Tacx Satori Trainers

Warm-up trainer for Pro Tour teams

Submitted by shellshock a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2008

Strengths:    Sturdiness
Easy to remove bike from trainer

Weaknesses:    badly made resistance adjuster

Bottom Line:
Good trainer overall. Very sturdy, if a little heavy. But it feels planted when your on the bike. Only gripe is the resistance lever. Very hard to attach it without it moving when you want to change resistance. Unbelievably powerful, though. It comes with special skewers to make the bike fit the trainer better, great idea.

Favorite Ride:   Howth Hill, sunny day

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Carbon Reparto XL
Campag Chorus & Record mix
Ksyrium Elites with Hutchinson Tyres
ITM millenium carbon headset & handlebars
Fizik Arione
Look Keo Carbon

Submitted by David James Yates a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2008

Strengths:    User selectable resistance with settings from 1 - 10 is brilliant for doing workouts that target both cadence and HR. Well built, very sturdy, high quality and quiet. Other trainers go on about large flywheels and road feel, but you know your on a trainer and not the road anyway. To me the stuff about road feel is rubbish, what I want to be able to do is train both cadence and HR on either a MTB or Road bike. I do this using Spinervals and Carmichael DVD's. The ability to set the resistance level is the key to doing targeted training like this. On a training without this feature I'd only have the gears on the bike to set resistance, which on a MTB probably wouldn't offer me the level of resistance I need for doing 100% Effort, low cadence (55-65rpm), high Heart Rate work.

Weaknesses:    The resistance lever won't fit all bikes, it's fine on a MTB but I doubt it would fit my Syntace CF oversize road handlebars. It also needs to be done up tightly on my MTB to prevent it slipping around the handle bar when being adjusted. Still, this wouldn't stop me from buying the unit, even if I only had a road bike to use it with.

Bottom Line:
Great trainer for the money. I was originally tempted to go for a Kurt Kinetic, but despite having a road bike I am only using my MTB on the trainer. The Satori works very well because you can set the resistance level from almost nothing, to an effort that requires you to stand on the pedals and struggle to maintain a cadence of 50rpm. This is great because when doing 'Spinervals' or 'Chris Carmichael DVDs' you can get both the right cadence and heart rate at the same time, so you can do big gear, low cadence with high HR or spin flat out with low resistance. User selectable variable resistance is the key if you want to be able to train both HR and Cadance togethor. The Satori is also very solid, heavy and doesn't move around even when standing on pedals. The front wheel support is also good and best of all, it's quiet so I can train at night in my flat without annoying the neighbours.

Favorite Ride:   Burscheid Germany

Purchased At:   H&S Bike Discount in

Similar Products Used:   Nill - I looked at Kurt Kinetic but decided against it because of price and the fact that it doesn't offer user selectable resistance (you only have the gears on your bike) which I felt wouldn't offer the sort of resistance I was after, especially since I am using my MTB for training.

Bike Setup:   I use a 2002 Giant Rainer Aluminium MTB on the trainer because I've heard that putting CF road bikes on trainers puts a lot of stress on the bike frame because the bike can't move from side to side.

Submitted by greasybits a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2007

Strengths:    Quality of construction
Good range of resistance

Weaknesses:    Can be difficult to fit the resistance adjuster if running campag
Wasn't cheap

Bottom Line:
Fairly easy to set-up out the box, only slight difficulty is reaching the bolt to tighten the mag-unit on but it's nothing major. It's straight forward and quick to secure the bike in place using the quick release lever, and the mag unit is easy to get really tight against the wheel using the lever on the back (once you've set the height). The trainer feels sturdy, it's certainly not a lightweight design, and is solid even when going for it. The resistance adjuster feels well made, but needs a bit of space to clamp to the handlebars which is an issue since I'm running campagnolo (with cables under the tape). I've got it clamped over the tape just now, but I can't get it tight enough so need to use two hands to change the resistance. The front wheel block is well designed; it doubles up as a carrying handle for the trainer which is handy if you plan to use it for warming-up at races. Reasonably quiet - no complaints from downstairs yet. Overall - recommended.