experience with Polar USA and was hoping they would at least listen and evaluate the situation (these are expensive watches and support should be quality). Instead, I get the story, our support is great, you are an idiot and thanks for being a customer. The watch is great and expensive, but dont have the expectation that because they are priced like a mercedes their service is likewise. In fact, their service is like a Yugo!!! I love the watch but dont ever want to deal with their service

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by RICHB a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2008

Strengths:    Foot pod and easy of use (of the wirst unit)

Weaknesses:    The inability to download data. The IR device is not ready for primetime, and does the HR monitor and the user a great disservice.

Bottom Line:
The watch and HR monitor work well. The features and flexibility of the watch are great. The ability to transmit data from the watch to the computer stinks. It transfers data 1 out of 10 trys at best. I have tried all of the trouble shooting measures recommended, and even downloaded the program on different computer with the same result. Without the ability to downlaod the data reliably, the HR monitor and other features are of little or no value. I would not buy one until this problem is fixed.

Polar S625X Issues

I have a Polar S625x (which is the same as the S725x), and I cannot get into the "options" menus. When I go to "options" and hit the start button the screen says "locked". I have tried hitting the reset button on the right side, but that doesn't seem to help. Is there a length of time that I need to ... Read More »

Polar S625X communication with non-Polar IrDA

I have an S625X that I am trying to get to communicate with my laptop. I read a number of posts about using non-polar IrDA devices to do this. I have a Q-Stor branded IrDA that has a DATAMAN chip. After a number of hours I was able to get the driver to install on 32-bit Home Vista and it the IrDA is ... Read More »

Cateye Double Wireless vs. Polar speed/cadence (s625x)

I am considering a wireless setup for my new rig - I have a Polar S625x watch which will allow for speed/cadence. I also have been hearing good things about the version 2 of the CatEye Double Wireless lately as well. I am wondering if anyone has compared the Cateye Double Wireless to using a Pol ... Read More »

quick thoughts on the polar s625x and a great customer service experience

the polar s625x =============== i have been an avid user of polar HRMs in the past. i have trained with the s720i for the past year and find it an essential part of my training. it took some convincing from my training buddies to get me to start training with a HRM, but since i have, it would be ... Read More »