DT Swiss Onyx Road Rear Hub Hubs

The Onyx line, specially designed for all-rounders, impresses with its very good price/value ratio and trendy design. Onyx hubs fit perfectly in all city and cross country mountain bikes. 100% Swiss made, patent pending.

Submitted by Balderick a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2006

Strengths:    Roll well. Well made. Low maintenance

Weaknesses:    Might be heavy, if that is a concern.

Bottom Line:
Came with a wheel upgrade when I purchased my Giant TCR Composite. I ride/train/race in all weather and I have never had to touch the hubs. When I purchased them I weighed 123kg, and now weigh 105kg. They roll very nicely, and seem to roll far better than my friends who have Ksyrium SLs (and we did swap bikes to see if it was a mass issue). For an entry level hub, they are great. My next hubs will be DT 240s.

Favorite Ride:   Newcastle to cessnock via Mt Sugerloaf (all NSW, Australia)

Purchased At:   Hadleys Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore,XT and Ulterga. Mavic hubs on Ksyrium SLs.

Bike Setup:   Standard Australian spec Giant TCR3 Carbon (eg. 9sp Ultegra, Easton EC70 bar, 23-11 cassette) plus Polar s720 monitor and Oval Concepts seat post.

Submitted by Kalukis a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Strengths:    Low (ie, no) maintenance

Weaknesses:    Wish they came in silver

Bottom Line:
Got them as part of a wheelset built up by Joe Young (www.youngwheels.com). They stay truer longer than the wheels I had built using Shimano hubs--something about flange angle, etc. I'm 240 lbs. and I've had problems with other wheels staying true -- not these.

Favorite Ride:   Texas Hill Country

Purchased At:   Joe Young Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 105 & Ultegra hubs.

Bike Setup:   Hans Schneider road bike