Tacx Flow Trainers

3.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The Flow T-1680 ergotrainer measures your heart rate, power, speed and cadence and displays it on the sleek, handlebar mounted computer's display to create and maintain a focused and efficient workout where you're always training at top performance.

Submitted by Kate

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2012

Strengths:    Quiet.

Weaknesses:    Inaccurate cadence, HR and power readings.

Bottom Line:
This is a nice looking trainer, but it fails to deliver. I am having constant problems with cadence (zero readings), heart rate readings (always in the 220+ zone, so clearly wrong. Hence I have to wear a separate HRM if I want to follow these readings) and very long lag in resistance when wattage is changed (it takes about 5 minutes or more for the resistance to kick in when the setting is changed). It feels VERY unstable when trying to do training sessions out of the saddle. The brake is next to impossible to calibrate and kicks in randomly during training sessions without any provocation.

I would recommend buying something else. Even my old style trainer with the cable-connected handlebar adjustment for resistance operates better than this trainer, for about a third of the price.

Submitted by GerryR a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2010

Strengths:    Stability, versatility and upgradeability.

Weaknesses:    Computer display is very limited. I would like to see HR, cadence and watts only two lines of the display can be changed. I use my Garmin for HR and the trainer computer for cadence and watts.

Bottom Line:
I bought this because I'm recovering from an Achilles tendon rupture and felt very uneasy about using my rollers this winter. I did a fair amount of research and decided on the Tacx and I'm happy I did. It seems very solidly built and stable. Being able to upgrade to Fortius capabilities is also a plus, although I may never do it. I also like that it comes standard with the front wheel lift instead of needing to order that part separately.

Favorite Ride:   Beartooth Pass

Purchased At:   Lickbike.com

Similar Products Used:   My rollers don't really count.

Bike Setup:   2008 Scott CR1 Team

Submitted by ryancampbell a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2009

Strengths:    Watts, HR, Cadence, variable resistance, quiet, tough.

Weaknesses:    Can really only simulate between 0 and 5 degree hills realistically. It can go lower or higher, but the road feel is wrong.

Bottom Line:
Just thought I'd say a few words since there weren't any reviews. I've used this trainer for 4 years and it's held up admirably. It reads out power and HR, calibrates power pretty well, has variable resistance, and has a decent road feel.

Favorite Ride:   Tapia

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   CycleOps fluid, fluid+ (blew up 3 before the most recent incarnation)

Bike Setup:   I usually use my cheapo Alu TT bike on the trainer.