Vetta V100HR WL2X Heart Rate Monitors

3.4/5 (5 Reviews)

• Speed (Current / Avg / Max)
  • Percent of Maximum Heart Rate
  • EZ-Set Programmable Upper / Lower HR Limits
  • User Selected Audible & Visible Alarm

Submitted by jamie lloyd

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2014

Strengths:    Great data.....when it works

Weaknesses:    Sensors, battery life.

Bottom Line:
Of the 10 times I have used this product, is has actually worked twice. I've gone through 4 batteries, constantly adjust the sensors........so frustrating.

Submitted by Samantha a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2011

Bottom Line:
The product appearance is good and eye catching.It can be used for beginner riders, enthusiasts, athletes and commuters.The ease of use include lap training, SmartLite, heart rate monitor, wireless speed & cadence and much more.

Submitted by Jeff a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2011

Bottom Line:
The V100HR WL2X combines the functions of a cycling computer with the HR features in a fitness monitor. It offers 21 functions including Vettas exclusive special features Timer, Dual Bike Memory, multiple Freeze Frame Memory. This is triple wireless with speed, cadence and the heart rate.

Submitted by richyankee a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2010

Strengths:    functions

Weaknesses:    visibility
battery life (sensors)
support - apparently non-existent

Bottom Line:
I am a new rider and my goal is fitness. It has been six months since I started and am now enjoying the ride. But, since I'm very technical, I like equipment that can provide me with teh kind of information (heart rate, speed, cadence, time etc.) and especially the summaries and averages that are available with the Vetta computer.
I have only had this thing out three times and so far, it has been a problem on 100% of my rides with it.
Installation - pretty easy, the instructions could be better but the diagrams are helpful and it is obvious (to an engineer) how to set it up. I also very much appreciate the test feature build into the sensors - they sing when you have the alignment within tolerance - actually they make a little beep sound each time the magnet psses).
Navigation through the two-tiered system is not bad once you get used to it, but functionality withing the screens is poorly documented and I required trial-and-error methods to get things started (and I have been programming and using computers for 30 years). I still don't know how to do several important things because I haven't had it working long enough to experience it all.
Here's the problem list:
After 1 ride, the speed sensor battery went dead. For the second ride, I had to replace it with the cadence sensor battery. For the third ride, it was just a clock - not useful at all without sensors - no surprise there.
Secondly, visibility is not good. I had my old computer on teh handlebars whiel testing teh Vetta and I had not trouble seeing the display at all (just the clock) but the Vetta screen was noticeably darker and I had to stop and make sure there was sunlight directly on screen to read theVetta, not so with the other.
Also, teh data on screen is so small, except for speed and a couple of others on the top half, I have to stop and put on glasses to read the heart rate etc. It's okay after the ride to review the data but it woudl be a lot more useful if you could see it in the shade, wearing sunglasses while pedaling your ass off - but that's not possible, at least not for me.
Last, but not least.: I have attempted to contact them to return/repair/replace or otherwise correct this situation (a computer that is non-functional because the sensor batteries last only a few hours) and have not heard anything from them.
SO, all in all, my $60 computer works better, lasts longer and is visible to me while the Vetta fails on all three counts. The old one doesn't have a heart rate monitor in it, so I guess Vetta wins.
Yes, it's a real winner.

Favorite Ride:   7.2FX Trek

Purchased At:   Goodale's

Similar Products Used:   trek incite

Bike Setup:   7.2FX out of the box

Submitted by jwpalmer a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
I had been using the original Vetta V100HR for almost a year and a half. My Dad and I both purchased one around the same time, and it was a terrible computer. After putting completely fresh batteries in it, and heading out for a training ride, it quickly degraded to becoming a glorified digital clock.

I had gotten so frustrated with its performance that I started tracking when it "worked" and when it didn't. Out of 50 rides, I had success with it 12 times. Horrific. I decided to take matters into my own hands and posted a negative review of the thing, especially after my Dad had similar experiences, and the bike shop we bought if from couldn't help.

Within an hour of posting (and on a Sunday, I might add), a Vetta rep contacted me, offering to make the situation right. It was fantastic- he said it was his job to personally ensure that every customer is satisfied with their respective Vetta products. Within a week, I'd received a brand new computer, free of charge and no questions asked. I strapped it onto my bike and can now say after a couple of weeks of training with it, that the "old Vetta" is no more.

One of the things explained to me was that Acumen, Inc. purchased the Vetta brand and completely reworked every one of the product's flaws. And you can tell- much more comprehensive triggers for speed and cadence sensors, the receiver is built in to the computer itself instead of the mount, and there's even a beeping sound that comes from each sensor on setup to ensure you've got everything positioned correctly for good pickup of data. They even reworked how the sensors and mount are attached to the bike, with adjustable straps that screw to a tight fit around the frame and fork.

Also, no more of those zip ties unless your frame has some kind of weird setup. I've got a two inch aerofoil fork that the speed sensor still fit around, so I'm talking a really, really, odd setup. Even so, zip ties come with it and are an easy alternative to the screw-on straps. Speaking of includes, even batteries came with this, something I wasn't expecting at all.

The heart rate monitor is also a more flexible fabric, which isn't cold to the touch and conforms to your body more, for better reception of your heart rate. It also doesn't need to wait until you start sweating to pick up data- you put it on, and it goes to work.

Big kudos to Acumen for picking up and running with the Vetta line- where concept was solid and execution was poor, Acumen has not only fixed the issues, but is exceeding expectations for repairing the damage from past sins of Vetta products. This new product is solid, no question about it.