Elite Parabolic Rollers Trainers

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

Sleek, minimalist and compact design - this is the primo roller. Three thermoplastic drums mounted into an adjustable frame allow all sizes of bike to be used The rider can move freely and therefore requires constant balance - giving a more realistic ride feel indoors, whatever the weather The parabolic shape helps the cycle stays in the centre of the rollers for safer use Sealed bearings guarantee a smooth, efficient pedalling action Simple to fold away and transport

Submitted by Eric Heiden a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2012

Strengths:    Easy set up! The cylinders have a rough surface for better traction. THe parabalic design keeps you in-between better than tradition rollers. These rollers are weighted compared to older sets of aluminum rollers, thus giving you a better real road feel. Clean looking.

Weaknesses:    For riders who have never ridden rollers before, the experience is a scarey one! These take practice, about an hour of total attempts. Initial benefits from using these are weak, but improve 10-fold with in a month's time.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these rollers to use them for my DIY version of Motion-type base rollers. I am not going to now, due to the incredible ride that these offer. If you are used to riding aluminum type rollers, the feel of these Elite Parabolic's will greatly impress you! Those who have given a poor evaluation seem not to understand the learning curve of these invaluable training devices. The fact that one is all over the place on the rollers is the main reason they need to keep attempting to become more efficient. These improve your efficiency as a rider. The more quiet your upper body and smoother your stroke, the straighter you will be on the rollers. On the road, you will ride smoother and straighter and overall faster! These are meant for efficiency mainly, the use for as a training alternative (getting out of the rain) is just a great idea. Give these rollers a chance, because any other "tradition" set of rollers will be even harder! (E-Motion Rollers are hands down the easiest to use)

Favorite Ride:   Alpine Dam (Marin Co., Ca.) and Larch Mountain (Multlnomah Co, Oregon)

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Oddessy

Similar Products Used:   Emotion Roller, Performance Rollers and Inside Motion Rollers

Bike Setup:   Davidison (custom frame) Dura-ACE (original STi and 1st generation brake-lever gear changing), Campy Aero Rims, whole bike is 22 yrs old and still riding hard!

Submitted by colnagorapid a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth quiet and easy to store, parabolic edges make riding off impossible (Though you may tip over or fly off if you rock your bike forward or backward too much). Fairly inexpensive for nice looking italian rollers

Weaknesses:    Doesn't rock back and forth like the e-motion (Which must be incredible, but out of my budget) but you get what you pay for

Bottom Line:
Wanted something dynamic to train indoors, trainers that provided exciting training were expensive so I decided to try out the Elite Rollers. After about an hour I got the hang of it having never been on rollers before, and I love them! Fun, exciting and a great workout.

Favorite Ride:   F1 Track in Montreal

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   Colnago Rapid, full Mirage and Ambrosio wheels (Stock)

Submitted by feedthewave a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2007

Strengths:    Sleek apartment friendly design, folds up to tuck away. Easy to adjust to any length, nothing to figure out except how to maintain your balance, find your center and reach deep. Very sturdy, well made, stable.

Weaknesses:    None that I've noticed in daily use.

Bottom Line:
Ninja! The Elite is smooth and demanding, an intellectual and physical challenge that has zero intention of letting you ignore where you are and what you are doing. Dynamic, responsive and highly interactive training, not for dreamers. I've never used rollers before and I had it together in under an hour, from there plenty of variations on the ride, so don't be intimidated, just be present!

Favorite Ride:   Marin Fairfax

Purchased At:   Arcadia, Lenox MA

Similar Products Used:   Magnetic and wind resistance.

Bike Setup:   Marin

Submitted by newbie27 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2007

Strengths:    Ease of set up, and no adjustments needed to your bike, just put it on the rollers and ride away although there are other major downsides.

Weaknesses:    1st, the rollers are about 4 inches high, so you are not likely to be able to straddle your bike. In fact even getting on is not easy. 2nd, you need to concentrate like hell to maintain your balance. 3rd, it's super sensitive to the slightest movements of your hands on the handlebars, so I can't manage to shift my hands from one position to the drops for example without losing my balance. I can forget about riding hands off, or adjusting my iPod etc. 4th, although the rollers are shaped in a way to help you stay on them, the higher outer edges of the rollers actually cause me to lose my balance easily as the wheels wobble near them.

Bottom Line:
I have just bought them and used it on 2 occasions and I must say that either I am a real bad rider or these rollers are not as easy as people say they are. On the first day I fell down about 6 times, sometimes I even rode off it and once I fell off badly and cut my ankle on the frame. On the 2nd time, it was much better but one needs so much concentration its not fun any more. In the end I could cycle for about 5 mins at the most without losing my balance - but at least I did not fall down although I did still ride off the rollers once. I am still determined to keep hammering away but I have to say I wish someone told me about these downsides before I bought them. I am now thinking of giving them another few attempts and if it still doesn't work out I might try talking to my Elite dealer if I can return it and upgrade to another type of trainer by paying the difference. By the way, I am following the manaufacturer's advice to start riding by placing the rollers between doorways to act as a support, I would have fallen down on more occasions otherwise!

Favorite Ride:   foothills of freising

Purchased At:   Elite dealer in Germ

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   Scott CR1, ultegra

Submitted by NFields a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2005

Strengths:    Sealed bearings, ease of transport and set-up. Heavy, solid frame work.

Weaknesses:    none apparent

Bottom Line:
Excellent product and speedy delivery by LBS.

Favorite Ride:   Foothills PKY