Hammer Nutrition Gel Nutrition

4.9/5 (20 Reviews)

Now you can get Hammer Gel in convenient single-serving packages. Hammer Gel uses long-chain complex carbohydrates for smooth consistent energy release to keep you energized all-ride long. There's only a trace of sugar so it won't set off wild insulin s

Submitted by Greg

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2013

Strengths:    Noticeable sustained engergy

Bottom Line:
Used for the first time. I ride between 50 to 140 km most rides during which sometimes I dont have power to push myself as much as I would like to. Upon taking one gel pack BOOM. My speed went from 32km/hr to 40 + km/hr without feeling tired. I just kept pedaling for the next hour. I also drank enough water to keep lactic acid burn away. This stuff is amazing!

Submitted by Danielle Brenon

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2013

Strengths:    Quick energy, good taste, clean ingredients.

Weaknesses:    Wish more of them contained caffeine.

Bottom Line:
I take Hammer Nutrition gel before just about any workout, long run or race. The mixture of complex carbs is good for health and for quick, clean energy! I have never experienced a sugar spike or energy crash when/after using this product. My only "complaint" is that I wish more of them had caffeine in them! My favorite flavor is espresso.

Submitted by michaelscott23454 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2011

Strengths:    Steady fuel, no peaks and valleys. After much agony with simple sugar containing products, finally solved stomach distress in hot weather with hammer gels/fuels.

Weaknesses:    Price can be high when you include shipping costs. Work a bulk deal with your LBS.

Bottom Line:
If you are training for long distance endurance events (5+ hours), you may have found, as I have, that fueling gets a bit more complex than just gels. I've been training for the LOTOJA Classic 2011 which is a 206 mile ride over 3 mountain passes from Logan, Utah to Teton Village, Wyoming. I've logged over 3000 miles since April this year with many rides well over 100 miles in temperatures approaching 100F. My two longest rides have been a bit over 10 hours long. I have experimented with a wide range of fuels but found that every product containing simple sugars gave me stomach distress when the temperature got above 75F, which happened on all of my long training rides. I finally settled on hammer products. They contain no simple sugars and are instead based on maltodextrin as the main carb source. I use one packet per 10 miles, alternating between a caffeinated and non-caffeinated gel each time. When the temperature gets above 85F, I back off to one packet every 20 miles. My hydration drink is perpetuum, also a hammer product containing no simple sugars, but having a small amount of protein which is essential for rides over two hours. I mix this 1.5 scoops to 500ml water for temperatures up to 65F, 1 scoop to 500ml water for temperatures up to 75F, and .5 scoop to 500ml water above 75F. While this does not keep pace with calorie expenditure, I have found that it supplements fat burning sufficiently to sustain multiple climbs and flat 18 mph pace for 10+ hours. My stomach seems unable to cope with intake much higher than about 300-400 Cal/hr. Hammer has good customer service, but free shipping requires purchase over $100. My LBS carries the products at a cheaper price than hammer when I buy from them in bulk. I use hammer's electrolyte product called endurolyte at a rate of 3 caps/hr when it is hot, less when it is not. Every rider is different so this advice may be ultra-conservative and perhaps irrelevant for shorter rides. For me, riding endurance events without stomach distress and with adequate fuel makes a huge difference in both performance and attitude. Whether you chose to use hammer products or not, I would suggest that your long distance fuel be free of simple sugars.

Favorite Ride:   Century +

Similar Products Used:   I've used every gel/fuel you could name, but finally found that simple sugars are the culprit for stomach distress and inconsistent energy over the long haul. There are plenty of "real food" choices that accomplish the same thing - boiled potatoes, banana's, bagels, etc, but the convenience of gel packs and hydration supplements make fueling and hydration much simpler when you are trying to concentrate on the pace line.

Bike Setup:   2012 Specialized Roubaix S-Works SL3, Dura Ace Groupo, Swiss DT wheels, speed play pedals, Brooks B-15 Swallow saddle with Ti rails, S-Works shoes, 2 frame bottle cages, 2 seat post bottle cages, fuel pouch on top tube, garmin 705 gps.

Submitted by Austin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2011

Bottom Line:
I was at states championships today and my coach gave my whole boat a hammer gel packet each 30 minutes before our biggest race of our live..... And it worked... it got me to pull harder and also got me a scholastic state title!!

Favorite Ride:   Rowing

Submitted by Math Expert a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2009

Strengths:    Individual packets work great. Love it!

Weaknesses:    If you use the flask you'd best put your own markings on the side that represent 1.25 ounces each...or ride at your own risk.

Bottom Line:
I'm 58 and due road endurance training on my mountain bike. I ride about 28 miles per outing in the Phoenix area. Prior to using Hammer Gel I suffered two different episodes of heat stroke...the last one almost killed me. After discovering Hammer Gel I've determined consuming one packet every 30-45 minutes works great for me. No more heat stroke problems! This product is great...at least the individual packets, that is.

The other day I opted to buy the large bottle to save money. They claim it contains 26 servings and the serving size is 2 tablespoons. I beg to differ! I did the math myself...26 servings should be 768 ml and this bottle is 650 ml. Quite a big discrepency. I also bought the Hammer Flask which they say holds 5-6 servings. If one serving is 2 tablespoons (36 grams), or 1.25 ounces, then this flask which has 5 markings on it should hold 6.25 ounces of product. I filled the flask with water up to the "5" marker, oured the contents into a measuring cup and found there's only 4 ounces of product in there.

I love the product but they need to make the flask so each marking represents the equivalent of an individual packet. I don't want to die because the folks at Hammer Gel can't do math!

Favorite Ride:   25 miler