Home | Reviews | Hubs | Shimano

• Compatible With 8 or 9-Speed Cassettes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Benben a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2011

Strengths:    Smooth. Light years better than Tiagra.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see.

Bottom Line:
    Very smooth hub. Great quality/price ratio. Had hub built around Mavic cxp 33 rims. Six years later, rims are gone (sides too thin) and same hub laced around Alex DA 28 rims. Still going strong. Would guess at least 8000kms on these hub. Yes, I would buy again.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Natural Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore, Tiagra

Bike Setup:   First year Kona Dr. Dew 2001?

Submitted by Yeit a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2005

Strengths:    Solid and durable. A great choice for general purpose riding of all kinds. Can handle just about anything, except ultra-rough roads.

Weaknesses:    Comparatively heavy (but considering it's intended use, so what?). Not as smooth or elegant as high end hubs.

Bottom Line:
    A good, solid hub for the money. These came stock when I bought a new wheelset: 105 hubs, Mavic MA 3 rims. The rear rim needs to be replaced, but hub is fine.

Similar Products Used:   Deore LX hub (mountain bike), Sora hub

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek XO-1 cyclocross, bar-ends, LX rear derailleur

Submitted by vancouver_velo_rider a Recreational Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2003

Strengths:    buttery smooth, they hold their spin for a longtime, low price compared to dura-ace, ultegra etc.

Weaknesses:    none whatsoever

Bottom Line:
    After a few months on my new 105's built with CXP-21's, I want to post this review for the people who are thinking about upgrading their wheelset on a budget. I was previously using the Sora wheelset before my upgrade. I would like to say that there is a dramatic increase in performance between the 2 sets. I love the way the 105's pick-up speed, as you crank on the pedals, the wheels just keep buliding momentum and when you're at your peak speed it does not take much effort to maintain it as the hubs want to spin forever. This is the best way I can describe these wheels. Keep in mind that I'm coming from an entry level wheelset. The 105 hubs are so smooth that its like pedaling through butter. In my opinion, one of the best upgrades you can do for your bike is upgrading the drive train. This includes the Crankset, BB and wheels/hubs. I also upgraded my crankset from a triple Sora to a double Ultegra crank and BB. This upgrade has truly transformed my ride that my bike feels completely different. These little upgrades I'm most happy about since its such a joy to ride my bike now. I can't wait till spring/summer comes along. My commute will be so much more enjoyable with my new transformed ride. I recommend the 105's strongly.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere without cars

Purchased At:   private sale

Similar Products Used:   older 105's mid 1980's

Bike Setup:   med-compact frame, 105 hubs on CXP-21
    Ultegra double 53/39

Submitted by rich9cinti a Recreational Rider from Cincinnati, Ohio

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth, durable, low replacement cost

Weaknesses:    It doesn't say Ultegra or Dura Ace

Bottom Line:
    I have all 105's components on my bike. I agree, the hub weight is irrelevant. This is a smooth hub and I have no complaints.

Favorite Ride:   Rural roads