Kurt Kinetic Road Machine Fluid Trainers

4.47/5 (30 Reviews)

• Store Price

The Road Machine from Kinetic is a fluid trainer featuring a sealed fluid chamber containing silicone resistance fluid that is guaranteed not to leak.  It offers consistant resistance no matter what the external temperature is, and wit...

Submitted by Tim a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth resistance, and plenty of it for larger riders. Kurt has a power chart which tells you the power generated at the speed you are going. When used indoor with the Kurt bike computer the display tells your wattage in addition to speed, You can do without the Kurt computer and just reference the chart, but it is a nice motivator to see power output.

Weaknesses:    BUT- a few years later I am bringing it back to dealer for 2nd warranty replacement of resistance unit. First one failed after about 1.5 years(provided intermittent level of power- I thought I was getting awfully strong, but when I was registering 500+ watts for an hour without breathing hard, I realized it was not working right.). About 1.5 years later the same thing has happened.

Bottom Line:
really liked this the first year I had it.
for indoor training Kurt has a power chart which tells you the power generated at the speed you are going. When used indoor with the Kurt bike computer the display tells your wattage in addition to speed, You can do without the Kurt computer and just reference the chart, but it is a nice motivator to see power output.
But 2 units failing has turned me off. I still have a Minoura mag trainer from late 80's that works.

While I am a larger rider (200 lbs.), and not real weak; I am 62 and am not putting out unusual power for a semi-competitive rider my size.
Maybe ok for small riders who do not put out as many watts as clydesdales.

Similar Products Used:   2 different minouras, and rollers

Bike Setup:   Madone 6 series

Submitted by icepilot00 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2011

Strengths:    durable, tubing is well made-heavy duty. fan is quite, doesn't seem to wear rubber down as much as what others do.

Weaknesses:    no complaints or weaknesses that I have noticed so far

Bottom Line:
Got this trainer for Christmas. I did alot of research and was torn between this one or the Cycleops fluid. My wife made my decision for me and bought this one at the local Performanc Bicycle shop. I am getting back into the sport, and with the horrible Washington winters, knew I would need an indoor trainer cause I am not into riding outside in rain and cold.
This trainer is solid. Made out of oversize tubing, nice and rugid. Fan is big and smooth. So I put my bike (Trek 2.1) onto the trainer-easy and quick. Started riding and it's SUPER quiet. I can easily hear the tv or my ipod without turning up the volume super loud. The bike rolls smooth on it, feels just like riding on the road. I have used it quit a bit just in a month amount of time. The back end stays centered on the roller, and my rear tire is not showing that much wear at all. It shows a little wear, but not so bad to where rubber is flinging off all over the place.
It is a little pricey, but I don't plan and didn't plan on buying another one anytime soon.It has a lifetime warranty also, so that also sold me.
It does come with a spinervals video, which was a pretty good video. Also came with a different skewer (common, plain type) and comes with a different cup for the rear axle mount (i used this one for my bike just due to the quick releases working better on this cup).
Overall, very happy with this trainer and recommend to all!!

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   cycleops fluid

Bike Setup:   2010 Trek 2.1

Submitted by Runr44 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2011

Strengths:    Quiet, solid feel, smooth, realistic in terms of gearing.

Weaknesses:    It would be nice if the legs had some height adjustments, but it always seems to level out wherever I put it.

Bottom Line:
I've had several trainers since the 80's. This trainer feels solid, is pretty easy to mount and give a very smooth feel. Nothing is exactly like being on the road, but this comes close. There is a nice responsiveness with no lag and it really does seem to match my gearing on the road. It is quiet enough for me to watch TV or use my iPod with the volume at reasonable levels. The weight and finish are substantive, which give it a feel like it will last a long time. I've had it for a while and have been riding it a lot the last couple of months because of snow. I actually look forward to riding it in the morning - not something I ever felt with a trainer before! I rate it a 5 because it is as good or better than anything on the market even though it isn't perfect.

Favorite Ride:   hills

Purchased At:   1upusa

Similar Products Used:   1UpUSA (about as good), CycleOps, Blackburn, Performance and others

Bike Setup:   Pinarello FP3

Submitted by krishna a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2011

Strengths:    Everything everyone else has already said.

Weaknesses:    Heavy - if you like to spin before races you're going to need a separate trainer. I've heard it is noisier than other fluid trainers -- it certainly is no less noisy than my $100 mag trainer. Neither of these were too important for me but may be for others.

Bottom Line:
I've had the trainer for 6 months now - can't believe I'd lived this long without it! Resistance is very smooth. Somewhat noisy but less so than my previous on (cheap mag trainer). My tires squeal a bit -- a quick web search shows others have eliminated this by buying special trainer tires. I don't mind enough to spend the extra $40 or so, however.

Used a simple mag trainer for the last 10 yrs or so. If you are not racing there is no reason to purchase this product -- unless, of course, money is no object. The big difference between the two is the KK allows for smooth increase in resistance which feels very realistic. Again, if you are not racing, you can get a very good workout with a cheaper trainer -- resistance IMHO -- is only important for training to race. And even then, only if you live in a climate where you cannot get outside during winter.

The unit is somewhat noisy. I tend to ride when rest of house is sleeping (5am). Wife says it sounds, from downstairs, like a washing machine. That's with a carpet and soundproof mat inbetween. Luckily she also says its like whitenoise to her and rather comforting :-)

Submitted by TFR a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2010

Strengths:    quiet, loads of resistance as speed increases. starts at very low resistance level- so good for anyone. Wattage output is helping motivate me- altho use of MPH is for all practical purposes the same.

Weaknesses:    power computer seems to jump around a bit- unrelated to output. Will pump value rating to a 5 for the trainer. Power computer would get less due to fluctuations

Bottom Line:
very smooth with lots of resistance. Quiet too. Lifetime warranty a plus for me. Also got the Kurt wired Power Computer. The computer is set to show watts (speedo calibrated against some type of power meter). Not sure if watts accurate, but gives me something new to look at, and so far has been a big motivator (tried to keep up with the clydsdale on a Spinervals training DVD). Will be checking wattage output against a tune powertap and will report on wattage accuracy.

Favorite Ride:   any fast group ride. or any slow and scenic ride

Purchased At:   Toms Pro Bike

Bike Setup:   Lemond Zurich or FORT- both with ultegra

Kurt Kinetic Road Machine Fluid @ REI for $279 11/16-11/26

Just got an email for the REI winter flyer, saw that the KK Fluid is on sale for $279, which is convenient because i've been thinking about getting one. [url]http://catalogs.rei.com/WebProject.asp?CodeId=7.7.3.5&stop_mobi=yes&cm_mmc=Email_com_gm-_-WinterSalePreview-_-111412-_-btn_wintersale#[/ur ... Read More »

KK road machine or Cycleops Fluid 2 for my scenario?

I've read countless reviews/threads and it appears the KK road machine provides a slightly more stable and realistic feel than the Fluid 2. However, it appears the quick release available on the Fluid 2 allows for easier mount/dismount of the bike. My bike's not going to be sitting in the trainer ev ... Read More »

Blackburn Trakstand Fluid vs Kurt Kinetic Road Machine

In y'all's experiences or in the reviews you have read, what has come out on top, the new Blackburn Trakstand Fluid trainer or the Kurt Kinetic Road machine? Thanks!Read More »

Blackburn Trakstand Fluid VS Kurt Kinetic Road Machine