Performance Inc. Technique Pro Rollers

Precision lathe-turned aluminum drums with weighted end caps for smooth spin, all-steel epoxy powdercoated frame. Folds for easy storage and transport. Compatible with Performance Front Stabilizer.

Submitted by drewpeterson a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2006

Strengths:    Very nice firm foundation and look nice.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
These rollers are a great value and have really helped improve my feeling for the back and my upper body relaxation. You learn how to not fight the bike. Every serious cyclist needs to ride rollers. They have taught me so much and are fun. I once owned a normal trainer that I returned because it borred me to tears. I like to begin or end every ride with these rollers. It has the nice benefit of also logging on the miles on you computer because the front wheel spins. I can ride them with no hands no and also one legged and it has really helped my overal bike handling. Rollers are awesome!

Favorite Ride:   julian loop

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale caad4. Jamis ventura Giant cadex.

Submitted by cthomas a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2006

Strengths:    Price, alluminum alloy drums, solid construction.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I needed a new set of rollers as my old Nashbar PVC rollers were warped and in bad shape. I was shopping around for a deal on alloy rollers, and while I would love to have the Kreitler's the price kept putting me off.

In the course of shopping online I found the deal at Performance to get these half off their list price. Pretty hard to walk away from. I have put several hundred miles on these and am happy with the purchase.

Overall, the construction of these rollers is of a high quality. The alloy drums are well machined, and the ride is very smooth. They are a mid-sized drum, so the workout is good but there is not a lot of resistance. As noted by one of the other reviewers, the alloy drums tend to "sing" at higher speed due to the light aluminum of the rollers. Also, make sure and use old tires, as like with a rear-wheel trainer the aluminum heats up and EATS tires.

I have seen other reviews of this product with complaints on the bearings. I am a clydesdale and have had no issues here (yet). I will likely grease the bearings on a rainy weekend this summer just in case, but that is not due to any issues.

Overall I rate these as an excellent value. Not the high bling factor you would get with Kreitlers, but at $109 these are well worth the price.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere!

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar PVC rollers, Minoura mag trainer, Performance fluid trainer.

Bike Setup:   Custom Seven Alaris, Campy Chorus, FSA cranks, handbuilt DT Swiss/Velocity Aerohead wheels, Speedplay zero pedals.

Submitted by otoman a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2005

Strengths:    Good value

Weaknesses:    Rollers "sing" at higher speeds (>20mph). I really have to crank up the TV to hear it when riding the rollers.

Bottom Line:
Very good for the money. Not a lot of resistance but great for developing a smooth spin and riding in a straight line. These, or any rollers, will dramatically improve your ability to smoothly ride in a pack or paceline.

Favorite Ride:   Lieper's Fork, TN

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   PVC rollers - all warp over a short time. GET ALLOY!

Submitted by deliriou5 a Road Racer from Cherry Hill, NJ

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2003

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Quality control

Bottom Line:
I bought these rollers in June and have used them for approximately 200 miles. In general I was pretty happy with them. I discovered however that roller training is kinda difficult, as you can't really do anything like read or watch TV while you're riding. Don't worry about the smoothness compared to the Kreitlers... if it's too smooth, it doesn't feel like the road, and also doesn't provide as much of a resistance workout.

My main issue though is with the rollers themselves. Recently found out that my rear drum bearings have crapped out (there is this obnoxious wobbling noise), and also the frame is separating at the plastic hinge thingy. Pretty disappointed for the $200 price point.
I'm gonna talk to Performance and see what they have to say about this.

Favorite Ride:   Flat, fast, and scenic

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   2003 Specialized Allez Pro
Ultegra groupset
Cane Creek Aerohead Team Ti wheelset
Look PP396

Submitted by linuxboy a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2002

Strengths:    Very quiet, they fold flat, the connecting cord seems very durable, well constructed and low vibration.

Weaknesses:    Tires squeak when they hit a sweat spot or when riding race tires like Axial Pro's.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these rollers to train indoors during the winter and to have something to warm up with at races. I have to say they are very nice. They are not terribly expensive and do have a fair amount of resistance. As one reviewer already mentioned, the drums squeak when you sweat on them. They also squeak if you use a high end racing tire on them such as Axial Pro's. As with any roller, they need to be placed on level ground (i.e. not on a slight hill at races) and your tires should be pumped up to their propper pressure to limit bouncing. All in all, for the money, they are a great set of rollers.

Favorite Ride:   My house up to Killington

Purchased At:   Online from Performa

Similar Products Used:   Rear mount trainer, Krietler rollers.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Classic

Tale of Two Rollers: Minoura Advance vs. Travel Trac Technique Pro

I'm looking to buy a set of rollers to complement my 1upUSA trainer. Basically I want something to ride on when my wife is using the trainer. I figure I might as well try rollers for variety instead of buying another trainer. I have some member points in my account at Performance and they current ... Read More »

Travel Trac Technique Pro Rollers

Does anyone have a review of or experience with these these rollers? Thank you.Read More »

Travel Trac Technique Pro Rollers