CycleOps Jet Fluid Pro Trainers

For those riders that take their training regiment seriously, the Jetfluid Pro provides the perfect tool to shave crucial seconds off of your time. Road like performance, pure and simple. PowerTuned technology provides smooth, realisti...

Submitted by Bob Darling a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
Best bike I've ever owned. Responsive and comfortable.

Favorite Ride:   Specialized Roubaix Expert

Purchased At:   Spin Cycle

Submitted by fuzzmartin a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2010

Strengths:    -Great resistance throughout the gears.
-Relatively quiet.
-Smooth.
-Easy setup.
-Price is relatively affordable.
-Lifetime warranty.

Weaknesses:    -Leans slightly to the side with the adjuster even at the adjuster's highest setting.
-Not "silent" as claimed

Bottom Line:
I have used a wind-resistance trainer, before. They inexpensive, but that's about all they have going for them. They're noisy and the resistance curve is almost non-existent. My LBS suggested a fluid trainer. So, per usual, I did a little research online, liked what I saw, and went back to my LBS to pick it up.

The Jet Fluid Pro was my first experience with a fluid-impeller trainer. The setup was easy: Open the box. Extend the legs. Place your rear skewer in the obvious location. Lift the roller to the tire and lock the handle. Done. Cycle-Ops includes a sturdy skewer so that you don't scuff up or break your on-the-road skewer.

If you have never used a fluid trainer before, they work by increasing resistance automatically as your rear wheel spins faster. The Jet Fluid Pro does a great job of mimicking the feel of actually being on the road. Of course, you can coast down hills on the road. With a trainer, it's "game on" for the entire ride.

At first, I was surprised by how loud the trainer sounded. There are a lot of reviews and press releases calling it "quiet," and it is compared to wind trainers, but it is not "silent" as some make it out to be. I had a used racing tire downstairs, and after I swapped my training tire for a slick, the sound dropped a few dBs. I can watch TV at about 1/3 volume and still hear myself think. With a wind trainer, you're better off wearing headphones to drown out the whine.

You will definitely need the riser - which is basically an expensive piece of plastic. I suggest pricing out the risers from different brands (Kurt Kinetic, Minoura, Giant, etc.) as I later found some more affordable ones that accomplish the same feat (raising your front tire an inch or two off the ground).

My only real complaint is that even with the adjustable leg fully extended, the trainer leans ever so slightly to that side. It is not a ton, but it's enough that you'll notice it a bit. Perhaps it is just my specific trainer. Other than that, it's a great unit...and if it breaks or leaks, CycleOps has a lifetime warranty.