American Classic Front Micro Hub Hubs

• Silver or Black Anodized

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Todd Richards a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2008

Strengths:    they glide so well especially at high spped. i'm always passing people on decents, and have to squeeze the brakes constantly when drafting. very fast.

Weaknesses:    120 psi max on a clincher, but speed mentioned above makes-up for any lack of tire pressure. i like riding them on 20c tires better than 23c. they are still very comfortable.

Bottom Line:
    I bought the AC 420 bladed spokes with ceramic bearings and can't say enough good things about them. the speciall BillShook design nipple works great, the aero profile is just what i was loking for. I've had no issues with the front hub as others have, probably becuase i got the ceramic upgrade? they are smooth as silk and I've had them in lots of bad conditions. I weigh 180lbs, use tem for tt and crits, but not 'cross.

Favorite Ride:   American Classic 420

Purchased At:   Bikeman.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic open pro rims on Campy record hubs, Zipp 404 (way more money, a but lighter but I'm afraid of riding something worth that much)

Bike Setup:   Dean custom ti roadbike with wide clearance for 32c tires for dirst roads. I use the AC 420 wheels for fast group rides and road racing.

Submitted by brizza a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    Light, Cheap, Light, and did I mention light?

Weaknesses:    Endcaps screw directly into the bearings making hub adjstment difficult.

There are no rubber caps to keep dirt and water away from the (sealed) bearings.

I got caught in the rain returning from a race, and my hubs felt like rubbish the next day.

Micro bearings wear very quickly if you get the load wrong. Don't over tighten your QR!

The lack of adjustment and micro bearings

Bottom Line:
    AC have a very lightweight design, with very small bearings. If you're looking for lightweight these are good hubs

Favorite Ride:   Time Trials

Purchased At:   LBS with AC420 Wheel

Similar Products Used:   Ultgera and 105 hubs

Bike Setup:   Scott CR1 Team Issue, DA10

Submitted by DirtDad a Road Racer from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    Weight, strength, durability, aerodyamics, value. You can build a world class wheelset with standard parts and maintain it easily.

Weaknesses:    Not widely available like Mavic stuff, but American Classic phone support makes up for that.

Bottom Line:
    I have ridden a set of American classic hubs hard for over two years now, including the Micro front and the Ultralight rear. I ride them for everything, including a daily commute. I hop curbs, take them down stairs at the train station, ride centuries, etc. These little gems have been no trouble at all. They are weightless, and their small size makes them very aero. They roll effortlessly and the bearings seem as smooth today as when they were new. My wheelset is 1/3 lb lighter than Ksyrium SLs, and I plan to shed another 100gm with American Classics 350 rims.

Favorite Ride:   One with big climbs and descents

Similar Products Used:   Ksyrium SLs, Dura-Ace, Ultegra

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR Carbon, Dura Ace/Ultegra, 15 lb.

Submitted by Keith a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight, sealed bearings that are easily serviced. In difference to the other reviewer, these hubs have BALL bearings of conventional cartridge type. No adjustments are necesary as bearing clearances are set at time of manufacture. The lightweight nature is due to Shook's design intent, using the aluminum axle under compression from the skewer to support the bending loads while the Ti collars support the minimal shear.

Hat's off to Bill for such an elegant design the WORKS!

Weaknesses:    Hard sell to conventional school types.

Bottom Line:
    Light, DURABLE and well-built.

Favorite Ride:   Ft. Davis

Purchased At:   closeout

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Campy

Bike Setup:   2000 CAAD 4

Submitted by JD a Road Racer from Lexington, VA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Lack of adjustment (but then again they've never gone out of adjustment).

Bottom Line:
    I'm usually very hard on wheels (I usually end up destroying at least one or two a year), but for such a small hub, it's held up very well for the past 5 years that I've owned it. I don't have any complaints about it at all. It has worked admirably and is still as smooth as the day I bought it...
    I'm surprised that there isn't any flex out of the hub because it is so light and small, but then again, I've got it mated to a Zipp carbon rim which adds some stiffness. I also only use the wheel for racing, so it is only ridden 50-60 times a year, which could be why it has lasted so long without any problems.

Favorite Ride:   Blue Ridge Parkway