Mr Tuffy 700c Tire Liners Rim Strip

Step up your puncture protection with Mr. Tuffy Tire Liners. These re-usable polyurethane strips form a protective barrier along the inside of your tire preventing inner tube punctures caused by sharp objects like thorns and broken glass.Mr. Tuffy liners are lighter than self-sealing and thorn resistant inner tubes effective against a wider variety of road hazards and they're easy to install -- no gooey mess. Sold in pairs enough for one bicycle.

Submitted by Bretto a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2017

Strengths:    Light
Prevent 90% of punctures
Easy to fit

Weaknesses:    A mm or two wider would be good

Bottom Line:
I ride a range of MTB, touring bikes and road bikes and hate getting punctures. These liners prevent a high percentage of 'nuisance' punctures, such as fragments of glass, fine wire, small stones, minor thorns etc.

I first used them on my touring bike and immediately had success. A friend had several punctures on the same trip where I had none (3,000 km in Thailand where the roads have lots of metallic debris). I've also ridden for 3 months and 5,000km puncture-free in Vietnam on basic touring tyres (Maxxis Overdrive). The debris there includes metal parts off vehicles, wire, stones and broken bricks (lots of broken bricks!). Maybe I was lucky, but most people seem to get several punctures on such a ride. Since then, I put them on my MTB, then my 'B' road bike, and recently my 'A' road bike.

As far as I can tell, they have no effect on the ride. The weight is almost zero. Bike rolls the same. In my opinion, adding them to a conventional tyre is a good option, saving weight and rolling faster than heavy duty road or touring tyres (Schwalbe Marathons etc).

In summary, these have been VERY good for me. Even if they only prevented 10 or 20% of punctures they'd be great, but I think they are much more effective than that.

Submitted by dave a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2014

Strengths:    none, over rated

Weaknesses:    mr tuffy is too thin, im using mr tuffy & thorn proof tubes but the thorns keep getting through mr tuffy, waste of money

Bottom Line:
total waste of money will not stop even the smallest of thorns

Favorite Ride:   mountain bike

Purchased At:   cowra new south wale

Submitted by Poppadaddio

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2012

Strengths:    They work!

Weaknesses:    Minor weight addition, more difficult to reinstall after a flat repair.

Bottom Line:
I believe that I have fewer flats with Mr. Tuffys and run them in all my tires (except tubeless).
I don't notice their weight or any increase in rolling resistance.
You can still get flats. There isn't a tire out there that can't be punctured and they don't prevent pinch flats, of course. So keep your tires inflated properly.
If I do have a flat out on the road I don't try to re-install the Tuffy out there on the side of the road. I just take it home and carefully re-mount the tire in the controlled environment of my garage, where I can be sure to get the tube installed without pinching, the liner laying flat, and the tire bead seated just right, etc. A lot of flats are caused by sloppy remounting and it happens when you are in a hurry.
I'm aware of the issure with the abrupt end of the strips and must concede that it is possible for a Tuffy to actualyl cause a puncture. I have noticed slight damage to the tubes where the strips end, but only on tires THAT HAVE GONE A VERY LONG TIME WITHOUT A FLAT AND DID NOT NEED TO BE REPAIRED FOR A VERY LONG TIME BECAUSE THE TUFFY HAD BEEN DOING ITS JOB FOR MANY MILES!

Submitted by brklyn panda a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2011

Strengths:    they work ridicoulsly good...i never had one flat while riding with these

Weaknesses:    they can cause flats, so in the beginning i tried to install myself with zero luck so i'd always bring them to the shop, but after carefully watching the mechancic i can now install myself...just line them up best as possible and definatly sound down the beginning and end (just look how the sides come to a point but the ends don't)...

Bottom Line:
i first found out about these flimsy liners and thought what a waiste of money but to my surprise they worked on a mountain bike i was hauling around throughout nyc (and yes there's ton's of debri)...anyways i was happy with them and i don't think i got one flat while i rode the mountain bike maybe another 200 miles before i sold it...so i got my first road bike last year and decided to go with kevlar gatorskins and i alsow wanted to double up the protection so i also put in the mr tuffy's (just because i believe in them so much and i didn't care that the bike mechanic was laughing at me)...anyways i used this bike to commute to and from work each day from march to november...and in the beginning of putting on the cont. gatorskins and the mr tuffy's i did the nyc century ride and at the end of the ride i noticed a huge gash taken out of my new gatorskin and to this day i don't know how i didn't get a flat b/c the tear tore right through the gatorskin (i could see all the different layers it had), anyways i didn't get a flat (mr tuffy is great)...and i tried to return the gatorskin but the lbs said it was probably just bad luck and didn't look like a defect in the tire (which he was probably right)...anyways i clocked about 2000 miles of riding last year and zero flats on my tomasso road bike with the gatorskin and mr tuffy, to this day i still have the torn gatorskin and mr tuffy on my bike and still no flat (knock on wood)...anyways i just bought an on sale felt s32 tri bike and of course i will put on the mr tuffy's...i know it sounds as though i have stock in the company but really i just want to help out other cyclists...but they do have some weaknesses which i describe in the weaknesses box

Favorite Ride:   nyc

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   i never tried the one bell makes you could get at walmart but they might work aswell

Bike Setup:   commute with a tomasso imola road bike (no carbon fork) and love the bike...
just purchased the felt s32 tri bike

Submitted by schlaefer88 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2009

Strengths:    Stopped my flats problem.

Weaknesses:    Add weight, a little tricky getting them properly placed in the tire.

Bottom Line:
I was getting too many winter flats with my UltraGatorskins and the Sportsbasement folks suggested I try these. No puncture flats in last two years, 6000 miles + commuting.

Favorite Ride:   Montebello Road