Campagnolo Record Rear Hubs

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

In the realm of the unsung heroes of bicycle componentry, the value of a good hub cannot possibly be understated. Campagnolo's Record hubs have long been some of the most revered, imitated, and sought-after by enthusiasts, professionals, and their mechanics alike. The new Campagnolo Record Rear Hub continues those long traditions and introduces a new generation of cyclists to Record's smooth spinning capabilities, legendary durability, and sheer sex appeal. In short, it's as sexy as a hub can possibly be. Long-time Campagnolo aficionados might not recognize the subtly redesigned Record hubs, but rest assured that those changes have essentially been kept to the surface. The new hub body is slightly more angular than its predecessors, and a key alloy change in the freehub body has led to a significant weight reduction as well. But as far as the internals are concerned, the Record Rear Hub still comes equipped with Campagnolo's standard ball bearings; widely appreciated for their long life of smooth, and worry-free spinning. Keep in mind that if it's an even smoother spin that you crave, Campy's ceramic USB (Ultra Smooth Bearings) bearing system is available separately as an upgrade. Per their intelligent Italian design, all of Campagnolo's hubs grant easy access to the internals for regular, headache-free service and maintenance. Additionally, it's worth mentioning that they require no special wrenches for servicing either -- just another part of what makes them so popular for pro mechanics as well. The Record Rear Hub comes with Campagnolo's redesigned skewer, whose operation is based around a symmetrical fulcrum lever which maximizes clamping force with minimal effort. This hub tips the scales at 231 grams, and is available in a 32-hole drilling only. Bear in mind that the freehub body is splined to fit only Campagnolo cassettes.

Submitted by tayloryy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2009

Strengths:    Quality of parts, bearing interface design, durability, smoothness, weight

Weaknesses:    No 24h or less hubs for custom lightweight wheels

Bottom Line:
I believe Campy to be possibly the top engineered and performing bike equipment available. Plus, everything is rebuildable.

Purchased At:   Various

Similar Products Used:   Too many to count.

Bike Setup:   Campy record/chorus, Dura-ace/Ultegra, various other parts

Submitted by john a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2008

Strengths:    Typical Campy superiority in metalurgy, design, tolerances, bearings and bearing smoothness - durability and strength.

Weaknesses:    The majority of today's "riders" (no doubt Seig Heil obama followers) have their "bikes" outfitted with that fishing tackle company's "gruppo".

Therein lies a problem.....

Bottom Line:
Yet again, the folks in Vicenza show why their product is the best.

Similar Products Used:   No similar product, per se. One set of Hugi hubs I've used for over 15 years are, in their own right, phenominal.

Bike Setup:   Traditional lugged steel Italian frame(s), all Campy, 32x3X wheels........ This is still the best.

Submitted by trekker a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2003

Strengths:    Light, strong, beautiful durable finish, and reliable. The Campy grease do not have to be replaced until after 15,000 miles! When built correctly, they can handle lots of abuse and still get you home. Super smooth (when you have not replaced the original Campy grease, they will spin forever). Lovely internals - the bearings sing when you cruise at high speed.

Weaknesses:    Before I was told about the Campy 15,000 mile between grease overhaul, I had the shop replace the original grease after a year. The new lighter weigh grease required for the injection port leaked everywhere out of the exhaust ports on the hubs for the first two dozen rides. Very messy.

Bottom Line:
Excellent product! I had the local pro bike shop build up a set of Mavic Open Pro laced to the 28-hole Record hubs 3-crossed (14/15 DB spokes) front and rear. Note that I only weigh around 150 lbs. and that you should always have custom wheels built according to your weigh and their intended use. Over the last 2.5 years, I had to ask the shop to true them only once after I blew out the rear tire from a bad puncture while doing almost 40 mph down a long hill with my paniers. The rear wheel was so well built that it was still straight enough for me to ride even after coming to stop at high speed on a flat tire. I have over 3500 miles on my Campy Record Open Pros and they are still going strong. They are my wheelset of choice when I climb the local mountains because of their light weigh and strength to handle all the miles of very rough road on the descents. I am so confident in these wheels that I use them regularly when I carry my paniers on my commutes. These things are so rock solid that I ordered a second custom wheelset based on Campy Record hubs - Mavic CXP-33 (semi-aero) with exactly the same buildup configuration as my Open Pro wheels.

Favorite Ride:   Spring Time in So Cal

Purchased At:   Fastrack

Similar Products Used:   Rolf Sestieri - (DT hubs based wheels) even lighter but nowhere nearly as durable.

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200, Campy Chorus drivetrain, Record hubs, Kings headset, Thomson seatpost, TTT bars, Ritchey stem, Time pedals

Submitted by Michael a Recreational Rider from Huntindon Valley PA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Strengths:    None

Bottom Line:
In follow up of my last post, I've been informed by my LBS that they have had 4 Campy rear hubs returned to them in the last 2 weeks alone for the identical cracking problem I had. 3 Chorus and 1 Record. They are convinced that there is a significant production problem going on. Fortunately the hubs are covered by a 3 year warranty. All Campy hub owners would be well advised to have their rear hubs inspected. The problem seems to be limited to the the drive side spoke flange and the crack pattern has been identical on all hubs they have seen. Take the time now and avoid what could be a catastrophic failure at speed. Based on the apparent scope of the problem, I am lowering my rating on what is otherwise a stellar product.

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Crown Jewel - see last post

Submitted by Michael a Recreational Rider from Huntingdon Valley, PA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Strengths:    Finish, smoothness, tight tolerances, weight

Weaknesses:    spoke flange on drive side has multiple cracks. grease leaks past seals occasionally even though seals and surfaces are unblemished

Bottom Line:
Great hubs except for the puzzling cracks. Have 4500 miles on the hubs on roads that suffer the normal vagaries of a 4 season climate. Fortunately the 3 year warranty should cover the hub and it was time to put new spokes on anyway. Just glad I discovered the cracks before the rim went catastrophically out of true on a 48 mph descent. Lesson to be learned is that it's worth the time to be anally compulsive about cleaning and inspecting every nook and cranny of my bike every 2-3 weeks otherwise I never would have noticed the cracks.

Favorite Ride:   Frenchtown and back