Kreitler Poly-Lyte Rollers

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)

The aluminum drum tube is silver with blue polycarbonate end caps. The belt is white and the frame is red epoxy powder coated for a lasting finish. As with all Kreitler roller frames, folding is standard. No tools necessary to change the wheelbase.

Submitted by eljayo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2007

Strengths:    Exceptional quality
Simple/elegant design
Made in USA

Weaknesses:    None that I have found

Bottom Line:
I have been using my Kreitlers for almost a year now and I have no doubts that I made the right choice. Initially I went with the 1upUSA stand trainer and I would say that it probably the best there is for that category but I could tell right away that the locked-in feeling was going to have me bored to tears. Thanks to their generous satisfaction guarantee I was able to return it and get a set of these Poly-Lyte rollers and I haven’t looked back.

I started out using them in a doorway, which is a very good idea but it doesn’t take too long before you can get away from that (if you want). I’ve ridden off a couple of times and never found it to be a big deal… As long as you know how to get out of your pedals and you don’t put yourself in a position to break something valuable, you’ll be fine. The big thing with using these high quality rollers is the feedback you get. You will know if your pedal stroke is not smooth and it will force you to become more subtle with your bike handling. I don’t think you could find a better way to improve your skills and maintain some fitness during the off-season.

I also have to add that I can't imagine going with a different diameter of roller. This seems like the perfect size for me and I would think for most people. The big ones would be too easy for most and the little ones would only be appropriate for elite athletes.

Favorite Ride:   Icicle Creek

Purchased At:   Mountain View Bicycl

Bike Setup:   Coppi Millenium

Submitted by laps a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2006

Strengths:    Great tool to improve balance and coordination on the bike. Well made with lifetime warranty. Replacement parts readily available.

Weaknesses:    None noted. Don't think they are too expensive when compared to other trainers and rollers considering they are really a lifetime purchase.

Bottom Line:
(Price was for Dyno-Lyte model)It doesn't take but one or two rides to know that these rollers are far better than a regualar trainer. Rode with running shoes in a doorway the first ride, but was able to take a drink, change bar positions, and stand up - very carefully. Couldn't bring myself to go no handed. Made a feeble attempt and quickly abandoned the idea as insane. Second ride was in the middle of the room with bike shoes watching the 2005 Tour. Only crashed once when the riders were decending a mountain pass and I got a little into it. The point is, they are not that hard to get used to. The resistance is enough to allow for spinning at lower gears, but will get your HR up as you increase speed. I used the Watt chart available on the Kreitler website to make my selection. These are perfect for a strong recreational rider/wana-be-racer. Smooth and semi-quiet. Set the TV at 40 - 45 volume on the Kurt Kinetic trainer, but only 30-35 with the rollers. Still loud, but not terrible. Well worth the money. I agree the frame was more flimsy then I expected and the adjustment pins are stubby little things, but they have no force applied so it doesn't make sense to weaken the frame by drilling a second hole. Totally functional and will last a lifetime I'm sure. Folds up nicely.

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Kurt Kitetic Trainer (Excellent)
Cycle Ops Trainer

Bike Setup:   Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel w/Dura-Ace

Submitted by 10kman a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2006

Strengths:    Customer Support is great, always answer right away and with details
Solid Build
Folds up nicely

Weaknesses:    Not enough resistance for some of us
Price is high, but it's an upfront cost

Bottom Line:
I originally started out with the Challenger, however it was WAY too easy, felt like no resistance for me.

Luckily, traded up to the Poly-Lyte, and that is slightly better for resistance, but I can still find myself spinning along at 25-30 MPH without too much of an effort.

I never tried the Dyno-Myte series to see how hard they were, but I was skewed towards the lesser models, since they are "so hard". I'm thinking I'd do fine on them.

However, if you want max versatility, then either the Lyte or the Challengers with the Kreitler fan would give you plenty of resistance and allow you to spin all the same, which is their intention.

The Lyte series is okay for me right now, I just gear up and run the tires a little soft so I get more resistance if I'm working out. For recovery, keep the tires aired up and spin.

Quality is top-notch, however they are far from "whisper quiet". I've never had any indoor training unit that didn't make me have to crank the volume up on the TV/Radio. I don't mind though, that's the deal with wanting to train indoors.

Favorite Ride:   Anything

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Challengers, 1UpUSA trainer, Kurt Kinetic trainer

Bike Setup:   Merckx, Orbea

Submitted by GR Jacobs a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2004

Strengths:    Super smooth, not boring like a regular trainer. Folds up for easy storage, fairly quiet. Lifetime warranty.

Weaknesses:    The price is high considering that you really only get a lightweight frame, 3 rollers, and a belt. I think they used to be preassembled, but now they aren't. You have to put them in a place where you can lean against something, or it's very easy to fall over. A doorway works well.

Bottom Line:
I owned the Kreitler Challenger rollers several years ago. I liked them, but there wan't enough resistance. These offer enough resistance for me. In just 3 workouts I have already noticed an improvement in my spinning. Rollers definitely improve your balance and spin, and these offer enough resistance for intervals. Feels like being on the road with a super strong tailwind.

Favorite Ride:   Covered Bridges metric century Lancaster, Pa.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Kreitler Challenger rollers, and an indoor trainer (that I hated).

Bike Setup:   Lemond Buenes Aires, steel frame with Ultegra components.

Submitted by Sam a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2004

Strengths:    Quality craftmanship
Great performance

Weaknesses:    Not cheap but worth the money. Will last a lifetime.

Bottom Line:
Price above in in Canadian dollars. Just purchased the Ploy Lyte's yesterday. Have had less than 1 hour on them but so far they are great. Had a windtrainer before but after riding these rollers there is no going back.

I researched this quite a bit before I bought the product and it paid off. They were recommended to me by a cycling coach and he was right. The workmanship is superior. No other rollers came close to this product. They perform great and will help me become a better rider. All of the other reviews noted in this section about the Kreitler products is absolutely bang on.

Purchased At:   Above and Beyond