Kreitler Dyno-Myte Rollers

4.56/5 (9 Reviews)

These rollers are unique because they provide resistance without using a device such as a windfan. The drums are anodized red, easily adjustable and measure 15" x 2 1/4". The frame is epoxy powder-coated and folds for easy storage.

Submitted by Rick a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2011

Strengths:    Okay so I've been riding a long time(40 yrs) and I've had my Kreitler Dyno-Myte rollers since 95. They are great kick-ass rollers that are still going strong.

These rollers are a great resource they will build up your legs and riding ability. Spend the off season on these babies and you'll amaze your friends and competitors come the new racing season.

Weaknesses:    Built to last even the belt is still going strong. Yeah the frame feels a bit flimsy when you lift the assembly but guess what. They are more than sturdy and reliable when in contact with the floor.

Bottom Line:
Simply the best off season training device I've ever used. They are rugged and very very durable.

Favorite Ride:   Serotta CRL

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Similar Products Used:   Gee - none that I can see. Maybe after another 15 years or so, something might crop up. The paint on the roller frame has rubbed off in places. I'll report back in another 15 years or so to report on their long term durability.

Bike Setup:   Never needed to use any others since these have lasted so long.

Submitted by eyebob a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2006

Strengths:    durability, smoothness or rollers

Weaknesses:    really none. I could say price, but for as long as these last, they're worth it.

Bottom Line:
Terrific product. I've had them 3 years and am only now beginning to fully appreciate them. I use them to train on indoors exclusively. I truly feel that in 1/2 hour on these suckers I get the equivilent of 1+ hour tempo ride outdoors. Rollers significantly strengthen your core (abs, obliques, lower back) much, much, much more than a regular trainer does. Once you learn them you will not go back.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   no other rollers

Bike Setup:   blah, blah, blah.

Submitted by Ian a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2006

Strengths:    Road-like feel, as long as you run them with the optional flywheel(s), lots of rolling resistance for training benefit, and the rollers themselves are well-made.

The optional stationary forkstand works very well and provides a good option for harder riding efforts since there is no worry about destablizing oneself and falling off either side of the rollers under hard efforts.

Weaknesses:    As mentioned, the optional flywheels run very noisy, and cause alot of vibration through the floor. In my opinion, the construction quality of the flywheels is much lower than the rollers themselves. Kreitler should machine their flywheels, rather than casting them. I would have happily paid a higher price for a higher quality flywheel.

The rollers are 15" wide, and could be a bit wider (18") to provide more margin for error when first learning to ride on rollers.

In retrospect, I might have gone for the model with 3" diameter rollers and bought the optional resistance fan, rather than the 2.25" rollers, because the smaller rollers always provide a high level of rolling resistance. Sometimes you just want a light recovery spin.

Bottom Line:
These rollers are very well-made, and by themselves, run quietly (relatively), but without the optional flywheels, I find that they don't feel much like you're riding on the road.

While the optional flywheels (I run two - one on each side at the rear) do provide a much more road-like feel as advertised, they are, in my opinion, not very well-made. They appear to have been cast, rather than machined, and the result is that they don't run true, which seems to induce wobble. Also, or perhaps as a result, they run very loud and cause severe vibrations through the floor, such that the vibration carries through the entire house.

I'll give the rollers themselves a "5" rating, and although the flywheels provide a very realistic road feel, they are so noisy and cause so much vibration that it is a real irritant for the rider and anyone else who has to live in the house. So I'll give them an overall rating of "3" if you include the flywheel.

Favorite Ride:   hills

Purchased At:   Cyclosportif GM Bert

Bike Setup:   Seven Ti Axiom, Seven 5E carbon fork, Dura-Ace/Ultegra components, Mavic Open Pro rims with Ultegra hubs.

Submitted by Tommy3172 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2005

Strengths:    -Build Quality and warranty
-Provides an extremely tough workout
-Rollers made me redefine my definition of balance
-More realistic feal than a trainer, more entertaining that a trainer and stresses the frame less

Weaknesses:    -Out of the saddle sprinting is a daunting task (More of a personal weakness, I don't yet have the coordination)
-Myte model isn't whisper quiet
-Set up is kind of a pain i.e. placement of front drum requires use of a plum line (I'm guessing that you'd need to do this for any brand of rollers)
-Pricey

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased the Poly-Myte version so that I could still ride in the winter without the utter monotony of a trainer. It is true that it takes a bit of patience to be able to ride unassisted (it took me about 15 minutes), but the bottom line for me was to leave my comfort zone and just try to ride without leaning or touching something, that is after using something to get the wheels moving. Even though it only took me 15 minutes to get up, I was falling off constantly but that was mainly due to the fact that I was afraid to fall. Once I got over that it actually got easier, ironic, I know. That being said, I'm happy with the product but they aren't as quiet as I had expected, not loud but not whisper quiet (I'm using Michelin Carbons inflated to max psi 116, I do need a tune up though). Additionally, after hearing all of this talk about rollers improving your spin, I'm not really feeling it; I can ride clipped in and only apply force on the downstroke with ease (spin improvement may be a bigger factor with the larger drums on the Lyte, Aluminum or Challenger models, as they don't require as much strength to operate, making a higher cadence more feasible throughout the gear range). On a side note, I'd recommend using the cheapest tires possible, as the drums leave a metallic residue on the tire and they just wear them out very quickly. In conclusion I'm extremely happy with them, but looking back I would've bought a model with a larger drum. The resistance of the Myte models requires significant leg strength and unless you're a brute you'd probably be better off with a larger drum to help improve your spin.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Cycle-Ops wind trainer

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Cyclocross Disc, switched to traditional road gearing, Crank Bros Candy SL's

Submitted by Thorman a Road Racer from Canton, OH

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2003

Strengths:    These rollers are very smooth and surprisingly provide a fair amount of resistance.

Weaknesses:    The biggest weakness to these rollers is the frame construction. Made from 1" square tubing, the frame feels somewhat flimsy when you fold it up. The pins that are supplied for locking the front roller in place are also too short and have a sloppy fit into the frame. For this price I would expect a more robust frame design that doesn't feel like it's going to come apart every time you fold it up.

Bottom Line:
For the past three winters I've been training more and more since I've begun to race and my Performance rollers finally gave out last year so I decided to spend the money on a good set of rollers this year and chose the Kreitler Dyno-Mytes.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist