Minoura Mag 500D Trainers

Submitted by Curtis a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap price, good quality, sturdy.
Good variable resistance. Gives a hard workout.
I recommend it.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes makes a weird clunky noise in the unit when pedaling really fast. also i would sometimes smell burning rubber or plastic, but I'm pretty sure that was my tire.
You can't change the unit's resistance while riding unless you can reach back there while pedaling (I can't, can you?).

Bottom Line:
I bought it brand new off ebay from agees.com for $97 including shipping. It came with an extra spindle for the rear hub. I've ridden it about every other day at a fast pace for about an hour at a time. with the adjustable resistance in the unit and the the different gears on the bike, this thing was able to give me a pretty variable workout. I haven't had any problems with it at all, but it is sort of a pain to get the bike rigged up in the trainer by yourself.

Bike Setup:   Centurion Le mans from early 80s

Submitted by gjcamann a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2004

Strengths:    Cheep, Not too noisy, stable, alot warmer than riding in +2 Degrees weather :-)

Weaknesses:    A little noisy.

Bottom Line:
My first trainer. This is $30 cheaper than the 850, the fly wheel is a little lighter, but other than that I can't tell much difference. It's a little noisy, but I can live with it for the price. Holds the bike nice and stable, even includes an extra skewer in case yours isn't compatible. I can't wait to goto spin class now!

Purchased At:   Mystic Cycle