Hammer Nutrition HEED Nutrition

3.6/5 (5 Reviews)

• Store Price

HEED's subtle tasting all-complex carbohydrate formula goes down easily and supplies you with consistent long-lasting energy and the electrolytes. HEED's sweeteners - stevia and xylitol - are actually good for you xylitol being especially beneficial fo

Submitted by ARAM a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2011

Strengths:    Great energy supplier that last for duration of 25 miles for every bottle.

Weaknesses:    Faint flavor and energy with only one scoop.

Bottom Line:
I use to live for Accelerade but once I was turned on to HEED by Hammer I went from trying to draft on everyones wheel to pulling more than my wieght on every ride.

Favorite Ride:   Waller Mill

Purchased At:   Bike Beat NN, VA

Similar Products Used:   Accelerade

Bike Setup:   Scott Speedster S20 w/ Shimano Ultegra and Easton Aero 50 wheelset.

Submitted by dwmmlm a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2010

Strengths:    Formula provides ample fuel

Weaknesses:    Taste is truly horrific

Bottom Line:
Good for energy if you can get past the taste. Used for both cycling and marathon training with good results, but can find same results with much better taste with Accelerade or similar products.

Bike Setup:   Kuota Kalibur (Camp Record)
Specialized Tarmac (Shimano Dura Ace)

Submitted by dausone a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2009

Strengths:    Taste, mixes fast in water, sweetened with Stevia.

Weaknesses:    Can be a bit upsetting on the stomach at first with larger dosages and no extra plain water source available.

Bottom Line:
After receiving a sample of HEED that came with my order from hammernutrition, I decided I would buy a container and give it a go for a longer test. I've been using it for a little over a week now. It has a pleasant creamsicle taste and is fairly easy on the stomach. I advise starting light and working your way up to a recommended dosage. I usually have an extra bottle of unmixed water with me so I can choose when to have the electrolytes and calories.

All in all, I would recommend it for shorter rides taken with another calorie source. Heed combined with hammer gel and I am able to sustain a steady pace for three hours and don't have to worry about bonking out.

Favorite Ride:   San Gabriels

Bike Setup:   DeBernardi

Submitted by moreyp a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2008

Strengths:    I looked at the cannister as I was mixing it and saw that it was low sugar.

Weaknesses:    Taste

Bottom Line:
I stopped toward the end of a 37 mile ride at my LBS to fill my bottles and they had me try the Mandarin Orage flavor of HEED. Honestly, I hated it. I had a slight milk taste to me that I found disgusting for on the bike hydration.

Similar Products Used:   NUUN (my usual on bike drink with gels)
PowerBar Endurance (also not good)

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR 2 w/Ultegra driverain

Submitted by Marcos_E a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2008

Strengths:    + Great taste: The beverage does taste really nice. It's mild, but with a hint of sweetness and there also seems to be a bit of a slight fizz, which makes it go down really easily.

+ Health Benefits: The nutrition facts on this definitely don't lie, it's a really beneficial drink and at a low sugar cost, but only if you have the stomach for it...

Weaknesses:    - It may be just me, but I got really nauseous off the stuff and couldn't ride very well after about an hour of sipping at it according to my thirst. It's entirely possible I just messed up.

Bottom Line:
Having had very little experience with Hammer products, but encouraged by both the shop owner and reviews on this site, I decided to give HEED a shot, for both my sake and so that it can finally get a review.

Please note that this is the review for the single-serving Mandarin Orange flavor and I only used half of it, just like I would with any other powdered fitness beverage.

The solution itself does take a couple moments to mix in the bottle, so I recommend shaking it vigorously and also giving it a few minutes after to really let the powder dissolve.

The product itself was interesting, to say the least and I'll outline its points in the strengths and weaknesses section.

If you're in a hurry, here's my summary. It's great stuff, but it may not be right for you. Buy a single serving packet and give it a go.

Favorite Ride:   Bellevue-Hailey Broadford Road