CycleOps Roller Rollers

• Fully Sssembled

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by FPC a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth, Quiet, Easy to set up, folds up easily, light, resistance attachment available, Manufacturer stands by product for life - no questions asked!

Bottom Line:
    I bought these used and cheap. One of the drums rattled and buzzed. I emailed the manufacturer of the CycleOps rollers, which is Sportscrafters, and promptly got an email back from the owner Peter Colan. He sent me a new drum with hand tightening nuts for free not even a shipping cost and he also through in a new drive band for free! I am blown away. I had told him it was CycleOps branded (not his own Sportscrafters version) and that I got it used off E Bay and he said that Sportscrafters warrants their products for life, regardless of how many times it's been bought/sold. I popped on the drum and band and the rollers work good as new, which by the way is super smooth and quiet. I had to pass on the experience I had.

Favorite Ride:   Loveland Pass

Purchased At:   E Bay

Similar Products Used:   Tacx PVC Rollers

Bike Setup:   Guru, Campy, etc.

Submitted by stabdawgarson a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2010

Strengths:    Quiet.
    Five levels of resistance.

Weaknesses:    It would be nice to change the resistance level while riding, but I suppose that's what the right shifter is for.
    Even quiet rollers can be loud at 30+mph.

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the 2009 model with aluminum drums (plastic end caps) and resistance unit.
    I considered the Kreitlers, but the guys at the LBS said the CycleOps were fine for 10+ years of 30-45 minute hammer sessions. Plus these are 200 bucks cheaper and if I'd spent more money, I'd be more inclined to ride indoors.
    When riding rollers I have found a HRM and cadence sensor to be indispensable. I would rather ride outdoors, but the rollers are a good way to work on smoothness and aerobic conditioning.

Favorite Ride:   Outside

Similar Products Used:   Performance $150 rollers.

Bike Setup:   2007 Cannondale Six13 with a Campy tubular wheelset I use on the rollers.

Submitted by soccerdad a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2009

Strengths:    Quiet, build up good endurance and aids your pedaling/riding technique more than other trainers.

Weaknesses:    Can be a little tricky getting onto your bike when on these rollers as your bike is now about 5" higher than normal and no really good step provided to mount your bike from.

Bottom Line:
    One of the reviews posted here talks about the excessive noise of these rollers. I had the same issue with mine. I contacted Cycle Ops, sent them an electronic file of the noise I experienced and they promptly sent me a replacement. The replacement is very quiet. (How often have you had customer service like this? They didn't even require me to send mine in first! They provided a return shipping label and I simply put the old ones into the shipping box for return! Fantastic!) I have no issue with the noise of these new rollers, whatsoever.

Living in the midwest, there are several days throughout the year that I can't ride outdoors. I find this to be an excellent alternative to outdoor riding. It forces me to ride with proper technique 100% of the time. If I loose focus, I am slipping off the rollers in a heartbeat. If you are looking for mind numbing exercise, I would recommend one of the mag or fluid trainers that holds your bike stationary. If you are looking for an indoor trainer that will improve your riding technique while giving you a good aerobic workout, these are the hookup! I find my road riding will be as straight as an arrow after spending time on the rollers. I do a lot of group riding/training with drafting. This really helps keep a smooth train going for these rides. Also, my pedal cadence is very consistent, rotating the pedals very smoothly full circle. These rollers (aluminum model) are very durable and fold up for easy storage.

Submitted by samuel a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2007

Strengths:    nothing really.

Weaknesses:    poorly made. over priced. loud at a high cadence.

Bottom Line:
    most of these people that wrote reviews have never been on any other rollers, which explains why they gave good reviews. CycleOps rollers are not worth buying if you want something worth keeping. Over a 100 cadence they start producing way to much noise and vibration. With CycleOps, my entire apartment started to vibrate. If you want rollers, which I think is the best indoor workout (second to an indoor velodrome)go with Kreitler. A much smoother roller and worth the extra cash if you are buying new. If not, I got mine off ebay for $75 less than i payed for the CycleOps rollers.

Favorite Ride:   saturday night to the bars

Purchased At:   Richardson Bike Mart

Similar Products Used:   Kreitler Challenger.

Bike Setup:   Tiemeyer - Track.

Submitted by Jon Bainbridge a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2006

Strengths:    sprints

Weaknesses:    hills

Bottom Line:
    In the winter I had to ride on a stationary hyd. trainer. Riding on the rollers offers a much better work out. You have to be better at balancing than you do riding outside. Their seems to be a little more resistance riding on rollers.

Favorite Ride:   out side on bike trail

Purchased At:   Dales bike shop