Performance Inc. Technique Rollers

3.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Technique Rollers to fit bikes with wheelbases up to 43". Lathe-turned PVC drums, all-steel epoxy-coated frame folds for easy storage and transport, non-slip coating on side rails. Use them alone, or combine them with the optional HR-300R HydroForce fluid resistance unit.

Submitted by a k a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2007

Strengths:    Very quick to set up and use, simply unfold and ride. More fun and better more natural feeling warm up than trainers.

Weaknesses:    Noisy ridged drums.

Bottom Line:
My favorite for race warm ups. Since they are easy to hop on and off(no need to crank the bike into a trainer) Plus they fit most bikes w/o adjustment so they can be traded among teammates. I.e. no need to schelp four trainers for four people. Proabably won't last forever, but at this price its nice to not have to baby yet another piece of bike equipement. If I rode indoors I would invest in one with alloy. Not having resistence is fine my me, i would rather use my gears, but I know you can purchase a resistence unit from performance.

Favorite Ride:   La Sal Mtn Loop

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Cyclops fluid trainer, performance trainer, cyclops rollers (very nice!)

Bike Setup:   fuji, dura-ace, ksyriums.

Submitted by bicycle268 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2003

Strengths:    DURABILITY. STABILITY. SET IT AND........FORGET IT

Weaknesses:    not enough resistance. the grooved pvc can be a little noisy and lead to premature tire wear. price--for $130 more you could get a mean set of Kreitlers

Bottom Line:
These rollers have been my winter companion for 7 years now. The pvc drums are like new, with no warping or noise. the belt is on it's way out, but after 7 winters of daily use I'm not gonna complain. My sweat has completly eroded all paint from the frame but it's not like it's my car. Never a problem. never a worry.

Favorite Ride:   anything outside!! remember, I'm reviewing rollers!!

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   a mean set of Kreitlers

Bike Setup:   does it really matter?

Submitted by jcycle a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2003

Strengths:    Good set of starter rollers. Cheap. Great fun. They work. I was torn between giving them a 3 or 4 rating because they are cheap rollers and you get what you pay for so 4 would be realistic but comparing them to other rollers i guess a 3 for quality of ride.

Weaknesses:    Noisy, and vibrate quite a bit. Bad seems to shake and make noise too. Not a whole lot of resistance until you start turning the bigger gears. But at high speeds there was so much vibration being transferred to the floor that things where sliding off a nearby table (not kidding. I wouldn't get these if you live in an apt building. I have em on my wood floors and when i'm on em my house sounds like a swarm of locusts.

Bottom Line:
These are my 1st set of rollers. I hated stationary trainers (boring.) I bought them to learn how to use em and see if i like em before i dump big bucks on a set of Kreitlers. Price was right and they do the job. Next winter I will sell em and buy a set of kreitlers though.

Favorite Ride:   away from rednecks

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   stationary trainers. Friends kreitlers.

Bike Setup:   Lemond zurich pretty much stock. Lightspeed obed.

Submitted by KillerQuads a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2003

Strengths:    Folds easily, no resistance unit needed, good traction, good return policy

Weaknesses:    Poor quality control (check for out of round drums), heavier than aluminum, PVC material is a little soft, no level adjustment on feet for uneven floors, static electricity.

Bottom Line:
I started riding again and have ridden 3,500 miles on the road from mid summer 'til now (winter). I use rollers to maintain my fitness (15 miles a day). My old Minoura rollers wore out so I bought this set of Performance rollers on sale. The Minoura's aluminum drums have plastic end caps. Eventually the end caps loosen and the rollers become very noisy.

The Performance rollers are PVC so they should not dent like aluminum and they look like they are one piece, so I hope there are no ends caps to loosen. The PVC material is soft, so it can be nicked by pedals or cleats. The surface is not smooth like aluminum rollers; instead, there are are circumfrential fine grooves. This helps lateral traction and prevents slipping and tire squeaking. However, this may mean faster tire wear. Also, I noticed that the tires and PVC drums generate static electricity, so I get little jolts when I touch a support while riding and the drums are dust magnets.

The drive belt is thick and strong and can be mounted either right or left since there are belt grooves on both ends of each drum. It seems to be under higher tension than other rollers I have owned. This tension and the heaviness of the PVC rollers creates more resistance, so a resistance unit is not needed.

I brought home the Performance rollers to find that the box had been previously opened (unstapled and retaped). That made me upset that I bought used restocked merchandise. When I tried them out, there was a loud rumble that would not go away (I tried moving the belt to the other side to no avail).

I went back to Performance (140 miles round trip) and exchanged the first set for a new, unopened set of rollers. The second set had an out of round front roller that wobbled and made the front of the bike shake. I swapped it with the rear roller, so I could steer better, but now the rear of the bike vibrates. This will probably make the rear drum bearings fail eventually. I dread driving another 140 miles to exchange this set for a third set that might be just as bad or worse.

I emailed Performance and hope to get a single replacement drum (awaiting their response). Until I get this set working, I cannot recommend these rollers.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Minoura

Submitted by Mike Harris a Recreational Rider from TX

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2000

Strengths:    Affordable and seem to hold up, although I don't use them that much

Weaknesses:    The feet could be wider as you can't setup on carpet without support, but I think this is the case with most rollers.

Bottom Line:
Better to ride outside, but if you have to ride inside these are good as they force you to concentrate and actually do help your balance and spin.

Favorite Ride:   From my house to Fulsher