Sturmey Archer S80 8-Speed Hubs

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Sturmey-Archer S80 8-Speed hub includes shifter, cable and mounting hardware. Includes shifter, cable, and mounting hardware 305% gear range Disc hub axle length is 185mm Freewheel axle length is 170mm Item Specifications Color Silver Hub Drilling 36 spokes Hub/Brake Compatibility 6-Bolt Disc

Submitted by Jono a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2016

Strengths:    Shifting, gear range, chain line, reliability. I've just cleared the first 1000 miles with an XRK-8 and mechanical disk brake. Overall I'm very impressed with it. Top gear is too high for most things, and bottom too low, so the range is excellent and suits most hilly areas. It's not silent, but in a nice clockwork fizzing, buzzing sort of way; I've come to enjoy the company of it. I have vertical drop-outs but have paired this hub with a Surly Singleator chain tensioner. Once set up, it's needed zero adjustment or maintenance since.

Shifts are reliable once you get the feel for them. It's not the same as derailleur shifting so shift often and shift early to keep your momentum up the hills. The chainline is lovely with a 113mm UK 68mm square taper bottom bracket.

For commuting and touring I can think of few better, or more reliable partners.

Weaknesses:    I can see a couple of arguments against this. First is weight. However compare it to all the components in a standard setup and it's not too bad. You knew what you were getting anyway, didn't you?

Second is the choice of gear range, and specifically that 1:1 is 1st gear and not in the middle. Anyone with larger wheels (26" and above) needs to plan their chainring carefully so it's not necessarily a straight swap if you're replacing a cassette.

Last is cost. It's not all that cheap, and Shimano's Nexus and Alfine seem to dominate the market so it's difficult to differentiate why you would obviously get this even with a 25% gear range advantage (325% vs Shimano's 300%). So far as I can tell, it doesn't come with a belt drive option either.

Bottom Line:
It's a good product, make no mistake, and you won't be disappointed with it. Plan your chainring and accept the time it takes to re-learn shifting. Once it's dialled in it's excellent and after a 1000 miles it feels like it's settled in nicely.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   It fits on a FWD MBB recumbent, I have 26" wheels and went with a matching S-A 33T crankset and 25T sprocket. Surly Singelator chain tensioner, S-A twist shifter. For someone with 700c wheels it's worth thinking about the 30T crankset.

Submitted by JohnnyTooBad

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    Works well, cost

Weaknesses:    Drum Brake is weak, gearing gaps, shifter mounting, installation instructions.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the SA 5 Speed hub with internal drum brake (the hub isn't listed, so I put it here).

I had this hub built onto a new Sun wheel by Covered Bridge Cyclery to convert my single speed commuter for a hillier commute. It works well (as advertised), but there are a couple of issues. First, it uses a nut that prevents the axle from spinning, but that nut prevents you from using Tug Nuts on a bike with horizontal drops.

The installation instructions are for a few different models and they say "do this" or "do that" but don't specify which hub you do "this" or "that" for. So it slows down the install.

The brake cable is fully housed and has lugs at either end. If it is too long for your bike (probably is, because it was too long for my 61cm bike), you need to cut off the brake drum lug and use a different (supplied) one. I didn't have to cut the housing, but if you do, you might need to use your own housing end cap because it comes with them moulded into the housing (non-removable). Also, if using your own brake lever, you may need to cut the lug off anyway, to feed it through the lever. None of this is in the installation manual.

The drum brake doesn't work very well. I only have 40 miles of commuting on it, and I hear it may need time to seat-in better, but it's a lot weaker than normal road bike brakes.

I ordered a thumb shifter with mine. It seems SA thinks that all bikes have very old, narrow diameter, straight, handle bars. If I had tried to use the grip shifter, I would have been totally SOL. Especially with bull horn bars, because it wouldn't make it around the curve, even if it did fit the diameter. To get the thumb shifter on, I had to bend the aluminum clamp open, put a grinding wheel to it to make it round again, and use a longer clamp screw that I was lucky enough to have in my parts box.

I also had to trim the plastic cover that covers the shift cable at the axle because it was hitting my fender screw.

Once installed, it works as advertised and quite well. It's very easy to adjust the brake and shifter cables. My only real issue is that I got a 5 speed, and it has huge gearing gaps. If I had to do it again, I'd get an 8 speed to narrow the gaps. I also would order it without the drum brake (which, by the way, also makes taking the wheel off the bike more difficult). Of course, I could always switch back to my old rear brake and ignore the drum brake. It also will take some getting used to shifting with little or no pressure on the pedals or not spinning at all. Works great for coming to a stop at a light, though. But not so good for climbing.