CycleOps Mag Trainers

3.56/5 (9 Reviews)

The Mag trainer uses MAGNETIC FIELDS to generate a wide range of adjustable resistance. Flip the lever to control resistance by moving the magnets in relation to the flywheel. The Mag trainer's unique design incorporates an internalized flywheel for an unbeatable smooth and quiet ride.

Submitted by kmunny19 a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2009

Strengths:    price for overall qualities/value
stability
ease of use
kicks my butt when asked (pretty often)

Weaknesses:    not quiet

may potentially have upper limit of resistance, for the extremely highly trained rider

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a good overall value in a trainer, and feel I found exactly that. I use it fairly aggressively, for interval and steady ride training, and cannot outrun the mag. its very stable, easy to use, and of apparently solid overall build. I'm able to easily use the bike to adjust the resistance while riding with the trainer set in its highest resistance. From the feel of it, I can't imagine I'll need more resistance from the trainer itself. Its not quiet, but I can easily hear any dialogue in the movies or traning DVD's I watch, without annoying others in the house. Maybe it would be a bit too loud if I was in an apartment building, but maybe not. I also really like the Real Rides DVD that came with it. So much so, that I bought the other Real Rides (Power) and would buy more if they made them.

Favorite Ride:   Point Moon Run

Similar Products Used:   none, possibly clouding my judgement

Bike Setup:   09 Fuji Roubaix PRO - stock thus far

Submitted by Michael Rommel a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2008

Strengths:    Gives a nice strong workout.Much quieter than others I've had.

Weaknesses:    None to speak of.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for an above average trainer and talked to many people and researched the internet.I chose this one because of the loyal customers and good reports.I was not disapointed.This is a very good Mag Trainer.It's strong and quiet.

Favorite Ride:   specialized

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Gym products.

Bike Setup:   Specialized hybrid.

Submitted by cmauri76 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2008

Strengths:    Fair price, Cycle Ops stands behind their product

Weaknesses:    Loud at high RPM, Quality - fair/low

Bottom Line:
Overall product accomplishes what it was designed for. I have been training on the off season with it and have been able to bring my performance up to a new level. The drawback of this unit is the quality. The bolt stripped after 2 months of use. The upside was that customer service was very friendly, didn't ask any questions and sent out a replacement bolt and nut within a week. The unit is a bit loud at high RPM. But for the money paid, I think it is a good buy.

Favorite Ride:   Mt.Hamilton

Similar Products Used:   only trainer used

Bike Setup:   I use my touring bike on the trainer, an 04 Bianchi Vigorelli.

Submitted by Fotocellar a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2008

Strengths:    Control difficulty through bike.

Weaknesses:    A little noisy.

Bottom Line:
Price is a little high at $219. I bought this trainer so I can keep riding when it's raining or it's extremely cold. I had it for over two weeks now (right in time for the winter), and it gives me good work out in my garage. It can be a little nosy but I have no problem listening to my walkman while riding on it.

Make sure you don't tie up the mag unit too much since it will kill your inner tube. A little bit loose will not decrease the resistance since the difficulty levels are controlled by your bike gears.

I will give it a 4 for over all value for it gives me adequate work out in-door.

Favorite Ride:   Stone Mountain

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   cannondale synapse 6

Submitted by jwilliams a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2006

Strengths:    Sets up quickly and provides adequate resistance for all but the hardest sprints.

Weaknesses:    Gets pretty loud during interval sessions.

Bottom Line:
This is for the updated Mag unit that CycleOps states has increased resistance. Smooth and quiet at lower speeds. Develops some noise above 22 mph during workouts. Overall, it does what I need it to do which is allow me to work on spinning and establish my foundation for the coming season. Sprint work is for outside.

Favorite Ride:   on the road

Purchased At:   Foothills Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Performance Peakload mag trainers, racermate wind trainer (after 20 years, it still works)

Bike Setup:   Trainer bike is Rossin with old Campy Chorus, Cateye computer with cadence and hr monitor.

High Capacity Mag Ban: CT Rep doesn't understand how magazines work

[url=http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/2013/04/03/as-lead-sponsor-in-house-on-gun-legislation-rep-diana-degette-appears-to-not-understand-how-they-work/93506/]Rep. Diana DeGette appears not to understand how guns work[/url] [quote]Democratic Rep. Diana DeGette has been the lead sponsor on a fed ... Read More »

tacx satori t1830 v elite volare mag alu trainer

tacx satori t1830 v elite volare mag alu trainer been checking out buying my first trainer and was looking for the pro's and con's of the above trainers.are any of you guys out there using these.they are both getting good reviews but i would like some from real riders as i sometimes think that th ... Read More »

Peloton mag - Free digital subscription

free subscription to the digital version [url=http://www.pelotonmagazine-digital.com/pelotonmagazine/?u1=PAL12]Peloton[/url]Read More »

Is mag trainer ok for comfort bikes?

My mom has a [URL="http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/expedition/expeditionlowentry"]Specialized Expedition Low Entry bike.[/URL] She would like to be able to ride it on a trainer while watching tv. I'm not sure whether a mag trainer is fine or whether she should spend more for a fluid ... Read More »

Peloton Mag Dogma 65.1 Test ride

Here's Peloton magazine testing out the Dogma 65.1 Think 2. [url]http://www.pelotonmagazine.com/Tested-Bikes/video/8/1846/Mr-HCervelo-S5-and-Pinarello-Dogma[/url]Read More »