Chris King R45 Hubs

3.43/5 (7 Reviews)

Build an ultra-fast race wheel around the super-light and incomparably smooth Chris King R45 Road Hub. These racing-specific hubs offer a 20-percent reduction in weight over the already light Classic Hubs and come in a variety of spoke drillings to accommodate your wildest wheel-building dreams.Precision-machined stainless steel bearings provide a smooth, fast rideAluminum hub shell is built to lastAnodized finish looks great and wears well

Submitted by HoogleDaBoogle

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2014

Strengths:    Purty...as a shiny ornament

Weaknesses:    Not for actual wheel building or use in a real-world cycling application.

Bottom Line:
Rear hub flew apart like a tissue-paper shack in a hurricane...on the very first ride. Unless you are a 135lb pro that gets everything for free, stay far away from pseudo-boutique crapola like these hubs. "Regular" folks will do much, much better just sticking to Shimano Ultegra hubs...and will have lots of bux leftover for copious amounts of post-ride beer. .

Submitted by mervbro a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2013

Strengths:    Nice performance, quiet rear hub with nice hum when spinning (unlike Mavic's loud clicking)

Weaknesses:    PEWTER COLOR IS REALLY LAVENDER IN SUNLIGHT

Bottom Line:
I ordered the R45's on a set of custom built wheels. In looking at the rainbow of colors available on the Chris King website, I went with "pewter" since it appeared to be a cool dark grey. When I got the wheels outside in the sunlight, I realized that they had turned from grey to what I would describe as... somewhere between purple and pink mixed with grey.

I called CK to see if maybe mine were just a bad set since they did not appear as pictured on their website and was told that the anodized finish has that effect in light, causing them to shimmer in tones of red and purple. They explained it as though it was a cool feature and that there was nothing they could do.. I told him to change the website pics to be more accurate.

Now I have a black bike with red/white accents...and purple hubs. I'll be buying a can of spray paint the next time I walk by a hardware store - it is that annoying.

Submitted by Gavin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2012

Strengths:    Phenomenal rolling qualities - smooth, ultra-quick engagement, low friction/drag, quiet

Weaknesses:    An expensive luxury, and not necessarily the lightest hub out there. Aluminium alloy cassette body a little soft and prone to scoring, but you're not going to see that on the road.

Bottom Line:
3,000 miles so far, and they've performed flawlessly. The front hub does what a front hub should do, but the rear is where the magic is. Engagement is very quick, which isn't normally noticeable on the flats, but phenomenal on hills and in rolling terrain. Laced to Stan's Alpha 340 rims with Sapim CX-Ray spokes for a stiff, light wheel (24/28 F/R), total weight around 1,300gms for the set. In fact, the Chris King R45/340/CX-Ray rear with an Ultegra casette weighs less the front stock Bontrager SSR alloy clincher on my Madone, taking a full 600gms of the weight of the bike for around $1k.

Best part about these hubs, though, is the freewheel noise... That angry bee noise isn't as obtrusive as the competition (especially the DT-240s), but makes a very satisfying noise as you fly down hill. Enough to encourage you to climb just to hear that noise on the way back down!

Favorite Ride:   Anything 60-80 miles with 2k-4k climbing!

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager SSR / TLR hubs

Bike Setup:   Trek Madone 4.5, Shimano 105 drivetrain; Ultegra brakes; Chris King R45 hubs laced to Stan's Alpha 340 rims & Sapim CX-Ray spokes; Specialized Romin saddle; FSA WingPro compact handlebars; Zipp Service Course stem

Submitted by Bikedave1234 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2011

Strengths:    Solid and well-built, Made in America, Angry bee sound.

Bottom Line:
I had these wheels built by my LBS. I chose the Chris King R45 road hubs after having good results from their cross hubs. I matched them to HED Belgium C2 rims with DT Swiss spokes. These wheels replaced my Mavic SL Premiums after I cracked my rear rim with a big pothole. These wheels are heavier than the Mavics, which I expected, and have 32 spokes. The weight and the spoke count are virtually unnoticeable. These wheels are smooth and spin up easily. I have the option of running lower tire pressure with the HED rims which makes them better on broken pavement. The hubs are well-made and have the Chris King bee sound I have come to love. If you want "Made in America" quality then go with Chris King and match them to the rim of your choice. I also use Chris King cross hubs on my cross bike matched with Mavic Open Pro rims. I love them as well.

Purchased At:   MOAB

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race, Easton EA-50, Mavic SL Premium, Mavic Open Pro with Chris King Cross Hubs

Bike Setup:   BMC SLT01, Complete Sram Red Group, 3T Ergonova Bar, FSA Stem, Specialized Toupe Saddle, Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost, Look Keo Carbon Pedals, Garmin Edge 800

Submitted by lipster95 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    a little

Weaknesses:    alot

Bottom Line:
these things suck balls.