Performance Fluid Trainers

4.06/5 (17 Reviews)

Performance Fluid Trainer

Submitted by walbrenham a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2011

Strengths:    Not many.

Weaknesses:    Cheap plastic sleeves where it absolutely needs to be metal.

Bottom Line:
While tigthening the rear axle support, the screw in device will not tighten suffeciently to support the bicycle. While riding the exerciser, it will loosen (even after locking the device, and giving it an additional 1/4 to 3/4 turns) the Plastic sleeve has a totally insuffecient ring that breaks after a few hours riding and then you cannot tighten it properly again.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Fist trainer.

Submitted by ahan92 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2008

Strengths:    Well-built
Smooth and Quiet
Great value for the money

Weaknesses:    Not enough resistance when I am in good shape and on my 53-12

Bottom Line:
This review is the the Travel Trac Century V Fluid trainer. I have used this trainer in the winter for the past year, 3-4 days per week. It has worked flawlessly and managed to whip me into shape when combined with training videos or podcasts from CTS and Spinervals. My only complaint is that when I am in good form, it doesn't provide enough resistance to do climbing intervals at low cadence (below 75 rpm).

Favorite Ride:   Old La Honda - Pescadero - Alpine - Page Mill

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Cycleops Mag Trainer

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Tuscany
Dura-Ace 9 sp
Velomax (Easton) Circuit Wheels

Submitted by rpboxster a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2008

Strengths:    Quiet, smooth, realistic. Great value (esp on closeout/sale). Good build quality.

Weaknesses:    None so far, but it's only been a month.

Bottom Line:
Travel Trac Millenium V Fluid+Mag with adjustable resistance (red one).
New to biking and to trainers. Just acquired a Fuji Cross Comp (love it). Tried many trainers in store. Intended on the CycleOps Fluid2, but liked this one much better. Closeout price brought it to $180, less $70 on my Performance card (from the bike) and it was a steal.
Setup is easy, the unit is quiet, and I really like the 'real feel' of the trainer. Lots of resistance options with the cable that allows 5 different levels. The unit seems very well built, doesn't get too hot after 45min of use. The bolt-in arms pivot at the front, so the weight of the bike rests against the fixed roller at the back. This seems like a better design than fixing the wheel and bringing the roller into contact. Folds down for storage.

Favorite Ride:   streets and trails close to home

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   None. Only tested others.

Bike Setup:   2008 Fuji Cross Comp stock everything.

Submitted by dwcassidy a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2006

Strengths:    Affortable. Sturdy. The adjustable tension. Easy set-up. The feel of an actual ride.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little noisy in a small apartment, but I'm sure all trainers are a bit loud.

Bottom Line:
This is the first trainer I've used. I needed something to ride in the evenings so I can stay in moderate shape and feel like I'm getting some exercise during the week, not just on the weekends.

I did a lot of reserach before buying from a local Performance shop and I'm really happy with my purchase so far. It feels like I'm really riding on the road; it's smooth, and sturdy. Between the 5 adjustable settings and utilizing all of my gears, I get a great workout.

I'm 6'3", 190, and I feel comfortable out of the saddle and jamming on the pedals. I usually spend about 30 - 60 minutes on it 2-3 times a week and it's a great workout.

Favorite Ride:   Tiburon Loop

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   2001 Specialized Allez Sport with Mavic wheels and 105 components.

Submitted by tapeng a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2005

Strengths:    quite, smooth, adjustable resistence, price

Weaknesses:    "Travel Trac Century fluid plus adjustable trainer" name sucks.

Bottom Line:
I just received my performance Travel Trac Century fluid plus trainer yesterday. Out of box the trainer doesn't look stunning as 1Up CPR I had but a solid one. Setup is pretty easy. The rear wheel clamping cups has plastic insert to protect the frame or skewer if they made contact. It also come with a skewer. The resistence adjustable handle has 5 levels and can be easily mounted to handle bar. It took me 10 minute to put it together with bike on it. Here come to the best part. I can adjust the resistence to allow out of saddle excercise and still have room to go harder. While out of saddle the frame is stable enoug unless I make too much lateral movement. The resistence unit operate very quite and resistence is smooth. Hard crank does not cause any slip and has good road feel.

If compare to 1UpUSA, 1UpUSA CPR is a World class looking trainer and the performance is a similar trainer without the look. With performance I easily sweat 3 or 4 time more than the 1Up.

Bike on trainer has tripple crank (52/42/30) and I am able to use 52/12,13,14 to do out of saddle crank with highest resistence.

I was attracted first to its adjustable resistence which does not disappointment me at all. Then I realize even seated with easiest level it produce consistent smooth operation and good road feel. Consider price paid and lifetime warranty from performance I can't be happier.
I will post my review for 1Up trainer in next few day.

Favorite Ride:   Old La Honda Bay area

Purchased At:   performancebike

Similar Products Used:   1UpUSA CPR trainer.

Bike Setup:   Supergo Scantantte CFR double

Graber Fluid Trainer

[COLOR=#333333][INDENT]Sport.woot.com has a Graber Pro Series Fluid Trainer for $150. Don't see much online on this. Appears to be related to CycleOps, and Dick's Sporting Goods sells for $250. Otherwise I am in the dark on this model. Any experience, or comments on this trainer for the price? Been ... Read More »

Woot today- Graber Fluid Trainer

Sport.woot.com has a Graber Pro Series Fluid Trainer for $150. Don't see much online on this. Appears to be related to CycleOps, and Dick's Sporting Goods sells for $250. Otherwise I am in the dark on this model. Any experience, or comments on this trainer for the price? Been thinking of getting a f ... Read More »

Looking for a good fluid replacement drink, powder, tab, etc

As I get better riding, my rides get longer, I'm quickly finding out that water isn't cutting it. What is a good fluid replacement that I can get into my bottles? I used to use Motor Tabs back in the day, but can't find them anywhere. What is everyone else using? Thanks in advance. BrandonRead More »

CycleOps fluid trainer - all my fluid disappeared.

Hadn't used it in a few years and this week I found it had no resistance. I put some Castrol Syntrax limited slip 75W-90 synthetic gear oil in it ($5 worth or half a bottle) and it seems to be restored to original functionality.Read More »

Kurt Kinetic Road Machine Fluid @ REI for $279 11/16-11/26

Just got an email for the REI winter flyer, saw that the KK Fluid is on sale for $279, which is convenient because i've been thinking about getting one. [url]http://catalogs.rei.com/WebProject.asp?CodeId=7.7.3.5&stop_mobi=yes&cm_mmc=Email_com_gm-_-WinterSalePreview-_-111412-_-btn_wintersale#[/ur ... Read More »