Timex IronMan 50 Lap Heart Rate Monitor Heart Rate Monitors

2.78/5 (9 Reviews)

Timex Ironman Road Trainer Heart Rate Monitor: Timex Ironman Road Trainer features target zones, average heart rate, recovery timer, max zone calculation, digital transmission and an owner replaceable battery...

Submitted by OldNick a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2008

Strengths:    Lots of features. Maybe too many? Nice watch to wear.

Weaknesses:    See my comments. Also when I had the watch battery replaced, they refused to pressure test it because they said too many had failed and they always got the blame

Bottom Line:
This is the 100 lap version.

Good watch. Not a good HRM. I have two, and they are both really unreliable. I have replaced batteries in both straps and one watch. It made no difference. The main issue is getting a link between the sensor and the watch (surprise). Sometimes it drops right in, but mostly it takes 5, 10, 15 minutes of wasted time. Timex said they had a 14-16 day turnaround, but the watchmaker said it was more like 3-6 weeks.

Value rating of 3 because when it works it's OK, and it's an alright watch.

Purchased At:   heartmonitors.com

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   I ride mountain. I came here to gripe and to see about more steady training methods etc.

Submitted by spokejunky a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2007

Strengths:    Chrono and intervals

Weaknesses:    Resets on it's own. Chest and Head unit eat batteries like Cap'n Crunch. Drops connectivity.

Bottom Line:
Save your money. The Timex HR monitor with the optional GPS and info recording unit has got issues. I bought this HR for it's simplicity and use of the intervals. During it's first month of use the monitor had problems losing connectivity while I was cycling in the drops. I took it back to the shop and they issued the 'replace the battery' fix. I did replace the battery and still had connection issues 3 out of 4 workouts while in the drops. I admit I kill HR and cycling computers with my sweat since only one has lasted more than a year. A mid-range Sigma HR has lasted me five years, but lacks the intervals, max and min values that the Timex has out of the box. I have found that the chest strap started letting sweat in around the rubber battery o-ring which gets the battery wet and as a result corrodes the battery. POS.

Similar Products Used:   Sigma
HAC4 Plus

Bike Setup:   Cannondale R5000

Submitted by GarbanzoBeanSnafu a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2006

Strengths:    Nice setup. Easy to use.

Weaknesses:    It dies at random intervals. Sent it back 3 times for just dying. Eventually, it just got water in it during a rain storm and stopped working.

Bottom Line:
Works great, until... Basically, this thing worked pretty well, but I did have to send it back a bunch. I had it nearly three years, so I guess it was OK. I would have liked it to last longer, since it had all the features I need.

Ave HR, Ave HR in Zone, Time in Zone. Custom Zone.

Favorite Ride:   Mountains

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   dura ace

Submitted by ladams a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2006

Strengths:    Large display

Weaknesses:    Well, I have not gotten two of them to reliably work.

Bottom Line:
I have had two Timex HR monitors and they fail. The first started misbehaving almost immediatly. This included one point where the alarm would not shut off and I had to wrap in a spare tee-shirt to avoid being shoved into a ditch.

The second one after warrenty replacement, Timex lost the first one when tehy received it, worked for approx three weeks. HR will not turn on, and if it does turn on, shuts off and can't be restarted.

I am moving on. I had a Cateye that lasted six years. LBS has been honoring warrenty, but I would prefer the HR to work.

Conclusion: If Timex wants me as a customer, then the Timex products need to perform as promised!

Favorite Ride:   Tour d' Lac

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Polar

Bike Setup:   Nice

Submitted by cthomas a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2005

Strengths:    It's an Ironman!
Easy to use
No problems with interference

Weaknesses:    Missing some HRM features, but what should you expect at this price?

Bottom Line:
I admit I REALLY wanted a Polar. I had a SI Circuit 7 and wanted to updgrade. I went back and forth and decided to try this one so I could change my own batteries.

I haven't been disappointed. If you own an Ironman watch the operation is similar. I found it easy to set up, and have had few issues with loss of signal. I use a wireless Flight Deck and have no problems with interference. I love the fact I can take it off and use it as a watch.

I have found this to be a good value unit that is very reliable.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere flat