Home | Reviews | Hubs | Shimano

• Front Hub

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by vancouver_velo_rider a Commuter from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2003

Strengths:    buttery smooth, speed-fast, durable, spins forever...

Weaknesses:    no-weaknesses

Bottom Line:
    I have to mention that the $150 is canadian dollars for the whole wheelset front & back which I failed to post on my other 105 hub review. That being said, this was huge bargain deal for me. This front hub is awesome. I have both Sora & 105 wheels so for comparison I spun both of them equally. The 105 front hub spun so much more smoother, quieter and a lot longer that I had to stop the wheel otherwise it would have kept spinning. On the road it is butter smooth. The Hub is also quite good looking, much slimmer than the Sora and has a tapered shape with a highly polished chrome finish. Makes my bike look sleeker. Not much difference between this hub and its more expensive sibling the ultegra. You can't go wrong with this hub. Both front & rear hub are more than adequate enough for me to enjoy my ride. I do not race but if need be, these hubs can be raced For my purposes of commuting and joy-rides, they offer plenty of performance and ride-quality than I'll ever need or want. So for you new bike enthusiast out there riding on Sora, Tiagra, and or lesser hubs than the 105, give these hubs a try and you will see what I mean. You will experience a dramatic increase in speed-performance as well as the smoothness and nice ride quality when you pedal your bike. Read my reveiew of the 105 rear hub as well.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere without traffic and smooth pavement

Purchased At:   private sale

Similar Products Used:   mid-80's older 105's. my old 105's still look & perform like they were brand new. I plan to keep these for a long time.

Bike Setup:   Wheels are front & rear 105 hubs with CXP-21 rims. Upgraded Cranks from Sora to Hollowtech Ultegra 53/39 with 105 BB. No matter what your ride is, you put a lightweight crankset & 105 wheels, you'll never look back. It will transform your ride and put a big smile on your face!

Submitted by Cam a Road Racer from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2001

Strengths:    Strong like bull... I'm sure I will never wear them out.
    Easy to repack.

Weaknesses:    The most un-sexy component on my bike.
    It's heavy, but when I'm a little heavy after a long winter, I can ride them without fear or remorse... So, I guess that's not a weakness is it?

Bottom Line:
    It's cheap. It will work forever.

But, once the rim dies, why would you want to build it up again? It's almost cheaper to buy a complete pre-fab wheel then buy a rim, spokes, and then pay a shop to build it up.

Oh well... Excellent product for the money though.

Favorite Ride:   long & hard