Ergomo Ergomo Powermeter Power Meters

MSRP : $2000.00

For this complete review, please visit www.alabamacyclingnews.com/ergomoreview.htm

Now the Bad Stuff

To remind you, I do like the Ergomo unit. However, the customer service if you have a warranty repair---well sucks. I snapped the spindle off my bottom bracket on April 18th. I remember this date because it was one day removed from the tax deadline (I prepare tax returns). I snapped the spindle off the bottom bracket. I called the U.S. distributor. They instructed me to fill out the warranty card and mail the unit back to them. Easy enough. The unit was in the mail on the 19th.

One month goes by and my unit has not arrived. I call and I leave a message (I'm still waiting on this return phone call). I email. After a week, I get a reply confirming they have my unit and they are awaiting parts from Germany. The parts should arrive in 10-12 days. Cool, I'm patient. I have cranks.

Toward the end of May, I call and, yes leave a message. No returned call. I email and about a week later, I get an reply saying that I will be notified when the parts arrive. Grrr, I want my powermeter.

Mid June comes and I email again. I get the response from the U.S. Distributor stating that they don't handle warranties. They are simply a 'facilitator' between the U.S. and Germany and my unit was in Germany--contact them. I was given an email address to mail to. The email address was not valid. I replied to the U.S. Distributor that the address was not valid, they gave me the owner's e-mail address and said to email the owner. I was also assured that he was fully aware of my warranty issue. I e-mailed the owner and I have yet to get a response. I called the distributor and, yes, I left a message and I was assured I'd get a call back. This was on June 24th--over two months after I sent the unit in for repair. As of this writing on June 25th, I have not received a reply email, my Ergomo or a return phone call from any of my four calls into the office.

Now, I know it sounds like I am bashing Ergomo. I am and I am not. I really enjoy the unit. I would endorse them to anyone who asked me about the unit. The unit works well. Just hope that you don't have a warranty issue. With SRM and Powertap, I've sent my units in for repair and routine maintainance and I received my unit back in one week or less (counting shipping). So far, with Ergomo it has been 70 days and counting and I can't even get a straight answer as to the status of Ergomo and when I'd expect it back.

If this were a small item, I wouldn't care and I'd probably have cut my losses by now. However, this is a $1700 unit that I'd kind of like in my hand or preferably back on my bike.

In due fairness, I have sent this review to Ergomo before posting on my site. I am not intending this to 'trash' Ergomo, but merely to provide you with real life experiences for those in the market of buying a powermeter.

In regards functionality and user frien

Submitted by wildcardbike a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
Now the Bad Stuff

In regards functionality and user friendliness my ranking of powermeters would be:

Ergomo
SRM
Powertap
Polar (I've never uses Polar so they could be higher)
In regards to customer service my ranking of powermeters would be:

Powertap
SRM
Polar (I've sent back heartrate monitors and they couldn't possibly be more unresponsive than Ergomo)
not here