CycleOps Magneto Trainers

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

The Cycleops Magneto is a progressive resistance. With progressive resistance the resistance level automatically increases or decreases depending on the speed. Training video included.

Submitted by mitchell a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2010

Strengths:    good workout
good price
looks good
easy to set up

Weaknesses:    a little noisy

Bottom Line:
I needed something so i could train through the long winters that i could afford. this trainer was easy set up and delivers a great workout. it is noisy when you get going faster but besides that its great. it is definitely not a fluid trainer though.

Favorite Ride:   along the coast

Purchased At:   lunenburg bike barn

Similar Products Used:   taxt wind trainer

Submitted by DrGavS a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2008

Strengths:    Solid unit, easy assembly

Weaknesses:    Noisy
Difficult to manage tension
Lacks easy release lever

Bottom Line:
I bought this trainer because I need the remote adjustability that fluid trainers do not offer, for doing DVDs such as Spinervals.

Easy to put together and solidly constructed. But that's about where I stopped liking it.

It is being compared to a Tacx trainer that I have at home in Australia. So compared to that:-
1. Tension adjustments are difficult to manage/keep constant. Magnetic dial at the base, adjustment in the middle of the cable, and then the lever.
2. It lacks the easy clip in and out lever at the magnet, so each time I loaded up the bike, it was at a slightly different tension.
3. It shredded a tyre every 2 months.
4. It sounds like a jumbo jet taking off when used at > 20mph, and I have not found a way to lessen this (and it seems to be a common problem noted at this site). It's not very friendly to use this early morning or late at night if you live in a unit.

I am replacing this unit and writing off the cost as a rash decision to restart my training as soon as I arrived. You will probably see it on Ebay soon.

It is probably best suited to someone that can leave a spare bike fitted up on the trainer somewhere that it will not annoy the neighbours or rest of the family, say a garage or a spare room?

Another piece of advice - the Climbing Block is not very friendly to your fatherhood insurance if used whilst down on your Aero Bars :(

Favorite Ride:   Galston and Berowra Gorge Loop

Purchased At:   Bike Shop in Seattle

Similar Products Used:   Tacx Sirius, Speedmaster

Bike Setup:   Giant Trinity, Ultegra gearing, Zipp 303 wheels, Maxxis Courchevel Tyres

Submitted by SuperB a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2004

Strengths:    sturdy unit, relatively quiet, easy setup

Weaknesses:    Pedalling seems to get easier once you reach a certain rpm.

Bottom Line:
I chose this trainer based upon some good reviews and price. I am not a racer and just wanted to be able to hook my bike to a trainer for indoor riding at night, on rainy days, etc. I am pleased with this product. The unit is sturdy and is pretty easy to set up. I got a very good deal on this trainer, but since have found the Cycleops Fluid for only a bit more.

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Felt F80

Submitted by David a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2004

Strengths:    Solid build. Easy/fast set-up. Quiet.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Wanted to upgrade from old Slocum wind trainer, and looked at Fluid2, Kurt Kinetic, and Mag+. Liked progressive of fluids, but not the cost. Mag+ had herky jerky stroke. Read reviews about Magneto and seemed to be best value/performance of progressive/quiet trainers. Cbikes had amazing price.

Favorite Ride:   Flat roads through corn fields

Purchased At:   Cbikes.com

Bike Setup:   2004 Lemond Buenos Aires.

CyclOps Magneto trainer

any experience with the magneto? I like the idea of progressive resistance, and it seem like a decent price, and I know the its a fairly well liked brand according to prior threads here.Read More »

Cycleops Fluid 2 or Magneto trainer

So I want to get a trainer to ride maybe 1 time a week for a recovery type ride and also for those rainy days to keep my training steady I live in Florida so I am able to ride in winter so I don't imagine getting a bunch of use, but I want a decent piece of equipment so I don't hesitate getting on t ... Read More »

CycleOps Magneto question.....

Just bought and put together a CO Magneto, and can hear the flywheel scraping the magnet with each revolution... makes quite a bit of noise when I get it up to speed, and I can't imagine listenening to it for a few minutes let alone an hour or more. Is this normal? Is the flywheel supposed to brus ... Read More »

Cycle Ops Magneto Trainer and Skewer Question

Got a used Cycle Ops but it didn't come w/ an included skewer. The instructions (downloaded) indicated that a special skewer is needed to fit the cones. 1) Is that correct, do I need a special skewer for the rear? 2) If so, anyone know where to get that? 3) I also have an SS roadie w/ a bo ... Read More »